Aaron Gibson - how is he doing?

Just wondering - how is Aaron Gibson doing? I've not heard much about him so I'm assuming his performance is pedestrian at best. Given his past draft position, Jauron's knowledge of him, and a 'this is my last chance' attitude, I was hoping we might get lucky here and get a starter out of thin air. We could certainly use a gift to make up for the Mike Williams bust.

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Just wondering - how is Aaron Gibson doing?  I've not heard much about him so I'm assuming his performance is pedestrian at best.  Given his past draft position, Jauron's knowledge of him, and a 'this is my last chance' attitude, I was hoping we might get lucky here and get a starter out of thin air.  We could certainly use a gift to make up for the Mike Williams bust.

751313[/snapback]

Hmm, I wonder how much he's played in the preseason, I don't get to see the games. If he's not getting reps with the 2nd team by now I'd say his chances are slim. It'd be nice to see the guy perform and turn things around.

Did anyone see the play late in the Bengal game when three seperate Bengals went right into Gibson and all three just bounced off him and went down or backwards. I was laughing out loud. IIRC it was a running play and the third guy was kind of thrown into Gibson but Aaron didn't even see him. The guy just barreled into him from behind but immediately just keeled over. It was really funny.

If Gibson cannot beat out a converted TE for the RT position, he does not belong on this team. I doubt Jauron brought him in to backup Peters. I think he had intended to get a real RT, and not we are stuck with a TE who got moved into the RT position out of the lack of depth.

If Gibson cannot beat out a converted TE for the RT position, he does not belong on this team.  I doubt Jauron brought him in to backup Peters.  I  think he had intended to get a real RT, and not we are stuck with a TE who got moved into the RT position out of the lack of depth.

751469[/snapback]

Are you serious?

Very serious....I am not impressed with Peters at RT.  He is an excellent run blocker, but Julius Peppers made that boy look like a turnstile on pass plays.

751481[/snapback]

Julius Peppers makes almost every tackle look like a turnstile. I'm happy with Peters' progress so far.

Julius Peppers makes almost every tackle look like a turnstile.  I'm happy with Peters' progress so far.

751482[/snapback]

I think the kid has done very well. Like you said he is a converted TE who has unreal athletic ability for his size. Just because he got beat a couple of times by the best defensive end in the game does not make the kid a turnstyle. There is no way they would have extended him if they thought he wasnt going to be the future of this line. He is by far the best thing going for this offense.

Julius Peppers makes almost every tackle look like a turnstile.  I'm happy with Peters' progress so far.

751482[/snapback]

Correct if I am wrong, but Peppers usually lines up over the LT. He lined up over the RT, and still beat him easily. I guess most people are high on this guy, but I think he will be just an average to below average RT during the season...IMHO

Correct if I am wrong, but Peppers usually lines up over the LT.  He lined up over the RT, and still beat him easily.  I guess most people are high on this guy, but I think he will be just an average to below average RT during the season...IMHO

751488[/snapback]

I think Peters has a good chance at being our best lineman this year. That being said, I've seen more bad plays from him in the first two PS games than the entire second half of last season. He may be getting off to a slow start this year, but if he continues to improve anywhere near the speed he did last year, he'll be great.

If Gibson cannot beat out a converted TE for the RT position, he does not belong on this team.  I doubt Jauron brought him in to backup Peters.  I  think he had intended to get a real RT, and not we are stuck with a TE who got moved into the RT position out of the lack of depth.

751469[/snapback]

Ummm....so in Jacksonville if Reggie Williams can't beat out Matt Jones, a converted QB for a starting receiver role he doesn't belong on that team??? At least at TE Peters would line up on the end of the line and have blocking responsibilities.

Correct if I am wrong, but Peppers usually lines up over the LT.  He lined up over the RT, and still beat him easily.  I guess most people are high on this guy, but I think he will be just an average to below average RT during the season...IMHO

751488[/snapback]

Dude, I rarely say this to people....... but you're on crack!

Jason Peters was in my eyes, the best (and most consistent) lineman we had last year. The man is freakishly athletic. I think you're focusing way too hard on the fact that he's a converted TE. So what?! He was a 300 lb. TE with an emphasis on blocking. Antonio Gates was a basketball player who never played a down of college football. Would you have a problem with Antonio Gates because he's a converted basketball player too?

As for your thought that Jauron brought in Gibson to beat out Peters, you couldn't be more wrong. From Day 1 of camp, they were lining him up at Guard. Last season the Bills tried to lock-up Peters long-term but he wouldn't do it because he knew if he waited he'd get a big time deal. He signed a long-term deal this year for an undisclosed amount. But he did sign which means 1.) It was the money he was looking for and 2.) the Bills want him long-term.

If you watched the preseason game against the Panthers a couple weeks ago; Peters was dominating Peppers. Being upset at a lineman because they had a bad game against Julius Peppers is like calling Richmond Webb a bad lineman because he had trouble with Bruce Smith. I dare you to make a post stating that Jason Peters is nothing special. I'd be surprised if you had anyone on your side.

Now as for Aaron Gibson, the guy was brought in for dirt-cheap on the low for some depth. In camp he proved that he is very valuable as a backup and was downright dominant. I think from Day 1 they had their line set as Gandy/Reyes/Fowler/Villarial/Peters and they were looking at Gibson as a reserve. I think he's earned the spot and I doubt that he'll be cut.

751488[/snapback]

You're wrong. And couldn't be more wrong on this. In fact, Peters played Peppers last year in a regular season game, the entire game, and Peppers had two tackles and one sack for nine yards on a play the QB held the ball. He played him very well.

I am wrong....Peppers plays LDE....IMHO I think Peters is average...when the season starts we shall see.

I am less hung up on converted TE, then he was converted from TE because the Bills lacked depth at RT last season.

I knew MW would struggle because he played LT in college and the RT was different footwork. I think Peters does not have the pass blocking footwork. He developed a TE mentality of run blocking footwork...that is all...we can agree to disagree.