Sad Sack Johnson cut by the Giants

TheMadCap

Love how you choose 4 out of the 5 Bills' losses and point to those as reasons why Flutie was an inadequate QB.  You then proceed to take the single, solitary example of a stellar Rob Johnson performance to justify his talent. Pretty weak argument.

What you (conveniently) leave out is that with Flutie at QB, the Bills consistently held the time of possession advantage.  While you claim that the objective was to get the ball out of Flutie's hands and into the hands of our defense, the opposite was actually happening. Flutie led an offense that actually CONVERTED on 3rd down -- what a novel concept.  In doing so, the defense stayed fresh and when on the field, was able to make plays. 

Flutie was no Peyton Manning but he executed the winning formula to perfection -- get positive yards, avoid sacks, and keep the time of posession advantage in your favor.  In those 10 wins, the offense held the ball for ON AVERAGE 10 minutes longer than the opposing team.  That is a huge disparity. Was Flutie solely reponsible for this?  Of course not, this is a team game.  But it does say something about the QB when you complete 3rd downs more often than not.

755478[/snapback]

So if Flutie was such a great QB, Why did he never have a starting job after leving Buffalo? There obviously had to be some reason why

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So if Flutie was such a great QB, Why did he never have a starting job after leving Buffalo? There obviously had to be some reason why

755481[/snapback]

Yea well if Rob was so good how come I never sat down and enjoyed a box of Johnson Flakes???

END OF DISCUSSION!!!

Yea well if Rob was so good how come I never sat down and enjoyed a box of Johnson Flakes???

END OF DISCUSSION!!!

755541[/snapback]

Damn, good one, never thought of that. course johnson doesn't have the charitible foundation thingy either.

755481[/snapback]

Um...'ski...are you sure he didn't start for San Diego?

Underappreciated Flutie deserved a better fate

I always felt Flutie got screwed here - after being signed with the understanding that he'd have the opportunity to compete for the starting job, they just handed it to RJ after that God-Awful trade, and Flutie was relegated to backup until RJ fell on a football and got an 'owie' that kept him out of action for what, 7 weeks?

Imagine Jim Kelly - or any real competitor - letting Flutie take your job away 'cause you fell on a football - and it hurts.

RJ = wuss.

755481[/snapback]

He was the starter for all 16 games in SD in 2001.

This obviously invalidates your question.

You have to love revisionist history....or simply historical retelling that fits a personal slant.  The facts that came to light were that Ralphie wanted to see his investment play.  And who can blame an old man for wanting to play with his Johnson, no one else would have. Once the Flutie led (?) Bills delivered a playoff birth, Ralph became the puppet master and Wade the puppet. The rest is lore.  On top of that, after throrough interviewing....master head football coach Greg Williams chose Rob Johnson....another feather in the RJ cap. 

754474[/snapback]

"I love posts like this that state "opinion only" as if it is fact. Because you say it (or type it) doesn't make it true....or for that matter, even close to the truth." - Garranimal

Pot, meet kettle.

RTB

He was the starter for all 16 games in SD in 2001. 

This obviously invalidates your question.

755583[/snapback]

Sorry, I stand corrected, he started one year after playing in Buffalo, i thought Brees was starting when they brought Flutie in.

It still doesn't completely invalidate my question though, only one year as a starter after leaving Buffalo?

Um...'ski...are you sure he didn't start for San Diego?

Underappreciated Flutie deserved a better fate

I always felt Flutie got screwed here - after being signed with the understanding that he'd have the opportunity to compete for the starting job, they just handed it to RJ after that God-Awful trade, and Flutie was relegated to backup until RJ fell on a football and got an 'owie' that kept him out of action for what, 7 weeks?

Imagine Jim Kelly - or any real competitor - letting Flutie take your job away 'cause you fell on a football - and it hurts.

RJ = wuss.

755548[/snapback]

RJ was many things, virtually all recapped here, positive and negative. A wuss, he was not. He was prone to injury, but he always tried to bring his A game. I'm not a Flutie fan, but will acknowledge he was exciting to watc from time to time. Exciting to watch, a large number of fans in his corner, and almost circus-like atmosphere around him....and he still wasn't chosen as the heir apparent to lead the team. Bottom line for me, he was pegged as a guy who couldn't lead long term, and off he went.

If Flutie got screwed here, and I don't think he did, the fable is written that he was screwed before that and after it as well. He was overlooked by the NFL. He never got a fair shot. Blah blah blah. The end result is he played a few years, got some shots, and ultimately wasn't deemed consistently good enough to start in the league. I wasn't either, I just found out a heck of a lot earlier in life, and never got the coin that he did.

Yeah...he was.

An incompetent, heartless, frightened, confused, deer-in-the-headlights-please-don't-hit-me-I'm-afraid-to get hit wuss.

(Sorry, but he was.)

756058[/snapback]

If he was afraid to get hit, why would he hang onto the ball (presumably waiting for a play to develop) and end up getting sacked constantly?

If he had no heart, why would he even attempt an NFL comeback in 2006 when he clearly didn't need the money?

Rob Johnson just wasn't good enough to be an NFL quarterback. That's all there was to it. Any other attacks aren't necessary.

If he was afraid to get hit, why would he hang onto the ball (presumably waiting for a play to develop) and end up getting sacked constantly?

756074[/snapback]

Please see the part about incompetent and confused.

If he had no heart, why would he even attempt an NFL comeback in 2006 when he clearly didn't need the money?

756074[/snapback]

I'm not as familiar with his finances as you are, but did read something about him being "not even able to pump gas!" Whether he was broke, or too dumb, or too hurt, I'm not sure.

Rob Johnson just wasn't good enough to be an NFL quarterback.  That's all there was to it.

756074[/snapback]

Truer words were never spoken. He was also a wuss.

Please see the part about incompetent and confused.

I'm not as familiar with his finances as you are, but did read something about him being "not even able to pump gas!" Whether he was broke, or too dumb, or too hurt, I'm not sure.

Truer words were never spoken.  He was also a wuss.

756095[/snapback]

Easy there Mr. Flutie (or is this Dougs mom?) I think its time to let this rest

You had your chance elsewhere to be a starter, and it didn't work out for you