Check out THIS report!

The guy had been a 4 year starter on a very good OLine. It wasn't a stretch to think he was going to help the Bills shaky LG position. It didn't take very long to realize that he wasn't the same player after his new contract that he was before.

And the point still stands that Ricard is the opposite of a 1trick pony. He's a multi-dimensional player who in additon to being a solid blocker, can also catch it, carry it and has caught my eye on special teams more than once.

741430[/snapback]

If you had actually watched the Ravens games, you would know that Bennie's new contract with the Bills was not a turning point in his level of play. What you saw from Bennie last year came as no surprise to any Ravens fan.

As for Ricard, if he showed any versatility to his O game the past year or so, he would probably still be a Raven. He was still a good ST player, I'll give him that. Maybe he's more healthy now, I don't know. But I do know I'd rather see a 3rd WR or 2nd TE than Ricard on the field.

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

Again, I appreciate the posters dedication and effort. But this report is just so chock-full of holes, inconsistencies and blind homerism that it's hard to put very much stock in it. I'm a much bigger fan of most of the sound, accurate reports we get from our regulars here than the kind of self-aggrandizing, inconsistent stuff that we occasionaly see coming from bb.com and billszone.

And what BillsFann/TKOSpiked saw differs from what YOU saw in training camp how? :doh:

Simon,

I'm not big on arguing a point, but I am big on discussing football. With that said:

1. Homer Alert - I am a Bills fan. I spent 40 minutes writing that for a Bills fan message board. I'm a homer, guilty as charged. But I am also a realist. I'm not saying that we have the second coming of the K gun on offense.

In practice, one of the plays that made me say "quite good" was a pass play in which Gandy blocked in and Reyes kicked out and blocked the sweeping Outside LB. I made of note of that because of the fact that sort of pass block was shown on National Television when it (while being performed by Bennie Anderson) failed to contain McGinest if memory serves from sacking-stripping Holcomb of the football. Holcomb was in on QB at the time of this play as well. From practice, practice mind you they looked good.

2 - Inconsistencies with Dropbacks and routes - From the Te and Slot position I saw a lot of Z-outs, which were typically associated with the 5 step drop. Evans would do the post -fade from time to time, Peerless a 15-17 yard square in. All of these were from 5.

Out of 3 steps, there were a number of screen/1 step hitches that became go routes if the corner jumped. Other than that, as you said there isn't the time for multiple routes, though many of the third string three steps became scrambles to find people open.

3. Blocking out of the wideouts - if they're doing their job, for the most part they are going to be engaging a corner at the line and/or assisting someone on the second level. I'm not saying they're stopping Julius Peppers, but I am saying they looked good engaging corners. Again, sorry if my "homerism" prevented me from objective analysis. How's this - "They got in the way well."

4. Mularkey, run game and preconceived notions - First off, Mularkey's got what? 20 years of coaching, several years of being a great OC and 2 years of Head coaching experience. I'm not doubting the man knows his stuff.

But, riddle me this then:

For a guy that was a former NFL Tight End and someone who has all of the aforementioned accolades, why didn't he use the tight ends more in his offensive gameplan, either when Clements was calling the plays or when he took over?

With respect to my comments on Willis and the run game - "Willis McGahee is not Jerome Bettis" - that is what Offensive Coordinator Matt Cavanaugh said to me whenever I would ask about some Bills runs we would look at in the past off-season. While Willis may not have been the most willing of runners at times last year, why was that? Was it because he had to bulk up to take a heavy run game up the gut?

And why would Mularkey take out a run that was so successful for the Bills (the HB Sweep out of Shotgun) in his second year when it was a good one for him in the first?

I wasn't in the Bills locker room last year. But I do know some things about football - and when you play in a zone-based run game and you have a center who cannot engage a defender pre-double team with the guard, you will not have an interior run game that is consistent. When you have a zone run game and you tell your running back not to make a decision to bounce it out, you are not helping yourself out. Look at the game vs the Jets last year. If memory serves, Willis' longest run during the game was because he decided that since the middle (where he tried to pound it) was not open he should bounce it out to the right. 20 some odd yards later, first down Bills.

Am I giving Willis a pass for not listening? No. But I do know if your line coach and rb coach are saying one thing and your head coach is saying another (in addition getting into arguments with the OC and other coaches) you have a failure to communicate.

5. Actually, you got me there. Why would I lump Joe Gibbs, Mike Martz, Al Saunders and Steve Fairchild together? They're all in the lineage of the "true" west coast offense, as designed by Sid Gillman. Don't believe me? Here's an article that proves it:

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/inside_ga...nside_football/

They ARE related. Some ideas have been changed by each coach, wrinkles and such - but the same overall principles. In fact, that's why it was so easy for Gibbs to give up Offensive responsibilities to Saunders - he knows the playbook and has "updated" it.

Or in the case of Coach Cavanaugh at Pitt while under Billick - when he became OC, Denny Green told him to utilize the West Coast Offense (the Walsh variety) while keeping the playcalls and terminology of the team (which had been the "true" west coast offense). If you'd like the notes on those I can see if I can scan them and send them to you, if you don't want to take my word for it.

I'm saddened that you found me to be self-aggrandizing, as I intended to try and take a bit of what I know and have learned in the past year and a half to my favorite football team. But if you want to infer that some of the things (most notably the coach listing issue) is something I just "threw in" I believe you are quite wrong.

Simon,

I'm not big on arguing a point, but I am big on discussing football. With that said:

1. Homer Alert - I am a Bills fan. I spent 40 minutes writing that for a Bills fan message board. I'm a homer, guilty as charged. But I am also a realist. I'm not saying that we have the second coming of the K gun on offense.

In practice, one of the plays that made me say "quite good" was a pass play in which Gandy blocked in and Reyes kicked out and blocked the sweeping Outside LB. I made of note of that because of the fact that sort of pass block was shown on National Television when it (while being performed by Bennie Anderson) failed to contain McGinest if memory serves from sacking-stripping Holcomb of the football. Holcomb was in on QB at the time of this play as well. From practice, practice mind you they looked good.

2 - Inconsistencies with Dropbacks and routes - From the Te and Slot position I saw a lot of Z-outs, which were typically associated with the 5 step drop. Evans would do the post -fade from time to time, Peerless a 15-17 yard square in. All of these were from 5.

Out of 3 steps, there were a number of screen/1 step hitches that became go routes if the corner jumped. Other than that, as you said there isn't the time for multiple routes, though many of the third string three steps became scrambles to find people open.

3. Blocking out of the wideouts - if they're doing their job, for the most part they are going to be engaging a corner at the line and/or assisting someone on the second level. I'm not saying they're stopping Julius Peppers, but I am saying they looked good engaging corners. Again, sorry if my "homerism" prevented me from objective analysis. How's this - "They got in the way well."

4. Mularkey, run game and preconceived notions - First off, Mularkey's got what? 20 years of coaching, several years of being a great OC and 2 years of Head coaching experience. I'm not doubting the man knows his stuff.

But, riddle me this then:

For a guy that was a former NFL Tight End and someone who has all of the aforementioned accolades, why didn't he use the tight ends more in his offensive gameplan, either when Clements was calling the plays or when he took over?

With respect to my comments on Willis and the run game - "Willis McGahee is not Jerome Bettis" - that is what Offensive Coordinator Matt Cavanaugh said to me whenever I would ask about some Bills runs we would look at in the past off-season. While Willis may not have been the most willing of runners at times last year, why was that? Was it because he had to bulk up to take a heavy run game up the gut?

And why would Mularkey take out a run that was so successful for the Bills (the HB Sweep out of Shotgun) in his second year when it was a good one for him in the first?

I wasn't in the Bills locker room last year. But I do know some things about football - and when you play in a zone-based run game and you have a center who cannot engage a defender pre-double team with the guard, you will not have an interior run game that is consistent. When you have a zone run game and you tell your running back not to make a decision to bounce it out, you are not helping yourself out. Look at the game vs the Jets last year. If memory serves, Willis' longest run during the game was because he decided that since the middle (where he tried to pound it) was not open he should bounce it out to the right. 20 some odd yards later, first down Bills.

Am I giving Willis a pass for not listening? No. But I do know if your line coach and rb coach are saying one thing and your head coach is saying another (in addition getting into arguments with the OC and other coaches) you have a failure to communicate.

5. Actually, you got me there. Why would I lump Joe Gibbs, Mike Martz, Al Saunders and Steve Fairchild together? They're all in the lineage of the "true" west coast offense, as designed by Sid Gillman. Don't believe me? Here's an article that proves it:

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/inside_ga...nside_football/

They ARE related. Some ideas have been changed by each coach, wrinkles and such - but the same overall principles. In fact, that's why it was so easy for Gibbs to give up Offensive responsibilities to Saunders - he knows the playbook and has "updated" it.

Or in the case of Coach Cavanaugh at Pitt while under Billick - when he became OC, Denny Green told him to utilize the West Coast Offense (the Walsh variety) while keeping the playcalls and terminology of the team (which had been the "true" west coast offense). If you'd like the notes on those I can see if I can scan them and send them to you, if you don't want to take my word for it.

I'm saddened that you found me to be self-aggrandizing, as I intended to try and take a bit of what I know and have learned in the past year and a half to my favorite football team. But if you want to infer that some of the things (most notably the coach listing issue) is something I just "threw in" I believe you are quite wrong.

741458[/snapback]

Very well said. A lot of posters over here on TSW -- myself included -- could and should take pointers on how to defend a position in a civil and respectful way.

Please post more over here. :doh:

Thanks much, I'll try to be more active over here - I usually would read the articles on the front page and post every now and then, but then the QB comp started and the insults began to fly and personally, I have better things to do than to get all bent outta shape on something someone says when we're rooting for the same team.

I can't say that I blame you.

The second I was finished reading the post, my first thought was "this guy obviously knows more than our coaches, let alone ANY coach." Then, I wondered as to whether of not Parcells and Gibbs pester you over the phone, constantly seeking advice.

My advice is to get a good Caller ID system so you can filter your calls.

You may be "construed" as being the best football mind in the United States, but you ARE entitled to a little rest and privacy!

741441[/snapback]

I take it you're being sarcastic?

If so: Perhaps this is why we don't get more football-minded posters around here, and why thread after thread is full of cheerleading and the half-witted musings of half-wits. Someone new comes along who tries to offer an informed analysis of the Bills' new offensive scheme, doesn't attack anyone, tries to be humble, HE WAS IN FACT INVITED by other posters, and he is called a "homer" and charged with being full of himself. For having the gall to challenge the wisdom of the select Sages of TSW. It is amazing how immature people's reactions are when they feel that their status as the big fish in the small pond is being threatened. It's a football message board for chrissakes. I come here to learn about football. It's not a clique or a club. Get a fuggin life.

If not: my apologies. Wasn't talking about you.

Thanks much, I'll try to be more active over here - I usually would read the articles on the front page and post every now and then, but then the QB comp started and the insults began to fly and personally, I have better things to do than to get all bent outta shape on something someone says when we're rooting for the same team.

741463[/snapback]

Thanks. Don't take it personally. You surely know from going to a lot of footballs games on all levels that there are numerous kinds of fan archetypes and they all express themselves differently. Some like to be aggressive, some love to argue, some are loud and arrogant, some love to discuss X's and O's, some aren't that smart but are exuberant, some are loud mouth know-it-alls-that-know-nothing. You also surely know you can engage some and not others. I surely would appreciate your observations here whether some people don't like them or not. They're all just opinions anyway. Thanks again for your posts. Hope to see you a lot here.

Thanks. Don't take it personally. You surely know from going to a lot of footballs games on all levels that there are numerous kinds of fan archetypes and they all express themselves differently. Some like to be aggressive, some love to argue, some are loud and arrogant, some love to discuss X's and O's, some aren't that smart but are exuberant, some are loud mouth know-it-alls-that-know-nothing. You also surely know you can engage some and not others. I surely would appreciate your observations here whether some people don't like them or not. They're all just opinions anyway. Thanks again for your posts. Hope to see you a lot here.

741469[/snapback]

Well I'll probably be on a lot 'til school starts again at the end of the month, so I'll be sure to "peek my head in" on a few convos.

I'm watching the Cardinals game on the NFL Network and my goodness - if our single back set can play like theirs has against the Steelers, I think we'll all enjoy the year! Granted, it's pre-season, but I like seeing 2 first team tds for any team.

I take it you're being sarcastic?

If so:  Perhaps this is why we don't get more football-minded posters around here, and why thread after thread is full of cheerleading and the half-witted musings of half-wits.  Someone new comes along who tries to offer an informed analysis of the Bills' new offensive scheme, doesn't attack anyone, tries to be humble, HE WAS IN FACT INVITED by other posters, and he is called a "homer" and charged with being full of himself.  For having the gall to challenge the wisdom of the select Sages of TSW.  It is amazing how immature people's reactions are when they feel that their status as the big fish in the small pond is being threatened.  It's a football message board for chrissakes.  I come here to learn about football.  It's not a clique or a club.  Get a fuggin life.

If not:  my apologies.  Wasn't talking about you.

741465[/snapback]

Of course I was being sarcastic. Look at this.......

>>>>>I am really glad you guys enjoyed it too - I've been quite worried that if I ever posted something like that I'd be construed as knowing more than the coaches or something like that.<<<<<

Hey, it is great to talk football with any poster, old or new. Having said that, for a person to post his "worries" as such is just a bit much, or so I see it.

In any event, I do welcome this person and other new posters.

Perhaps the next time I respond to a statement such as the above, I will run it by you first to make sure it doesn't ruffle your feathers. After all, you are calling the shots, and it disturbs me that you think that I need to get a "fuggin life."

Can you feel it?

Of course I was being sarcastic. Look at this.......

>>>>>I am really glad you guys enjoyed it too - I've been quite worried that if I ever posted something like that I'd be construed as knowing more than the coaches or something like that.<<<<<

Hey, it is great to talk football with any poster, old or new. Having said that, for a person to post his "worries" as such is just a bit much, or so I see it.

In any event, I do welcome this person and other new posters.

Perhaps the next time I respond to a statement such as the above, I will run it by you first to make sure it doesn't ruffle your feathers. After all, you are calling the shots, and it disturbs me that you think that I need to get a "fuggin life."

Can you feel it?

741478[/snapback]

Bill,

In all fairness, on this board right now there are articles detailing:

an ESPN conspiracy against the Bills

how Kelly Holcomb / JP Losman starting will bring about the end of the franchise

various freaking out regarding Madden stats for Bills players.

After posting my article, the first thing I expected was "hey, this guy thinks he's Lombardi reincarnate" or something like that, which I don't.

Bill,

In all fairness, on this board right now there are articles detailing:

an ESPN conspiracy against the Bills

how Kelly Holcomb / JP Losman starting will bring about the end of the franchise

various freaking out regarding Madden stats for Bills players.

After posting my article, the first thing I expected was "hey, this guy thinks he's Lombardi reincarnate" or something like that, which I don't.

741486[/snapback]

Fair enough.

Btw, do you think that perhaps Mullarkey (a former TE) didn't involve the TEs more because the OL was so poor? I mean, we were looking at a finished Mike Williams and Greg Jerman at RT for much of last season. The rest of the year, was Perters, who I think will be good, but he was a rookie playing next to a bad RG.

Certainly, the TEs were needed up front, or so one would think.

I thought I did.

But when somebody refers to the great blocking of our WR's, is talking about running doublemoves off of short drops, pretends to know what happened in a locker room he was nowhere near, expresses admiration for an offense that doesn't fit the Bills' personell and tries to equate coaches who run very different offenses it's going to raise questions about his motivations and his reliability.

Can't argue with that.

741429[/snapback]

A quick note before a bud comes over and we head out to pick up some grub to watch the first pre-season game over. I also was a bit surprised that someone found your points to be personal attacks because after reading them I was pleased to see some banter about football substance after many you and what army comments.

I think folks may be a little overprotective of TKOSpiked because they like his post and want him to hang around and post on TSW. I aggree that his post and take on things is great to have, but I also found your disagreements with his point fairly substantive and you did raise specific football points , so I hope and assume with time folks with lighten up and just keep on posting.

When I get back after the game I hope to comment on both some of his and some your points as well.

I love the football season and I love the football banter!!!!

OOOhhhh yaaa!

Fair enough.

Btw, do you think that perhaps Mullarkey (a former TE) didn't involve the TEs more because the OL was so poor? I mean, we were looking at a finished Mike Williams and Greg Jerman at RT for much of last season. The rest of the year, was Perters, who I think will be good, but he was a rookie playing next to a bad RG.

Certainly, the TEs were needed up front, or so one would think.

741491[/snapback]

Bill,

I think that was a very big problem last year, and a good reason for the lack of a TE presence. However, when JP was first in as a starter (and when Holcomb became a regular) I wondered to myself why he didn't use the TE more on shorter routes for either A) JP to get some confidence prior to some longer throws or B) Give Holcomb more options that were "safe" and quick.

I can also see your point about the RG situation. Even if he was healthy, Chris V is getting older and even this year had a few comments in one of those arguments saying something to the effect of he missed the days when you could just man block and maul a guy. Though I'm sure it's just him being honest, if you're not playing in that system and you have 4/5 of a line that is built (at least on paper) for it, you may wanna not air that out too much.