Check out THIS report!

http://boards.buffalobills.com/forums/thread/1228270.aspx

Hello Bills fans one and all,

As promised, I’m back today to talk a little about the technique I saw at camp, as well as a few things I can compare between the new regime and the old one in terms of packages. And as previously stated, if you don’t want to read a long-winded article, I can direct you to the 8,000 or so “Who should start and why” articles already on the board.

Also, I want to put a shout out for the Ball Burglars, whose address is located in my sig. It’s a great program that not only allows you to enjoy the defense that much more as well as give money to help out those who really need it. If you have any questions, and if you find them, maybe you can join The Ball Burglars (cue A-Team music).

With that said, let’s talk shop!

“The Crazy 8s” and how I think they’ll help out this year:

In my notes, whenever I saw a personnel grouping, I’d try to assign them a nickname. For this group, I had originally called them the first team (I know, I know, quite original). However, the more I saw them, the more I liked what they had to offer in this base set – and thus the Crazy 8s were born. Who are these fine gentlemen you ask? Why of course our receiving corp of (from left to right) Evans, Royal, Reed and Price. Along with Willis, our starting QB (whomever that will be) and our line, this group is quite good. As you can see from the pictures, primarily this is a single-back, 3 wide look with a 1 X 2 alignment with the receivers (one left, two on the right) and Royal typically alongside Gandy as more of a wing/h-back than a TE.

I’m a big fan of this formation because of three things I saw at camp. First, whenever this grouping was in, there were at least 6 screens performed. Two to Willis, Two to Price and Two to Evans. Also, during the Monday practice, an end-around was done with Reed that gained about 13-15+ yards. People in the crowd commented, “that’s probably the only trick play we’ll see all year” to which I tried to explain it’s not a “trick” play in the sense they mean…but it was a lost cause. Besides, I have a few thoughts on Mularkey I’ll drop in toward the end.

The second reason I like this formation is the versatility. Through the usage of shifts, this formation became at various points during camp: a 5-wide receiver (with Willis at the 5th) with Willis motioning back into the backfield for a single-back, 4-wide look; an I-right formation with Royal playing FB/H-Back and Reed (or Price!) coming in for a chip block on the wing; and a favorite of mine, pulling Reed out and replacing him with Everett or Neufeld, who played the blocking TE role as Royal(!) was flexed out wide.

I also think Fairchild is slowly finding out what the players strengths and weaknesses and tailoring the playbook to fit that. And that’s my final reason for liking this grouping, because it seems that Fairchild has made routes and runs to fit the team that’s in at that time. For example, most of the reads seemed to revolve around Reed doing quick outs and slants from the slot, with Peerless or Evans doing a double route (which typically ended with a go or comeback route) and Royal trying to slide underneath. Willis typically was always open for a safety valve out of the backfield. No QB had longer than a 5 step drop, and most were typically three step, so the emphasis on knowing who you want to hit as a QB and where you have to be as a receiver are even more paramount.

Looking at the make-up of the 8s I like the individual strengths and group dynamic they bring. You have our number one Evans, who can do just about everything, but speed (as the old adage says) kills. Reed can take care of the clean-up catches across the middle with Royal, who can also do some special things in the seams, and you have Peerless’ speed and veteran savvy to round it out. Willis and Gates in my opinion in this set can do some major damage receiving and running-wise any of the backs should enjoy some great blocking by all three wideouts and of course Royal.

“The Living Daylights” and the “Mularkey Factor”:

Another item that’s been discussed by Chris Brown and others has been the permission Fairchild has given to the backs to bounce things outside when they have to, without fear of derision or being called out after a game for instance…

(When I was thinking about this part of the article, I want to make sure I put a disclaimer on it, as I do not want to come across as arrogant or thinking I know more than a 20+ year coach in the NFL. However, Mularkey’s comments to Willis were not just an insult to Willis (which led to the bad blood which in a way persists to this day) but also conflicted with the teachings of Eric Studesville and Jim McNally. That being said, let’s talk running!)

Typically last year, Coach Mularkey would state that there were “holes” for Willis to run through, but he just didn’t hit them hard enough. While that may have been sometimes true, it was for the most part not true and that because of the idea of “false daylight” in the zone blocking run game. This spring, I had the privilege of working with the University of Pittsburgh’s coaching staff. While there, I had a few questions for the OC Matt Cavanaugh and RB Coach David Walker, who were more than happy to not only explain Pitt’s system, but to help me understand little things with the Bills offense I’d always wondered about.

With regards to the run game, you have to understand a few things about the zone run system: one, it’s not so much a person as it is an area; two, there are going to be a few double teams at the opening of any run, but one player will then shed and go to the next level based on the positioning of the LBs and DBs; and from there, the running back has “keys” (such as the butt of the Tight end on a stretch, or the tackle/guard on an inside play) to determine how they cut and which hole they hit. At times you will have apparent holes open inside, but these are what they call “False Daylight”. They are a result of the “stretch” that occurs during the zone block. If you hit one of these holes, typically there is no second level block for you, as the interior lineman is keyed on the linebacker opposite you. To visualize it, you’re running toward the weakside linebacker when the blocking is toward the middle or strongside backer. Should you hit this hole you’ll get perhaps 2-4 yards whereas had you stuck with the play you may get 5-7 “natural” yards (that is to say, yards acquired just by running the play and no “shake and bake” action), unless you happen to be quite small and quick (just like Pitt’s current starter, who is about 5’7” and 188 or so lbs) and can run right past the backer – Sound like anyone we used a lot on inside runs on third downs? Now, this isn’t a knock on Shaud or Willis; I think a coach should know, especially a head coach why some plays worked well and others do not based on personnel. For another example, think back to year one of the Mularkey era (which I discussed with BLM): who remembers the Shotgun sweep he employed with Wills? That typically got us yards because A) Willis was allowed to turn the corner with M. Williams plowing the way for him and B) our TE was able to assist in sealing off the second level.

Fast forward to Fairchild – he’s allowing the outside runs (in practice, and I am a strong believer in you practice how you play) while allowing one of the bread and butter plays of the Martz/Gibbs/Fairchild/Saunders Offense to thrive: the “Gut” Series. 40 and 50 Gut are the inside zone runs employed by the Redskin-oriented offenses (including ours now I guess) which gives a back a choice in where to hit the hole. It will be inside; however, it can be (in the case of the 40 if memory serves) the 1 or 3 hole and with the 50 Gut the 2 or 4. Perhaps the success of the Guts I saw performed in practice are because the change to more athletic interior linemen, instead of the more man-blocking oriented guys like Anderson and in a way Teague, as even as a tackle in the Denver zone offense he almost always blocked down with a TE (when available) and as center for the Bills would block down with a guard for help, though typically he was blown up before the help could get there.

“Shifting into the future”

As I watch the Jets – Bucs preseason game I see something I think is going to be a big part of our offense: shifts and checks. Numerous times during the course of practices I would see our offense start out one way and end up in a completely different formation. I love this because it forces a defense to adjust to something that they may not prepare for. Especially when the “Wild Bunch” set as I call them are on the field. This group includes Price, Evans, Parrish, Reed and Willis. Typically Single-back 4-wide, this can go several places, most excitingly for me with Willis as the slot receiver and Reed as the HB (which was his natural position if memory serves prior to switching to wideout permanently at LSU). Also, another neat set was the Pro Set usage of Willis, Goldsberry and the Crazy 8s Wideouts. Either of these packages could transition from a heavy run set to a 5 wideout juggernaut.

Defensive Notes:

Quick little note before I close this bad boy – I wanted to talk about one of the reasons I feel that the Bills have switched TKO and Crowell this year. Two of the big watchwords of the Tampa 2 defense is “Spill to Will” and “Mike down the pipe”. A typical Tampa 2 play defensively, similar to a zone run block will crash down and try and spill the action to the Will linebacker (weakside) so that he can chase the ballcarrier down for the tackle. For someone who has just had an Achilles’ tear I think that would be expecting too much. However, for someone who displayed that sort of sideline to sideline range last year like Crowell I think it’s perfect. In addition, the Mike down the Pipe is something you should watch for on Saturday, especially when the backups are in. I think that is when you will see Watson show up, at least moreso than in the practice periods. I know some may think Fletcher isn’t good enough for such moves, but he did it in the old defense and he can do it again. Only this time, he’ll have less zero blitzes to have to worry about accounting for.

Alrighty, I think I have “talked” your ears off enough for one evening. God Bless and check you later!

Here are the pics of formations and whatnot – enjoy!

http://community.webshots.com/user/BillsFann

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

No problemo.  But don't thank me, thank BillFann.

I found it interesting that Goldsberry was mentioned and not those other 2. :devil:

741180[/snapback]

I saw that part, too, but I liked the Crazy 8's part better. :D

Maybe the other 2 are too sloooow to cut it?

Sorry, it seems you have to be a member of the BuffaloBills.com messageboard to read this.  I'll ask BillFann if he'll post it here, or if he'll allow me to do it, in which case it will be in the first post.

741182[/snapback]

I didn't join... just hit "Stop" as soon as it loads, and you can still read it.

If you miss it & it goes to the sign-up page, hit "Back" and then "Stop" right away.

What I like hearing is that it sounds like they'll be using a K-gun-type formation as their base from which they can run multiple formations, Royal will be lined-up next to Gandy to provide blocking help, and Willis being available for an outlet pass on most plays. It also showed what a moron Mularkey was.

What I like hearing is that it sounds like they'll be using a K-gun-type formation as their base from which they can run multiple formations, Royal will be lined-up next to Gandy to provide blocking help, and Willis being available for an outlet pass on most plays.  It also showed what a moron Mularkey was.

741222[/snapback]

Wonder how much we'll see of it tomorrow, pre-season & all... maybe nothing.

I absolutely loved the breakdown of the run game and why it didnt work, and has me amped to see fairchilds new look offense. Of course its still football and you still need to block to open holes, but his breakdown explains a lot of the problems with the run game last season. If nothing else whether we're good or bad Im excited to see how fairchilds offense develops.

That post is what being a Bills' fan is all about. It's a shame we don't get more of that over here.

Oops, I forgot. We suck and have no talent, and the owner and GM are senile bastards. And the coach is a loser retread. Woo hoo, is it gametime yet?