Help me understand Jazz

ajzepp

it can't be taught, it can only be felt.  find a nice outdoor jazz fest in your area, get a blanket and some cocktails and make a day of it.  hanging out, chatting, enjoying the day all the while some music fills the background and at some point envelops you and your foot or hand start tapping, then you may get jazz...then again you still may not

738012[/snapback]

As much as I like a nice outdoor jazz festival, especially for the way many artists gladly donate their time to show up there (as opposed to the diva-ish ways of many popular recording acts), I am and always will be a fan of acoustic jazz indoors. I love going to see a nice jazz trio or quartet in some small club (there was a great in house trio I saw once in Springfield Mass that was awesome!). The acoustics sound so much better that way, @ least to me they do.

• Replies 97
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The woman who took your hand (or whatever  ;) ) and let you to great Classical music gave you a grea gift.

737848[/snapback]

That she did....I remember going over after class to hear her practice in the auditorium of her college (Eastman in Rochester). I'd never heard such rich, amazing music as those vocals and, when they were there, the orchestra. Pretty amazing stuff! I've never forgotten it.

thanks to all you guys for the great feedback....It never ceases to amaze me what a great resource this forum is for music. I really appreciate all your help!

The first step to enjoying jazz is to develop an incredible addiction to heroin........no wait that's blues.

737844[/snapback]

Nah...it's jazz too ;)

Saxophonist Charlie Parker, pianist Thelonious Monk and singer Billie Holiday were all the subjects of highly publicised drug busts, with Holiday spending eight months in jail at the height of her career. Holiday and Parker (or at least the cult that grew up around them) have been blamed for glamorising the drug, and Bird disciples Miles Davis and John Coltrane both became celebrity addicts, as did many of their contemporaries, including singer Anita O'Day.

"Jazz" is such an enormous catch-all and has so many stylistic variations that it's tough to give easy recommendations. Personally, I love piano trios with Bill Evans being the ne-plus ultra of the format and Lynne Arriale being the best current artist. However, this style tends to be very melodic and could easily be considered "background music" if you're not really used to it.

A more upbeat style that blends a lot of Blues elements, is from Gene Harris. Real good stuff...

Try Dave Brubek and Vince Guaraldi. Easily my two favorite jazz pianists.

Brubeck especially.

738040[/snapback]

If you like piano jazz, pick up Bill Charlap Plays George Gershwin: The American Soul. Sweet!

If you like piano jazz, pick up Bill Charlap Plays George Gershwin: The American Soul.  Sweet!

738141[/snapback]

Those guys are good, but I prefer Thelonious Monk, Chick Corea (acoustic as opposed to electric), and Ahmad Jamal any day of the week.

Also, Ellis Marsalis is phenomenal.

Those guys are good, but I prefer Thelonious Monk, Chick Corea (acoustic as opposed to electric), and Ahmad Jamal any day of the week. 

Also, Ellis Marsalis is phenomenal.

738145[/snapback]

Monk is the man. But, given JSP's current piano jazz interests, I dunno if he'll resonate with him...yet. Add Horace Silver, Oscar Peterson and McCoy Tyner to that list, Richy Rich. (Yes, there are plenty more.)

Monk is the man.  But, given JSP's current piano jazz interests, I dunno if he'll resonate with him...yet.  Add Horace Silver, Oscar Peterson and McCoy Tyner to that list, Richy Rich.  (Yes, there are plenty more.)

738148[/snapback]

Fats Waller!!!!!

Monk is the man! I have been listening to Straight No Chaser and Monks Dream heavily the past few months. Both great intro albums to jazz and 2 of the greatest jazz recordings ever. I have also been listening to some later Coltrane-Ascension and Stellar Regions. Great stuff but I dont recommend those albums for beginners. They are pretty out there. Another jazz album that I have been giving heavy airplay is the Bitches Brew 4 disc box set-its Miles doing a rock/jazz fusion improv- amazing!

I once again highly recommend the Jazz DVD series by Ken Burns. Lots of factoids- for example- the only red light district in the history of the USA was Smallville in New Orleans. Jazz musicians played brothels while Prostitutes worked customers in the next room. The prostitutes preferred perfume was Jasmine- thats where the name Jazz came from. Also jazz was invented in Congo Square in Nawlins(Man do I love that city!!) and the first Jazz musician ever was Buddy Boldin.

Here is the first jazz recording ever-Livery Stable Blues-recorded in 1917. Definitely not the first jazz band ever, just the first recorded. Sounds pretty good regardless

http://www.jazzinamerica.org/l_audio_d.asp?SnippetID=2

BTW if you dont like the Blues go to Buddy Guys or Kingston Mines in Chicago.  !@#$ing amazing!

738786[/snapback]

I was just talking w/ someone about that over on Bills Zone. They said they had heard Buddy Guy's place was closed down, but I told them that his website for the club is still up and running. Glad to know it's still open, if it actually still is.

Monk is the man!  I have been listening to Straight No Chaser and Monks Dream heavily the past few months.  Both great intro albums to jazz and 2 of the greatest jazz recordings ever.  I have also been listening to some later Coltrane-Ascension and Stellar Regions.  Great stuff but I dont recommend those albums for beginners.  They are pretty out there.  Another jazz album that I have been giving heavy airplay is the Bitches Brew 4 disc box set-its Miles doing a rock/jazz fusion improv- amazing!

I once again highly recommend the Jazz DVD series by Ken Burns.  Lots of factoids- for example- the only red light district in the history of the USA was Smallville in New Orleans.  Jazz musicians played brothels while Prostitutes worked customers in the next room.  The prostitutes preferred perfume was Jasmine- thats where the name Jazz came from.  Also jazz was invented in Congo Square in Nawlins(Man do I love that city!!) and the first Jazz musician ever was Buddy Boldin.

Here is the first jazz recording ever-Livery Stable Blues-recorded in 1917.  Definitely not the first jazz band ever, just the first recorded.  Sounds pretty good regardless

http://www.jazzinamerica.org/l_audio_d.asp?SnippetID=2

738779[/snapback]

As I mentioned in another post, Clint Eastwood's documentary on Monk is a must see for any jazz fan, especially a fan of Monk's work. I have it on VHS, and if I ever find the tape, I'm going to convert it to DVD.

I once again highly recommend the Jazz DVD series by Ken Burns.  Lots of factoids- for example- the only red light district in the history of the USA was Smallville in New Orleans.  Jazz musicians played brothels while Prostitutes worked customers in the next room.  The prostitutes preferred perfume was Jasmine- thats where the name Jazz came from.

738779[/snapback]

Interesting...

And probably the slang expression "all jazzed up"... Meaning all effed up...

...???

As I mentioned in another post, Clint Eastwood's documentary on Monk is a must see for any jazz fan, especially a fan of Monk's work.  I have it on VHS, and if I ever find the tape, I'm going to convert it to DVD.

738792[/snapback]

If it's movie I'm thinking or, it's terrific. Does he do a lot of spinning in it? And I think the Burns doc is good and a must see, as well.

Since Pete has introduced some OLD jazz (and an album I will have to check out) I think another interesting early creator is Bix Beiderbecke. Check him (and Louis Armstrong) out later on your trip.

BTW, has anyone mentioned Mingus? In the must-haves of any devout fan of jazz, he has to be included.

Parker and Coltrane have been discussed and they are awesome...the best ever. You may want to give a listen to Sonny Rollins and Joe Henderson, as well. Rollins is still alive and performing. He is one of the true kings of bop. See him if you can. Henderson and Dexter Gordon are very accessible, yet brilliant, players. A good listen for novices and grizzled vets

If it's movie I'm thinking or, it's terrific.  Does he do a lot of spinning in it?  And I think the Burns doc is good and a must see, as well.

Since Pete has introduced some OLD jazz (and an album I will have to check out) I think another interesting early creator is Bix Beiderbecke.  Check him (and Louis Armstrong) out later on your trip.

BTW, has anyone mentioned Mingus?  In the must-haves of any devout fan of jazz, he has to be included. 

Parker and Coltrane have been discussed and they are awesome...the best ever.  You may want to give a listen to Sonny Rollins and Joe Henderson, as well.  Rollins is still alive and performing.  He is one of the true kings of bop.  See him if you can.  Henderson and Dexter Gordon are very accessible, yet brilliant, players.  A good listen for novices and grizzled vets

738822[/snapback]

<_<;)

Leon Bix Beiderbecke

Born in Davenport, Iowa (Quad Cities)... I lived there for a short spell before ending up here. They have an internationally known run... 7 mile affair, called The Bix 7 every year... This year it was on July 29th...

Just wanted to add another vote for Miles' "Kind of Blue". It was the one that really turned me on. And since nobody's mentioned it, I've got to mention Coltrane's "Love Supreme".

If you're wanting to start with something a little more accessible (read: modern), try some groups/artists like Urban Knights, Jeff Golub, Bonafide, Boney James, Rick Braun.

If you like it, transition on to some Maynard Ferguson, Buddy Rich or Branford Marsalis. If you continueto like what you're hearing it's going to lead you to the classics.

'Ere