JP earning the respect of his teammates

kota

I have read a few things these past few days that lead me to believe that the offense is starting to rally around JP Losman. First the whole story about JP playing chess with his center. It's good to see that JP is bonding with his teammates off the football field.

Also, yesterday it was noted that after practice JP was working on his throws with the receivers. Peerless, Lee Evans, Josh Reed, and even Willis stayed behind to help him out. JP works on his throws alot after practice but it is usually with the 4th and 5th stringers. This is the first time i have heard these guys who will probabaly all be on the starting offense work out with him. Not sure how it went down either JP asked for their help or they offered. Either way it is showing that the offense is rallying behind him. This shows that with him being named the frontrunner that he has finally won the respect of his teammates. This also might be a sign of JP's leadership.

Bottom line is that JP needs his offense and even the defense to believe he can get the job done in order to win.

It's definetly a maturity thing. There's a big difference between earning a spot and being anointed. Being anointed tends to breed animosity between the chosen one and the guys who had to bleed it out. It seems that JP is taking it upon himself to bond with his teammates and they're starting to respond. Kelly used to take his line out to dinner all the time, so it's good to see Losman taking the bull by the horns.

I think that this is a huge step in him maturing and eventually becoming the leader of this franchise.....I think that he is very happy with the WNY area and he knows that NOW is the time for him to step up and be the player that we all hoped he would become!!

I watched the Colts/Rams preseason game last week, and they were detailing how Peyton Manning has a routine to show up to the field 2-3 hours before gametime and had to throw something like 37 consecutive passes (without hitting the ground) before he was content.

It goes without saying that Harrison, Stokley, and others were by his side for every one of these sessions.

It would be nice to see the "leaders" of our team continue to step it up and put in the extra time and effort to ensure that the machine is well oiled. Hearing that the starters stayed out with JP is great to hear, and is hopefully the beginning of a good thing.

I watched the Colts/Rams preseason game last week, and they were detailing how Peyton Manning has a routine to show up to the field 2-3 hours before gametime and had to throw something like 37 consecutive passes (without hitting the ground) before he was content.

It goes without saying that Harrison, Stokley, and others were by his side for every one of these sessions.

It would be nice to see the "leaders" of our team continue to step it up and put in the extra time and effort to ensure that the machine is well oiled.  Hearing that the starters stayed out with JP is great to hear, and is hopefully the beginning of a good thing.

744490[/snapback]

Harrison and Manning do that before Every game.

I have read a few things these past few days that lead me to believe that the offense is starting to rally around JP Losman.  First the whole story about JP playing chess with his center.  It's good to see that JP is bonding with his teammates off the football field. 

744444[/snapback]

But...But...But...the Sirius radio guy told me that Holcomb came in with McGahee....and Losman came alone.....

Bottom line is that JP needs his offense and even the defense to believe he can get the job done in order to win.

744444[/snapback]

I honestly think he needs his defense to keep his team in the running....something that the last years defense failed to do and to hide their weakness put the blame on JP and went to the coach to get KH in the starting line up.

I hope DJ will take no such nonsense from Fletcher/Vincent/TKO and any other veteran player on the team....

Although we rightfully focus on the QB and what he has to do, we tend to lose sight of the fact that it is a team game. Now that JP has risen to the top of the heap, the other key players are ready to get on board, hence the recent after practice workouts. These players appear ready to join their new leader and get better as a team. IMHO

While this is all good.....I think that some things are getting missed here (and seem to continue to get missed EVERY year)

Yes...Losman needs to improve...yes he needs to make better decisions...yes he needs to be more accurate....

BUT THE TEAM NEEDS TO HELP HIM OUT AS WELL

- Josh Reed....stop dropping balls that HIT YOU IN THE HANDS

- Peerless Price....come back to the damn ball when your QB is scrambling for his life

- Running Backs...dont give up on blitz pickup just because you cut a defender....keep your damn feet and dont give up the whistle sounds

- Matt Morgan....if he does one more of those ole blocks that gives a DE a straight shot at JPL then he should be clubbed by the entire team

Help your young QB

JP needs to PROVE to his team he can get it done.

744477[/snapback]

Yes JP needs to prove that he can play but he has to have the backing of his teammates. It is a mind game for a young QB. He didn't ask for the QB job last year they handed it to him. Of course he is going to take on the challenge. No football player wants to sit the bench but yet several of the veterans didn't like it and pretty much ruined JP's year. Eric Moulds the #1 receiver obviously didn't like the choice and he didn't get along with JP. Eric didn't like the coaches decision and instead of just making the best of the situation and working extra hard with JP he decided to be a dork about it. Hate the Coach's decision all you want but don't hate the guy picked. It ruins team chemistry. I can understand why Eric Moulds didn't like the decision he is getting old and wants to win but common Kelly Holcomb isn't the answer. Everyone has to see the talent that JP has. Arm Strength, Mobility, works hard, etc... The mental side of the game ruins most NFL players and if you don't give a young guy some support he will fail.

Palmer had all kinds of support from the players in Cinncinati. Rivers has support of his team. Palmer has proven what kind of QB he can be. Rivers could have a big year this year.

Dick Jauron played it right with the QB competition. You don't side with any of the players split the time show the team you mean business. Don't support one guy over the other and let the players decide. JP has outplayed the other two. He has made his mistakes all of which can be corrected. Short hopping passes is a mechanics thing that will only get corrected with repetition. Eventually it will become 2nd nature and he will just fire the ball and not think about it. JP seems to always through well on the run. By that time all thought it out of it because your running for your life.

It only takes time.

Guest dog14787
I have read a few things these past few days that lead me to believe that the offense is starting to rally around JP Losman.  First the whole story about JP playing chess with his center.  It's good to see that JP is bonding with his teammates off the football field. 

Also, yesterday it was noted that after practice JP was working on his throws with the receivers.  Peerless, Lee Evans, Josh Reed, and even Willis stayed behind to help him out.  JP works on his throws alot after practice but it is usually with the 4th and 5th stringers.  This is the first time i have heard these guys who will probabaly all be on the starting offense work out with him.  Not sure how it went down either JP asked for their help or they offered.  Either way it is showing that the offense is rallying behind him.  This shows that with him being named the frontrunner that he has finally won the respect of his teammates.  This also might be a sign of JP's leadership. 

744444[/snapback]

:w00t: It's great to hear, J.P. earning the respect and friendship of his fellow teamates. The talent level is high and if they rally together theres nothing our team can't do.

Including winning the big one!!!!! :rolleyes:

Also, yesterday it was noted that after practice JP was working on his throws with the receivers.  Peerless, Lee Evans, Josh Reed, and even Willis stayed behind to help him out.  JP works on his throws alot after practice but it is usually with the 4th and 5th stringers.  This is the first time i have heard these guys who will probabaly all be on the starting offense work out with him.  Not sure how it went down either JP asked for their help or they offered.  Either way it is showing that the offense is rallying behind him.  This shows that with him being named the frontrunner that he has finally won the respect of his teammates.  This also might be a sign of JP's leadership. 

744444[/snapback]

Are you contradicting Rick Cimini of NFL.com who says that Holcomb has more respect in the Bills locker room because he has (drum roll....) "INTANGIBLES????"

PTR

Are you contradicting Rick Cimini of NFL.com who says that Holcomb has more respect in the Bills locker room because he has (drum roll....) "INTANGIBLES????"

PTR

744821[/snapback]

Rick cimini is out of touch with what is going on. That article looks as if it was written last April.

While this is all good.....I think that some things are getting missed here (and seem to continue to get missed EVERY year)

Yes...Losman needs to improve...yes he needs to make better decisions...yes he needs to be more accurate....

BUT THE TEAM NEEDS TO HELP HIM OUT AS WELL

- Josh Reed....stop dropping balls that HIT YOU IN THE HANDS

- Peerless Price....come back to the damn ball when your QB is scrambling for his life

- Running Backs...dont give up on blitz pickup just because you cut a defender....keep your damn feet and dont give up the whistle sounds

- Matt Morgan....if he does one more of those ole blocks that gives a DE a straight shot at JPL then he should be clubbed by the entire team

Help your young QB

744715[/snapback]

I agree completely, but just to let you know, Matt Morgan has some medical issues. He will likely miss Friday's game and it would not surprise me if he's done.

Yeah.  I read yesterday that he was 14-27 or something like that and then read he had about 7 or 8 drops and I thought "phew!"  Then it struck me that THAT many drops by the receivers is BAD. :D

745153[/snapback]

When you are throwing to George Wilson, Brad Ceislack and Al Ricard you should expect some drops. :)

OCD is a hell of a thing.