Evans Will Be Great # 1

I think there's a good chance Aiken is ready to take over the #2 role.  He's tough.  He blocks downfield.  He breaks tackles.  Am I crazy?  Wouldn't that be the ideal compliment to Evans' style?

748280[/snapback]

I think Aiken is going to have a big year...especially if the coachs have confidence in him and put him in the game on a more consistent basis....

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

He does four things very well, he runs good routes, he has good hands, he has very good speed and he's very good after the catch. There aren't a ton of #2's who are as good at him at those things, which are four of the top 6-7 things you need out of a WR.

748297[/snapback]

That's all well, but are these not the very same things that Lee Evans does best? We're better served to have someone on the other side to compliment Evans' style and produce in different situations (such as 3rd and 6) than Evans, not someone whose going to be an Evans clone. The decision comes down to Reed and Aiken in my humble opinion, take your pick. I say we start with Reed, giving him one more shot, and see if he and Losman can regain the chemistry they had last year, and if Reed can get his head out of the clouds and stop dropping passes. If Reed can't pull himself together, then I look to Aiken. The last thing I want to see is Price, Roscoe or Davis on the other side, doing the same stuff Evans does.

That's all well, but are these not the very same things that Lee Evans does best? We're better served to have someone on the other side to compliment Evans' style and produce in different situations (such as 3rd and 6) than Evans, not someone whose going to be an Evans clone. The decision comes down to Reed and Aiken in my humble opinion, take your pick. I say we start with Reed, giving him one more shot, and see if he and Losman can regain the chemistry they had last year, and if Reed can get his head out of the clouds and stop dropping passes. If Reed can't pull himself together, then I look to Aiken. The last thing I want to see is Price, Roscoe or Davis on the other side, doing the same stuff Evans does.

748436[/snapback]

Not sure about that although I see your point. If Price is the #2 and is getting open and catching the balls thrown his way, isn't that the sign of a good possession receiver despite the fact he is fast and can get downfield? Remember when Reed was most effective he was the #3 between Moulds and Price. Furthermore, I said it in other places that I am not sure Price is going to just be the #2. I think Fairchild is going to use various combinations of Price, Parrish, Reed, Aiken and perhaps Davis. And we will see some of the Aiken or Reed as the opposite WR across from Evans during all games.

748436[/snapback]

Think Rams.

The two outside WR's run the same kinds of routes and perform the same functions. The slot guys and Te / backs seem to perfom the roles you speak of.

i HATE REED. why is he still on teh team? why did we resign him to a long contract??????

Price has my vote. i like Aiken, i was very happy we drafted him since im a NC fan, but i havent seen any spectacular play from him.

Aiken's probably saved his job with some production in pre-season, to go along with him being a great gunner. Hopefully he'll actually produce ON OFFENSE this year. Although I find it hard to believe he'll get a chance, what with Evans, Price, Reed, and Parrish ahead of him on the depth chart, if not another WR.

Not sure about that although I see your point. If Price is the #2 and is getting open and catching the balls thrown his way, isn't that the sign of a good possession receiver despite the fact he is fast and can get downfield? Remember when Reed was most effective he was the #3 between Moulds and Price. Furthermore, I said it in other places that I am not sure Price is going to just be the #2. I think Fairchild is going to use various combinations of Price, Parrish, Reed, Aiken and perhaps Davis. And we will see some of the Aiken or Reed as the opposite WR across from Evans during all games.

748447[/snapback]

I agree--I think our best option at this point would be to have JR play the #3, maybe #2 in certain run situations because he is our best blocking WR. PP will be #2 and maybe he will be able to benefit from the additional attention that LE will be recieving as a result of being our best WR. JR already proved that he isn't a #2, but he can be a solid slot reciever and I presume he will share that role with Roscoe.

As long as he can get to practice, I like Peerless Price.

Evans, Price and Parrish will be tough to defend. Bring in Aiken as the 4th WR and gets more difficult. As long as the line can give JP 4.1 seconds to get rid of the ball....Gold! Jerry, that GOLD!!!

I agree with The Balanced one, I think a rotational system would work extremly well for this team.

However I remember reading the idea of Royal, McGahee, Evans, Price, and Reed as the 5 set and how Fairchild is playing around with formations with these 5. So I get the feeling we'll be seeing that formation a fair amount.

I agree with The Balanced one, I think a rotational system would work extremly well for this team. 

However I remember reading the idea of Royal, McGahee, Evans, Price, and Reed as the 5 set and how Fairchild is playing around with formations with these 5.  So I get the feeling we'll be seeing that formation a fair amount.

748521[/snapback]

If Reed and Peerless are on the field the majority of time with Evans, the Bills ARE doomed.

Most people's criticisms were that he was in a position to get the ball and wouldn't fight for it, but that by definition meant he was open.

I would say that having to fight for the ball would by definition mean that he was not open; i.e there was somebody right there he had to fight with.

Re: his routes, this is near impossible to do unless we're sitting in front of some film sipping beers and fighting over the clicker. Let me try an example of what I mean. Watch Price run a simple slant in a game(and I don't mean in practice or camp where he knows nobody is going to punish him). All too often when he comes to the break he'll fail to throw a hard jabstep at the corner which will keep a guy in his backpedal for an extra halfsecond so he(the CB) doesn't get his cushion broken. Instead you'll see Price just sort of glide through his break instead of snapping it off hard(you can also see this in his digs and comebacks which he routeinley rounds off); this lazy execution allows a corner to recognize and attack the route the second that Price starts his turn, often enabling him to get to the spot at the same time as Peerless. Then when it's time for Price to finish his route by running all the way through it you'll often see him lay off the throttle because he hates contact and doesn't want to get tied up with a DB. This is not only an inefficient way of advancing the ball but it also exposes a QB to interceptions when his WR won't work hardf on the other end. It may also be a factor in Price's reception total as Losman(who has some history of low INT numbers) may be hesitant to expose the ball by throwing to a guy he doesn't trust.

That last part is just speculation but the longer it continues the more credence it will gain. As for the rest, that's the best I can do in text.

Re: his hands, I've just seen too many instances of him dropping balls he tries to catch with his body or failing to make an important catch because he didn't want to extend for a reception or even at times just having his hands turned the wrong way (i.e. the amateurish move of trying to make a basket catch when he should be playing a ball backhanded) and dropping a ball because of it. And comparing him to Moulds is faint praise as Eric's hands would have looked at home in Seattle for too much of his Bills career.

I won't argue about his speed, although I think he's quicker than he is fast.

And I won't argue about his work in traffic because our opinions are just diametrically and I imagine irrevocably opposed.

Basically I don't like him because he's the kind of guy that DB's looooove to play against and I don't want that for a Bills WR. I'd like him a lot better if he were in a Pats uni. :flirt:

Cya

I am expecting "big" things from little Roscoe.

I really think that he is going to be outstanding returning kicks and as the slot receiver. When he is in the slot with Lee and Price (or whoever), there will be some serious speed on the field. Someone is bound to be open. With any luck, the o-line will give JP time to throw the ball and JP will be able to get the ball to the open receiver.

Evans looks like he is going to prove that he is a solid #1 receiver. I think Roscoe can really be a solid #3 receiver who gets open on those third downs with his speed. As far as the #2 receiver, who is this going to be? Now that this Price debacle is starting to escalate, he might not even make the team. 2 games with no receptions and now he is missing from practice!!!

Please don't tell me that Josh Reed is going to fill this role. I always have and always will think this guy needs to get off the team. So he had one mediocre year last year - he still drops at LEAST one huge ball a game. Something is wrong with this guy and someone else needs to step up to the plate. Who is it going to be? Maybe the Bills do need to go out and get a FA because Losman is going to need all the help possible.

748275[/snapback]

Very good question. I myself have no idea but hope whoever steps up they at least play consistently.

What's the escalation in the Price debacle? I thought he missed practice due to a brain fart.

I am expecting "big" things from little Roscoe.

Me too. If that slippery little sumbitch can stay healthy he could pop some huge plays for this team in the next few years.

He'd look even better with an elite TE out there in a Bills uni.