The best OL summary

That is, of course, if the Bills' revamped line can create some running room for him.

The Bills think their young right tackle, Jason Peters, a tight end in college, has the potential to be really good, perhaps even a Pro Bowler. He started the last nine games at that spot last year, when Mike Williams went down with an injury. (Funny how this game works: The Bills missed badly in picking Williams fourth overall, and the guy who's replacing him was undrafted.) Peters has everything, including quickness and good feet at 6-foot-4 and 328 pounds.

Honestly, Chris Villarrial is a JAG (Just A Guy). Free-agent pickup Melvin Fowler brings more athleticism to the center spot than Trey Teague did last year. But Fowler goes a shade under 300, so the Bills are going to have to give him help against the nose tackles they'll face in the AFC East (the Dolphins, Jets and Patriots all play a 3-4). Panthers castoff Tutan Reyes (28 starts the last two years in Carolina) is an upgrade over Bennie Anderson in terms of mobility at left guard. And Mike Gandy is OK at left tackle.

Behind the starters, the Bills have former first-round pick Aaron Gibson trying to come back after a year out of football. With an eye toward the future, the Bills probably should hold on to and develop '06 draft choices Brad Butler, Terrance Pennington and Aaron Merz as reserves.

Bottom line, the Bills' O-line is about a C, maybe a C-plus or B-minus on a good day. They're young. Hey, they are what they are, and they're all the Bills have at this point until general manager Marv Levy can infuse more talent. The group has to run block better than it did against Carolina's starters, when McGahee managed 5 yards on 3 attempts. And without a real passing game for opponents to honor, Buffalo is likely to see a lot of loaded fronts.

How could you argue that appraisal?

743572[/snapback]

It sounds pretty reasonable; who at ESPN wrote that? It also supports the notion that the Bills have upgraded, since I think we'd all agree the line graded out at a C- or D last season.

If we can get C+/B- performance out of this line over the course of the season, with a mobile QB and talented RB, things aren't all bad, my friends.

It sounds pretty reasonable; who at ESPN wrote that? 

743576[/snapback]

taken from the following - linked on TBD yesterday

Monday, August 14, 2006

If McGahee falters, so will Bills

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

By Michael Smith

ESPN.com

It sounds pretty reasonable; who at ESPN wrote that?  It also supports the notion that the Bills have upgraded, since I think we'd all agree the line graded out at a C- or D last season.

If we can get C+/B- performance out of this line over the course of the season, with a mobile QB and talented RB, things aren't all bad, my friends.

743576[/snapback]

It certainly looks like an upgrade but on that score, all we have is some hope. That and the fact that being worse than we were with Bennie Anderson, Mike Williams and Teague is just unimaginable. We have to be at least a little better.

Smith is a very knowledgeable NFL beat writer and I do think he did a good job w/ his summary of the Bills.

743596[/snapback]

I 2nd that. Along with Tim Calishaw, he is my favorite guy on Around the Horn. He really knows his stuff.

I 2nd that. Along with Tim Calishaw, he is my favorite guy on Around the Horn. He really knows his stuff.

743603[/snapback]

I can't watch that show. It's annoying to me, except for Riali's smarta** remarks @ times. It must really have been unbearable back before Riali when Max Kellerman, host of the Fox Sports PTI wannabe show "I, Max", was the show's host.

743572[/snapback]

I'll argue. Reyes turns 29 this season and Villarrial's an old man. Gandy, Peters, and Fowler are young. But I wouldn't classify that as young.

Also, what do you mean how can anyone argue that. His grade is subjective. Some people may think it's a B+ or A- while others may think it's a C- or D.

It's easy to argue. This group hasn't done a thing yet except allow the D to get dominated by an offense without many superstar skill posiiton players on the field.

I can't watch that show.  It's annoying to me, except for Riali's smarta** remarks @ times.  It must really have been unbearable back before Riali when Max Kellerman, host of the Fox Sports PTI wannabe show "I, Max", was the show's host.

743613[/snapback]

I could never figure out how Max Kellerman got his own show. His was downright awful! (Actually, he still sucks.)

I'll argue.  Reyes turns 29 this season and Villarrial's an old man.  Gandy, Peters, and Fowler are young.  But I wouldn't classify that as young.

Also, what do you mean how can anyone argue that.  His grade is subjective.  Some people may think it's a B+ or A- while others may think it's a C- or D. 

It's easy to argue.  This group hasn't done a thing yet except allow the D to get dominated by an offense without many superstar skill posiiton players on the field.

743617[/snapback]

Well, either they are young or they aren't. 29 for an O-lineman is not old. Villarial will likely be replaced by a very young Preston shortly. I think it's fair to call the line "young."

Also, it's not as if the author predicted great things out of the line; he gave them a C grade and said they could be as good as a B-. I really don't understand your argument; can you do a better job of explaining?

I'll argue.  Reyes turns 29 this season and Villarrial's an old man.  Gandy, Peters, and Fowler are young.  But I wouldn't classify that as young.

Also, what do you mean how can anyone argue that.  His grade is subjective.  Some people may think it's a B+ or A- while others may think it's a C- or D. 

It's easy to argue.  This group hasn't done a thing yet except allow the D to get dominated by an offense without many superstar skill posiiton players on the field.

743617[/snapback]

Feel better now?

And without a real passing game for opponents to honor, Buffalo is likely to see a lot of loaded fronts.

I agree that this is a pretty decent review but I hope we prove this one line to be false. I believe that our speedy receivers and JP's mobility and strong arm should be able to reduce the number of loaded fronts that we see.

It was an excellent appraisal especially since the author felt he didn't need to be condescending of the Bills like all the other jack-offs.

743759[/snapback]

Why. Just because everyone else says the Bills suck and you don't like it does not make it right. The Bills are a team in transition and to expect more than 3 to 4 wins with the paucity of talent they have would be a stretch.

I 6hink so far a C is rather generous. I have been saying you build a team from the trenches. I hope I don't end up having tosay another I told you so when Losman goes down with an injury as a result of poor protection. Further, I think the run game is going to sink or swim on the O-line more than McGahee. That wise ass o-line coach who was badmouthing Losman had better look at his own area of responsibility pretty darn soon.

I 6hink so far a C is rather generous. 

744013[/snapback]

So do I, but the possibility of the line developing into a "C" probably does exist.

Take it as a gift, because imo, this line has been below that level for at least a decade (with the exception being of a portion of 04).