Off topic...but football related

My son is entering his first year of high school and there is a general rule that ALL freshman have to play on the freshman team before jumping levels (like Junior Varsity and Varsity) very little exception is made to this rule.....

My son is in voluntary camp this week and all the high school players are out there...including Varsity.

Anyway...my son plays Outside backer and running back.....and there is a kid on Varsity who plays the same position...apparantly they are forming a bond and he has asked to make Brett a sort of "understudy" on Varsity this year (the Senior already has offers from several schools)

Anyway....I am being told by one of the coaches that there is strong consideration for him to leave the freshman team and joing the Varsity team before the season starts.....

It is quite and honor.....but I am not sure it is the right thing to do. He will most likely be an @ssback and benchwarmer this year while he would start both ways on the freshman team with his friends.

Thoughts?

My son is entering his first year of high school and there is a general rule that ALL freshman have to play on the freshman team before jumping levels (like Junior Varsity and Varsity) very little exception is made to this rule.....

My son is in voluntary camp this week and all the high school players are out there...including Varsity.

Anyway...my son plays Outside backer and running back.....and there is a kid on Varsity who plays the same position...apparantly they are forming a bond and he has asked to make Brett a sort of "understudy" on Varsity this year (the Senior already has offers from several schools)

Anyway....I am being told by one of the coaches that there is strong consideration for him to leave the freshman team and joing the Varsity team before the season starts.....

It is quite and honor.....but I am not sure it is the right thing to do.  He will most likely be an @ssback and benchwarmer this year while he would start both ways on the freshman team with his friends.

Thoughts?

744651[/snapback]

Good job, John. Who says slipping a few hundred to a coach and threats of native uprisings at the school doesn't work anymore? :rolleyes:

being around the varsity game and the speed and coaching techniques for the season as opposed to the freshman team is a bigger advantage. Let him get into practice against the faster stronger players as opposed to having him dominate his freshman team and pick up bad habits

It is quite and honor.....but I am not sure it is the right thing to do.  He will most likely be an @ssback and benchwarmer this year while he would start both ways on the freshman team with his friends.

Thoughts?

744651[/snapback]

So its a choice between being an @ssback and going both ways?

Hmmm...

:rolleyes:

Awesome news, Johnathan.

I did play on the freshman team, then got to play some JV after that (our freshman season was only about 6 or 7 games). Then, I got called up to the varsity team, but only to ride the pine as a frosh (started the last 3 years). I know it isn't easy to go right to the varsity, and I applaud your son for being able to do it. I hope he's the one w/ the offers soon.

Thoughts?

744651[/snapback]

While it is a huge honor there is one thing to consider. If he is going to be playing with these guys it means that he will probably be partying with these guys too. You might want to hold him back a year. I don't think I started drinking until Sophmore year in HS.

Thoughts?

744651[/snapback]

I see it as a win/win thing- there are positives for both scenerios

While it is a huge honor there is one thing to consider. If he is going to be playing with these guys it means that he will probably be partying with these guys too. You might want to hold him back a year. I don't think I started drinking until Sophmore year in HS.

744749[/snapback]

Are you serious? I hope not. If the kid isn't grown enough to make is own decision on that than he shouldn't be playing with the big boys. I started as a freshman on Varsity to and didnt have to drink even though evryone else did. As for your kid playing Varsity thats great. Just make sure he is ready for it. There were guys who got brought up and soon as they were hit in the mouth by someone bigger and stronger they lost their will. I got my @ss beat for a year and it made me a better player. He will be ahead of the leadership curve if he can stay.

Another thing you have to take in is if he gets up there and the coaches dont think he is ready and gets sent back. That could be a shot to the ego.

But I wish him all the best. The hardest part is having the guys break his balls. Gotta have some thick skin to be a youngster on Varsity.

To make the Varsity team will do 2 things for your son. It'll give him confidence beyond measure and he'll have less wear and tear this year. Plus reap the benifits of being in the "real" system from day 1. There will also be no pressure to "carry the team" as it may have been in Freshmen and JV. I got to play on the Varsity team for the last 2 games of my Freshmen year, last 5 of my Sophomore,and it helped me be ready for my Junior year as a starter. I already knew everything expected of me in the coverages, blitz packages, and on offense. If the guy your son is behind this year is a Senior, next year after this year of learning may be his official arrival on the scene ya know. Congrats to you and your son!!! :rolleyes:

Are you serious? I hope not. If the kid isn't grown enough to make is own decision on that than he shouldn't be playing with the big boys. I started as a freshman on Varsity to and didnt have to drink even though evryone else did. As for your kid playing Varsity thats great. Just make sure he is ready for it. There were guys who got brought up and soon as they were hit in the mouth by someone bigger and stronger they lost their will. I got my @ss beat for a year and it made me a better player. He will be ahead of the leadership curve if he can stay.

Another thing you have to take in is if he gets up there and the coaches dont think he is ready and gets sent back. That could be a shot to the ego.

But I wish him all the best. The hardest part is having the guys break his balls. Gotta have some thick skin to be a youngster on Varsity.

744756[/snapback]

He has a pretty good head on his shoulders although I am quite sure that it would not be his first drink of alchohol (parents need to be realistic about this stuff...you dont condone it but you have to be approachable by your kids) I am actually taking a liking the Varsity player who is taking Brett under his wing a bit...and the varsity player is also a good friend to Brett's speed coach so it is one of those big brother/little brother type of relationships from I can see.

He is very advanced physically for 14...but there is a age/maturity level on the field that I do worry about.....Brett goes out there to knock the crap out of his opponents...but he doesn't go out to injure to get off the field...and when you are a senior that stuff happens. As far as just the hitting on the field I think he would hold his own even with Varsity players (although the thought of a 300 pound offensive linemen burying him does concern me a bit) right now he stands at 5'10" and 160 pounds.

The biggest thing I worry about at this point of his life is getting one of the zillion young in heat females pregnant that are constantly around him....not having a lot of experience in this area I try to approach him in a "you can talk to me" way. Hanging with older players means hanging with more mature females as well.

He has a pretty good head on his shoulders although I am quite sure that it would not be his first drink of alchohol (parents need to be realistic about this stuff...you dont condone it but you have to be approachable by your kids)  I am actually taking a liking the Varsity player who is taking Brett under his wing a bit...and the varsity player is also a good friend to Brett's speed coach so it is one of those big brother/little brother type of relationships from I can see.

He is very advanced physically for 14...but there is a age/maturity level on the field that I do worry about.....Brett goes out there to knock the crap out of his opponents...but he doesn't go out to injure to get off the field...and when you are a senior that stuff happens.  As far as just the hitting on the field I think he would hold his own even with Varsity players (although the thought of a 300 pound offensive linemen burying him does concern me a bit) right now he stands at 5'10" and 160 pounds.

The biggest thing I worry about at this point of his life is getting one of the zillion young in heat females pregnant that are constantly around him....not having a lot of experience in this area I try to approach him in a "you can talk to me" way.  Hanging with older players means hanging with more mature females as well.

744780[/snapback]

No doubt on the way you're handling your son. Highschool girls are, well, highschool girls. You remember where your mind was at back then don't you? Just make sure you give him everything he needs mentally(answering questions and being approachable) and materially(Trojans) if you think he's "active" :rolleyes:

No doubt on the way you're handling your son. Highschool girls are, well, highschool girls. You remember where your mind was at back then don't you? Just make sure you give him everything he needs mentally(answering questions and being approachable) and materially(Trojans) if you think he's "active" :rolleyes:

744787[/snapback]

Nice Dr. Ruth.

He has a pretty good head on his shoulders although I am quite sure that it would not be his first drink of alchohol (parents need to be realistic about this stuff...you dont condone it but you have to be approachable by your kids)  I am actually taking a liking the Varsity player who is taking Brett under his wing a bit...and the varsity player is also a good friend to Brett's speed coach so it is one of those big brother/little brother type of relationships from I can see.

He is very advanced physically for 14...but there is a age/maturity level on the field that I do worry about.....Brett goes out there to knock the crap out of his opponents...but he doesn't go out to injure to get off the field...and when you are a senior that stuff happens.  As far as just the hitting on the field I think he would hold his own even with Varsity players (although the thought of a 300 pound offensive linemen burying him does concern me a bit) right now he stands at 5'10" and 160 pounds.

The biggest thing I worry about at this point of his life is getting one of the zillion young in heat females pregnant that are constantly around him....not having a lot of experience in this area I try to approach him in a "you can talk to me" way.  Hanging with older players means hanging with more mature females as well.

744780[/snapback]

What state do you guys live in? I am just interested because the size chart for the kids when I played are alot different.

Well....that is one way to parent if I want him doing things behind my back......

You cannot keep tabs on teenagers 24/7

744807[/snapback]

Don't assume that your son will do things behind your back if you are firm.

Teenagers by definition are slappy as it comes, and most, really - not that they won't mouth off - long for non-waffly guidance.

You've spoken of your son for some time here, and I for one think he's a good kid.

But you now express some concerns as he enters a new age and environment. So time to redouble your watchfulness.

Like I said - Dad's job...there are tons of negative influences today inflicted upon kids that an old fossil like me never faced, or you too with fewer years under your belt.

I apologize for my directness, but I give frank opinion because I consider you a good man and hopefully, friend.

stuck.

Teenagers by definition are slappy as it comes, and most, really - not that they won't mouth off - long for non-waffly guidance.

You've spoken of your son for some time here, and I for one think he's a good kid.

But you now express some concerns as he enters a new age and environment. So time to redouble your watchfulness.

Like I said - Dad's job...there are tons of negative influences today inflicted upon kids  that an old fossil like me never faced, or you too with fewer years under your belt.

I apologize for my directness, but I give frank opinion because I consider you a good  man and hopefully, friend.

stuck.

744837[/snapback]

You're such a meanie.

Like I said - Dad's job...there are tons of negative influences today inflicted upon kids  that an old fossil like me never faced, or you too with fewer years under your belt.

I apologize for my directness, but I give frank opinion because I consider you a good  man and hopefully, friend.

stuck.

744837[/snapback]

Its cool cincy...I take them in a positive way....

Difference in practices and the level of coaching between the varsity and JV is major.

I played in fall practice my FR with the JV unit and then got put on the varsity squad, I might not have played as much as I would have with the JVs but I got some great coaching that led to me being recruited by such schools as NC State, UNC, and Wake Forest.

Granted they were all offering me academic scholarships for my grades, but I like to pretend it was for my 5.0 forty and well built 170 pound frame.

If ends up being real good send him to NC State, we need linebackers.

Thanks for the info King.

To be honest it is still hard to figure where he will end up as a final position as he is still growing....

4.9 40 right now...he is unhappy with it because he sees all the scout.com profiles with 4.4 and 4.5 40 times. The good news for him is that he isn't really all that muscular in the legs yet.....his speed coach wants to see him with 10-15 pounds of muscule on his legs next year and then see just how far his 40 time goes.

It is hard to guage where he will end up at in the height and weight department.....he is 5'10" and 160 right now....but he is starting to turn into a real knuckledragger (runs in the family) even though his bodyfat is low....he has taken to the weight training and nutrition part of the game very well.....at this point I cannot imagine him being over 6' and over 200 pounds as a senior.

PS. He is a huge USC nut.....that is his number one choice (I myself would be happy with ANY college...but would look forward to seeing him on the weekends)