Bills sound alot like the Sabres did last year

Mr. T

I keep reading all of these insightful opinions, both national press and quite a few here, that the Bills are going no where this year. They are expected to be among the teams that are doormats for other teams to walk over.

Most of the reasons given are they let some key players walk, sound familiar Sabre fans? They haven't done enough during the off season, sound familiar Sabre fans? They have too many question marks, sound familar?

Look, I'm not saying the Bills are going to come out and shock the entire league, and many who post here regularily, but I ain't going to complete rule it out either. The Sabres were not expected to do much at all last year, they played the season anyway, and came out as one of the best in the league. This year many are picking them to be one of the main contenders for the Cup.

The Bills may finish 3-13, they may finish 11-5. We won't know until the games are played and the season is over. Until than I ain't going to listen too much to what the so called experts are saying, they don't know anymore than you or I.

"Go Bills!"

I keep reading all of these insightful opinions, both national press and quite a few here, that the Bills are going no where this year.  They are expected to be among the teams that are doormats for other teams to walk over.

Most of the reasons given are they let some key players walk, sound familiar Sabre fans?  They haven't done enough during the off season, sound familiar Sabre fans?  They have too many question marks, sound familar?

Look, I'm not saying the Bills are going to come out and shock the entire league, and many who post here regularily, but I ain't going to complete rule it out either.  The Sabres were not expected to do much at all last year, they played the season anyway, and came out as one of the best in the league.  This year many are picking them to be one of the main contenders for the Cup.

The Bills may finish 3-13, they may finish 11-5.  We won't know until the games are played and the season is over.  Until than I ain't going to listen too much to what the so called experts are saying, they don't know anymore than you or I.

"Go Bills!"

744969[/snapback]

The NHL completely changed the way the game was played, the NFL didn't.

I agree with you that we should stay positive, but its a bad comparison. :blink:

Brutal comparison. The Sabres were helped a great deal by the "new NHL". Yes heart and desire (and a little luck) had a lot to do with their run last season, but mostly it was the fact that the team was tailor-made for the NHL's new rules and style of play.

Until the NFL helps the Bills' offense by outlawing sacks and interceptions, I don't think a Sabres-esque run is in the cards.

Brutal comparison.  The Sabres were helped a great deal by the "new NHL".  Yes heart and desire (and a little luck) had a lot to do with their run last season, but mostly it was the fact that the team was tailor-made for the NHL's new rules and style of play. 

Until the NFL helps the Bills' offense by outlawing sacks and interceptions, I don't think a Sabres-esque run is in the cards.

745332[/snapback]

Ding!

Never let facts get in the way of a good rant :blink:

Ding!

Never let facts get in the way of a good rant :blink:

745357[/snapback]

Ya know, I think it's a bad comparison as well, but this is what pisses me off. The guy just wants to be excited about the season, and all you want to do is piss in the cornflakes. Can't you find anything else to occupy your time since you're so "distraught" over a decade of bad Bills' football?

Ya know, I think it's a bad comparison as well, but this is what pisses me off.  The guy just wants to be excited about the season, and all you want to do is piss in the cornflakes.  Can't you find anything else to occupy your time since you're so "distraught" over a decade of bad Bills' football?

745392[/snapback]

The Sabres

I keep reading all of these insightful opinions, both national press and quite a few here, that the Bills are going no where this year.  They are expected to be among the teams that are doormats for other teams to walk over.

Most of the reasons given are they let some key players walk, sound familiar Sabre fans?  They haven't done enough during the off season, sound familiar Sabre fans?  They have too many question marks, sound familar?

Look, I'm not saying the Bills are going to come out and shock the entire league, and many who post here regularily, but I ain't going to complete rule it out either.  The Sabres were not expected to do much at all last year, they played the season anyway, and came out as one of the best in the league.  This year many are picking them to be one of the main contenders for the Cup.

The Bills may finish 3-13, they may finish 11-5.  We won't know until the games are played and the season is over.  Until than I ain't going to listen too much to what the so called experts are saying, they don't know anymore than you or I.

"Go Bills!"

744969[/snapback]

While I hope you are right (boy, do I hope you're right) there are a few other differences between last year's Sabres and this year's Bills.

The Sabres had one of the best records in the league in the 2nd half of the '03-'04 season, the Bills were not as successful in the latter stages of '05.

With the lockout, the Sabres had an opportunity for many of their prospects (Miller, Roy, Pominville, Gaustad, and Vanek spring to mind immediately) to get significant action and responsibility on a very good minor league team in '04-'05. The combination of playing time and level of competition being stronger than in a normal AHL season would not have been possible in a non-lockout / strike year, and IMHO sped their development. The coach and GM got a chance to spend more time than normal watching their prospects and had a very good idea of what they would bring to the table. The Bills didn't have a chance to put their rooks - 3rd year players in staring roles working together in NFL Europe or the CFL.

The Sabres coaching and front office staffs had been in place since 1997. The Bills have a totally new organization and the players and coaches are currently learning what each other can do and what to expect from each other.

As I said, I hope you are right. I don't think the Bills will be dregs of the league this year, but I am not saving up for playoff tickets either.

The biggest problem I have with the comparison is that the Bills will play 16 games in one season where the Sabres play...what?...350? If the Bills go 0-3 this year, which would make us 0-3 within the division, we're done. No second-half rally will help you. We're done. We don't have 290 more games to make up for that mistake.

Baseball is messed up that way, as well. While I don't follow the game, I do live near LA so I hear about the Dodgers. They were in the freaking cellar going into the break, and now they've won something like 16 of 17 games and they're back in first place.

NFL doesn't grant that leniency. Winning early is so crucial that comparing the NFL to hockey, beyond the physical nature of the game, serves little beyond inflated inspiration.

I like the comparison as far as the outlooks for each team heading into the season are concerned. The Sabres however finished the season before the lockout very strong whereas the Bills limped across the line. Anything can happen though as there are a lot of unknown variables on the Bills. Who knows, if the team can put it all together...

NFL doesn't grant that leniency. Winning early is so crucial that comparing the NFL to hockey, beyond the physical nature of the game, serves little beyond inflated inspiration.

745451[/snapback]

Right - so let's hope we can win ugly in the early going. If the D can keep it close in those three games, I think we can get out of this 1-2 or maybe even 2-1. I think that depends on getting WM the ball, getting at least 2 first downs on 80% of our drives(so that Moorman can do his thing), and keeping penalties to a minimum. I really believe we have the talent to allow us to slide by on the rest. If we are in those games into the forth quarter, JP may be able to pull off some victories. Oh yeah, and we need Lindell to be the man.

If this can happen early on, I think a Sabres like rise is very possible.

You folks who were quick to jump on the "bad comparison" missed the main point.

The point is "not much was expected from the Sabres last year, by the national media and many Sabre fans. Looking back in hindsight and saying the league rule changes are what made the difference is "bull". Everyone knew about the rule changes before the season began, and yet the Sabres were an absolute after thought by most.

As an avid Buffalo sport's fan I had hopes for the Sabres but didn't have any clue they would take off like they did. Anyone who says they did is playing the part of the brilliant professor after the fact.

Sabres "surprised A LOT OF PEOPLE". The Bills could do the same. That's the point!

Now you folks who love to shoot views like this down....Flame Away!

Go Bills!!!!

You folks who were quick to jump on the "bad comparison" missed the main point.

The point is "not much was expected from the Sabres last year, by the national media and many Sabre fans.  Looking back in hindsight and saying the league rule changes are what made the difference is "bull".  Everyone knew about the rule changes before the season began, and yet the Sabres were an absolute after thought by most.

As an avid Buffalo sport's fan I had hopes for the Sabres but didn't have any clue they would take off like they did.  Anyone who says they did is playing the part of the brilliant professor after the fact.

Sabres "surprised A LOT OF PEOPLE".  The Bills could do the same. That's the point!

Now you folks who love to shoot views like this down....Flame Away!

Go Bills!!!!

745914[/snapback]

Like DaveB said earlier. The Sabres had so much going for them that people just missed. The Sabres were young and talented and that talent flourished early. The Bills are young but the level of talent is a huge question mark.

But you are right. The Bills could surprise people. So can the Jets, Lions, Packers, Titans, Texans and Raiders <_<

No.

Last year I knew the Sabres were going to be good before the season started, and I was happy they made no offseason moves (while everyone else complained)

This year I have no such hopes for the Bills.

745602[/snapback]

I agree, the second half of 2003-2004 the Sabres were really good, but they had such a dismal first half that they didn't make the playoffs. People somehow managed to forget all about this during the lockout, and all said that the Sabres would suck....but surprise surprise, they played like the team we saw in the winter of '04.

The Bills, OTOH, sucked last year. While I have some hope that they'll impress us, I still think that 8-8 would be a fantastic season for us given the circumstances.

Ya know, I think it's a bad comparison as well, but this is what pisses me off.  The guy just wants to be excited about the season, and all you want to do is piss in the cornflakes.  Can't you find anything else to occupy your time since you're so "distraught" over a decade of bad Bills' football?

745392[/snapback]

You know, you're absolutely right. I should just fall into lock-step with your and others' sunny outlooks. How DARE I present doubt about a team that has performed like the Bills as of late?

<_<

I agree, the second half of 2003-2004 the Sabres were really good, but they had such a dismal first half that they didn't make the playoffs.  People somehow managed to forget all about this during the lockout, and all said that the Sabres would suck....but surprise surprise, they played like the team we saw in the winter of '04.

The Bills, OTOH, sucked last year.  While I have some hope that they'll impress us, I still think that 8-8 would be a fantastic season for us given the circumstances.

746064[/snapback]

What did you read into what I wrote that suggests a sunny outlook? All I've suggested is the Bills "might" not be as bad this year as many people believe. I said they might be 3-13 or 11-5. Who knows. Am I overly optimistic, no. Am I writing this season off as many already have, no.

My opinion, and that's all it is, is folks who express this naysayer attitude towards their team are simply preparing themselves emotionally if indeed their team does indeed stink. They can always claim, "See I told Ya." It's the easy way out. I instead like the idea that my team is capable of anything regardless of what others may think. It sure makes the approaching season that much more appealing.