Now That I Have Seen It...A Few Quick Thoughts...

1) Ricard is no joke. Did anybody notice that he had a couple of crushing blocks? He reminds me a bit of a Carwell Gardner with longer arms. It is all good.

2) My heart almost stopped when Peters came up limping. I know that he is young and needs work, but the kid can play. I hope they don't leave him in too long in these meaningless games, because if he gets hurt, JP is in trouble.

3) Speaking of JP....I have seen excuses abound. The one that sticks out is that he is "jittery" rather than inaccurate.

I am thinking that he might lack concentration. He HAS the tools. The thing is, both the pick and at least 1 of the fumbles could have been avoided imo, especially the pick. On that play the corner was blitzing, but he did have time to make release the ball, perhaps even make a play. In that sense, maybe he IS jittery! :devil:0:)

In any event, Bills Fans have a right to expect more from him. He has the skills. That is a given. Imo, the question is in his head.

4) I am surprised that none of you "blind optimists" (ahem, e-ball :D ) spoke up about the play of our DEs. Schobel didn't tear it up, but he rarely does in pre-season. Denney and Kelsay both played quite well imo.

Sadly, all Bills DEs get compared to Bruce. The problem with this is that only 3 or 4 guys in the history of football were in his class. This "high motor white guy" stuff is bu!!sh--. Kelsay and Denney are in the beginning of their prime. Schobel is one of the best pass rushers in football.

Imo, the Bills are well situated at DE, period.

5) Lee Evans is just a joy to watch. This kid has gears that he probably hasn't used yet. I am talking about blinding speed!

6) GO BILLS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

1) Ricard is no joke. Did anybody notice that he had a couple of crushing blocks? He reminds me a bit of a Carwell Gardner with longer arms. It is all good.

2) My heart almost stopped when Peters came up limping. I know that he is young and needs work, but the kid can play. I hope they don't leave him in too long in these meaningless games, because if he gets hurt, JP is in trouble.

3) Speaking of JP....I have seen excuses abound. The one that sticks out is that he is "jittery" rather than inaccurate.

I am thinking that he might lack concentration. He HAS the tools. The thing is, both the pick and at least 1 of the fumbles could have been avoided imo, especially the pick. On that play the corner was blitzing, but he did have time to make relaease the ball, perhaps even make a play. In that sense, maybe he IS jittery!  :devil:  0:)

In any event, Bills Fans have a right to expect more from him. He has the skills. That is a given. Imo, the question is in his head.

4) I am surprised that none of you "blind optimists" (ahem, e-ball  :D ) spoke up about the play of our DEs. Schobel didn't tear it up, but he rarely does in pre-season. Denney and Kelsay both played quite well imo.

Sadly, all Bills DEs get compared to Bruce. The problem with this is that only 3 or 4 guys in the history of football were in his class. This "high motor white guy" stuff is bu!!sh--. Kelsay and Denney are in the beginning of their prime. Schobel is one of the best pass rushers in football.

Imo, the Bills are well situated at DE, period.

5) Lee Evans is just a joy to watch. This kid has gears that he probably hasn't used yet. I am talking about blinding speed!

6) GO BILLS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

749297[/snapback]

ive been meaning to post a topic regarding this, but how do you see our FB situation playing out? are we going to keep both? if ricard is really better then why was he sitting in free agency so long?

ive been meaning to post a topic regarding this, but how do you see our FB situation playing out? are we going to keep both? if ricard is really better then why was he sitting in free agency so long?

749300[/snapback]

FB is not a must-have position these days. There are plenty of good athletes at the

fullback spot that sit waiting.

I just got done watching the first half as well, and the one thing that I noticed was that Denney was a monster. On one play, when Cin. was down on their own goaline, Denney crushed both RB and FB to get to the QB and bat down the pass.

I am also worried about our lack of a pass rush at times. There were times that we generated pressure, and it showed, but it wasn't consistent enough. Our run defense was superb.

Our offense can be "chunktastic" at times, and that was obvious. Our OL played a lot better, opening holes for both WM and AT and providing enough time for JP to make some reads and get off some great throws. He did make some mistakes toward the end of the half, but I think play calling will be a little different in the regular season when WM is on the field the majority of the time.

The coaching staff did provide some good playcalling i.e. the TD pass to LE. They went right after the aggressive play of Keiwan Ratliff after he picked JP off for the TD earlier.

Overall I was impressed with the capability of our offense and our D played well as well. We just have to eliminate the turnovers and I think our ST and D will keep us in the majority of the games that we play.

FB is not a must-have position these days. There are plenty of good athletes at the

749304[/snapback]

i dont think it is a must-have, but there are FB's out there that can physically produce a running game, guys like lorenzo neal and tony richardson who have blocked for a 1,000 yard rusher for the last 8-10 years no matter who it is back there, i think we are in a good situation with either shelton or ricard, is there a possibility of keeping both, or does everyone see it as one or the other

749304[/snapback]

It probably is not for the Bengals, but it is for a team that lacks this sort of OL.

Not that it applies to the current Bills, but guys like Gash and Johnston are also HUGE plusses for less mobile qbs such as Bledsoe and Aikman.

if ricard is really better then why was he sitting in free agency so long?

749300[/snapback]

Because he's a fullback who was on IR last year because of a chronic calf problem. Teams who use fullbacks generally have one already, plus everyone was obviously leery of his calf.

Shelton was out of football for the entire 2003 season after being suspended for steroid use for part of 2002, that's why he was cheap in 2004. Not necessarily because he isn't a good player.

I wouldn't be surprised to see both of them make it with the backup being a special teams demon, both on returns and coverage. Fullback is an extremely high contact position and Shelton has missed some games over the years, as has Ricard. We don't have another true blocking back on the roster. Ricard and Shelton stay and Burns goes I think.

i dont think it is a must-have, but there are FB's out there that can physically produce a running game, guys like lorenzo neal and tony richardson who have blocked for a 1,000 yard rusher for the last 8-10 years no matter who it is back there, i think we are in a good situation with either shelton or ricard, is there a possibility of keeping both, or does everyone see it as one or the other

749309[/snapback]

Absolutely. CIN gave Jeremi Johnson the top NFL FB contract this year. Blocks like a lineman - big help to Rudi Johnson et al, and protects the qb. He has soft hands, too. 3 pass tds last season. Not a Larry Centers, but serves when called upon.

Neal was a big help to former cincy rb Dillon.

I'm a big fan of having a good fb on a team.

After seeing the INT it was clearly and simply a blown play by Losman who saw one thing and didn't anticipate the other. He saw the corner that was supposed to be covering Reed blitzing and immediately went Reed's way ignoring the safety who disguised the jump. It was the perfect call by the bengals and something that Losman hadn't seen before. Now I know what Jauron was talking about. Reed also saw something he had never seen before and didnt know what he was supposed to do because his read wasn't there anymore. He just stopped and looked confused. Still, it's all on the quarterback on that play. It didn't really matter what Reed did, whether he went inside or out the safety was going to get the ball first. Losman was also hurried on the play by the blitzing CB which likely led to his bad decision.

Jauron said they hadn't game planned for the Bengals and JP wasn't schooled for that kind of defense and was therefore schooled.

Both of the fumbles were also clearly Losman's fault.

Both of the fumbles were also clearly Losman's fault.

749326[/snapback]

You don't think the 2nd fumble was on Preston? The guy plowed right through him, and it seemed he reached Losman just as he was finished dropping back...at least that's how I remember it...maybe I remembered wrong...or are you talking from a basic "ball handling" perspective?

You don't think the 2nd fumble was on Preston?  The guy plowed right through him, and it seemed he reached Losman just as he was finished dropping back...at least that's how I remember it...maybe I remembered wrong...

749329[/snapback]

No, the sack was on Preston. JP didn't have to fumble from the quick hit although a lot of QBs would have. Especially after just fumbling and on your own 18 with 30 seconds left in the half.

On one hand, you can saw that he cannot do that in a regular season game. On the other hand you can say that he wouldn't have been put in that position in a regular season game. Jauron said flat out they would not have went for it in that situation during the regular season.

No, the sack was on Preston. JP didn't have to fumble from the quick hit although a lot of QBs would have. Especially after just fumbling and on your own 18 with 30 seconds left in the half.

On one hand, you can saw that he cannot do that in a regular season game. On the other hand you can say that he wouldn't have been put in that position in a regular season game. Jauron said flat out they would not have went for it in that situation during the regular season.

749332[/snapback]

There's also something to be said towards JP's point about how training camp (with the "no hitting") doesn't prepare you for punch-outs, etc, and the experience was a wake-up call to pay better attention...

IMO , you can't count on ANY QB maintaining possession of the football when his protection breaks down in less than 2 seconds and the action comes from behind him while he's setting up to throw. It's really more of a freak thing than something you can even work on.

On the other fumble , I agree with most that he should have tucked that thing away or thrown it away by the time he was hit.

On the other fumble , I agree with most that he should have tucked that thing away or thrown it away by the time he was hit.

749360[/snapback]

Last night I was watching Bledsoe getting some pressure and he ended up throwing the ball away, and Theeesman was right in that it was a savvy veteran move.

I hope JP can be like Drew one day.

749297[/snapback]

We will be enjoying Losman to Evans quite a bit this season as far as I can see. They definitely have a chemistry together and Evans has the speed to come to a near stop and then fly past the defender like he did in this game. A thing of beauty.

Last night I was watching Bledsoe getting some pressure and he ended up throwing the ball away, and Theeesman was right in that it was a savvy veteran move.

I hope JP can be like Drew one day.

749366[/snapback]

Yeh, like the the last game Drew played for us where he "wisely" down the ball on a 4th down play which effectively ended the Bills season in 2004?

be careful what you wish for :devil:

Fixing JP Losman is so easy:

He needs get rid of the ball quicker, but not so quick that he throws an interception, instead he needs to hold on to the ball so he checks off his receivers, but not too long so he gets sacked, but if he does he should throw the ball away, but if not just take the sack because it's better than a fumble, but of course he should use his mobilty to avoid the sack, but not too much because he needs to develop pocket poise.

I can't make it any clearer.

PTR