Since I'm aparently not going to see the game

He looked so good in the first game and now, at least judging from the boxscore, he seemed to vanish this week. I was hoping to hear that Gates and Aiken picked up where they left off last week but it looks as though that didn't happen. Any insight on this from someone who saw/heard the game?

He looked so good in the first game and now, at least judging from the boxscore, he seemed to vanish this week.  I was hoping to hear that Gates and Aiken picked up where they left off last week but it looks as though that didn't happen.  Any insight on this from someone who saw/heard the game?

747271[/snapback]

I believe the Bengals went into the game with the "were not going to let Lionel Gates and Sam Aiken beat us," and were determined to shut them down...

so does that mean because it is preseason there are no updates on our battle for the number 2 RB?  Thanks for the intelligent response.

747300[/snapback]

Sorry, didn't mean to be a jerk...honest, I just fall into it sometimes.

I guess I just meant that it is really pretty hard to draw any real definitive conclusions about what Gates (or any other player) did last week, or last night, if he is not playing with our first team, against the other teams first team.

That is what is kind of frustrating about pre-season games. It seems like coaches (not just Jauron) can't really step away after a pre-season game, and know what they have....personally, I wish they would give guys like Gates more playing time with the starting offensive line. From the sounds of it, McGahee had a pretty nice game last night, but even if he had 8 carries for 9 yards, we already know he is going to be the starter in week 1. Last week, Bill Parcells started Tony Romo at QB, and kept him in for the entire game. Romo had a good game, against the oppenents first, second, third and fourth strings...Romo needed the playing time, Bledsoe did not, and now the Cowboys (and Romo) can gain some confidence that they have an adequate option at their #2 QB spot.

Gates has a bad ankle from the first game. He was listed as questionable for this game but he played anyway and you could see him limping pretty bad. He made a very nice run, where he easily got the first down but the officials spotted the ball horribly, IMO. About a full yard short. So it made it 4th and a yard for a first. They went for it and gave it to him again, even though he was limping badly. He got a little stuffed but broke free and easily had the first down if he wanted but he tried to stretch it outside and got tackled short. It was a very, very bad decision. He has to get the first on that play. He didn't have the speed to get outside because of his foot. AKC blamed it on the coaching, that he shouldn't have been in there on that play because he was limping so bad and he may have been right. Still, Gates made a nice move to put himself in a position for the first but just made a bad decision to not take it.

Gates has a bad ankle from the first game. He was listed as questionable for this game but he played anyway and you could see him limping pretty bad. He made a very nice run, where he easily got the first down but the officials spotted the ball horribly, IMO. About a full yard short. So it made it 4th and a yard for a first. They went for it and gave it to him again, even though he was limping badly. He got a little stuffed but broke free and easily had the first down if he wanted but he tried to stretch it outside and got tackled short. It was a very, very bad decision. He has to get the first on that play. He didn't have the speed to get outside because of his foot. AKC blamed it on the coaching, that he shouldn't have been in there on that play because he was limping so bad and he may have been right. Still, Gates made a nice move to put himself in a position for the first but just made a bad decision to not take it.

747331[/snapback]

That's right, I forgot all about his ankle injury. That helps me understand why he didn't have more of an impact. I'm hoping he continues to step up in the pre-season because he may have a larger role in future and Willis needs someone to push him this year.

Buftex, no worries, sometimes it's hard not to fall in to the trap. Thanks for the more detailed response. I agree that it would be nice to see how players like Gates play with the first line, especially during the first couple of pre-season games. Starting next week I hope we have the starters working on buiding their chemistry.

That sums up what I saw of Gates very well! <_<

747331[/snapback]

He looked so good in the first game and now, at least judging from the boxscore, he seemed to vanish this week.  I was hoping to hear that Gates and Aiken picked up where they left off last week but it looks as though that didn't happen.  Any insight on this from someone who saw/heard the game?

747271[/snapback]

Gates seemed to dance around a little too much. whether it was due to injury or poor decision making I don't know. Not a great outing.

747271[/snapback]

Willis and Thomas got more snaps this week as did Shaud. I think they were just looking to give the guy a break. I was gonna say he has a minor ankle injury but that might be Fred Jackson.

Willis and Thomas got more snaps this week as did Shaud.  I think they were just looking to give the guy a break.  I was gonna say he has a minor ankle injury but that might be Fred Jackson.

747512[/snapback]

No you're right he has an ankle injury. I was reminded of that earlier in this post. I believe he missed a couple of practices last week because of it. Jackson actually had a knee injury, which originally seemed to be serious. Jauron was even suprised he was back so quickly. To come back that fast and play well enough to score shows that this kid wants to make the team IMO.

Sorry, didn't mean to be a jerk...honest, I just fall into it sometimes.

That is what is kind of frustrating about pre-season games.  It seems like coaches (not just Jauron) can't really step away after a pre-season game, and know what they have....personally, I wish they would give guys like Gates more playing time with the starting offensive line.  From the sounds of it, McGahee had a pretty nice game last night, but even if he had 8 carries for 9 yards, we already know he is going to be the starter in week 1.  Last week, Bill Parcells started Tony Romo at QB, and kept him in for the entire game.  Romo had a good game, against the oppenents first, second, third and fourth strings...Romo needed the playing time, Bledsoe did not, and now the Cowboys (and Romo) can gain some confidence that they have an adequate option at their #2 QB spot.

747318[/snapback]

This is actually a valid point. We know guys like Willis and Lee fletcher, schobel, spikes and some others are virtual locks at their positions. I think it would be the right course to let the other backs get time with the 1st unit, whether its atrain gates or shaud, to get an idea of how they perform against other teams 1st string defenses. Id also like to see Ezekial or Watson at mlb with the 1st team defense just to have somewhat of an idea what have at the future for mlb. I understand giving starters reps just to get them ready for the season, but we already know stuff like Losman has a great rapport with each other, what Im more interested in is how is losman connection with other receivers. Evans is great and all but whos gonna be the other threat. I dont know Id just prefer to see some of the depth on this team in positions where the starters are set during preseason games.

This is actually a  valid point. We know guys like Willis and Lee  fletcher, schobel, spikes and some others are virtual locks at their positions.  I think it would be the right course to let the other backs get time with the 1st unit, whether its atrain gates or shaud, to get an idea of how they perform against other teams 1st string defenses.  Id also like to see Ezekial or Watson at mlb with the 1st team defense just to have somewhat of an idea what have at the future for mlb.  I understand giving starters reps just to get them ready for the season, but we already know stuff like Losman has a great rapport with each other, what Im more interested in is how is losman connection with other receivers. Evans is great and all but whos gonna be the other threat. I dont know Id just prefer to see some of the depth on this team in positions where the starters are set during preseason games.

747519[/snapback]

Normally, that's true. I am not so sure it's true here, this year, because there are all new coaches and systems and a lot of new players. The starters need time to gel on the Bills more than most other teams. Yet, they did it with Wendel Hunter yesterday, who started, and played pretty decent. He was even surprised they started him (he was told like 24 hours in advance).