new rug

mead107

• Replies 104
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

do you tip your mailman? lawn care person? trashmen? TV repair person? why does everyone think they need a tip?

having new rug put in in the up stairs . doing the steps and hall way . giving them a $ 20 tip . told them to have lunch on me  . would you tip them if they worked for you ???

735237[/snapback]

having new rug put in in the up stairs . doing the steps and hall way . giving them a $ 20 tip . told them to have lunch on me  . would you tip them if they worked for you ???

735237[/snapback]

Not sure, but I offered the guys working in my house essentially anything they wanted to drink and eat. I bought them a 12 pack to take with them after the job was done...

do you tip your mailman?  lawn care person?  trashmen?  TV repair person?  why does everyone think they need a tip?

735310[/snapback]

I feel the same way, Why does everyone require a tip for doing a job they are being payed for? Last time I checked, I am already paying you when you hand me a bill, why should I have to give you more because "You did a good job"? Is that why I am paying you in the first place, to come in and do a good job?

If you are going to tip them, why don't you tip the cashier at the grocery store, your mailperson, The person who you bought the rug from (the stores sales person). What makes them so different? If they were doing it for free that is fine, they should be given something for working for free, but they are already being payed.

I don't think it's required and I don't think these guys expect it, but it's still a cool thing to do in my opinion.

I file it under, "people just being nice to other people," not so much under, "who do these people think they are--they're getting paid already."

Never tip anyone that does work on  your house.  Some problems don't turn up for awhile.  Dont' worry they get paid enough and usually !@#$ something else up while they're there.

735382[/snapback]

Right on. It's easy to feel like they're busting their ass and you want to offer them a little something extra, but do what I do: wait. That feeling passes as soon as they're gone.

So is the waitress/waiter/bartender. $3.15 an hour or something like that. Maybe you should switch?

735452[/snapback]

There are some people you tip and some you don't. It's that simple and it's not really for someone to make that decision, society has for you. Just go with the flow and stop complaining. Obviously waiters and waitresses, etc. rely on people tipping them so you tip them. Some other people you tip too.

The way I usually handle tipping for abnormal situations (i.e. not waiters, valets, curb checkers, etc.) is if they do something that makes you feel like you got a better than normal experience, then why not reward that? If you feel that the job they did exceeded your expectations, then go right ahead.

For example, if they were very polite and professional, helpful if you had any questions or problems, etc.

It's up to you to decide if you think the job they did deserves further compensation beyond what they are already making. There are no cookie-cutter rules for tipping...you wanna throw a guy a few extra bucks? Go for it...it will probably make his day.

The cable guy came out to run me a clean line for my modem a couple weeks ago....I tipped him a $20 spot. I don't tip a lot, but I usually tip well when I do, particularly with restaurant servers since I've been there/done that/have the t-shirt.

The cable guy came out to run me a clean line for my modem a couple weeks ago....I tipped him a $20 spot. I don't tip a lot, but I usually tip well when I do, particularly with restaurant servers since I've been there/done that/have the t-shirt.

735546[/snapback]

Its good to do that sometimes. Couple of years ago, I had a large window replaced in one of the bedrooms of the house. With broken glass around, it can be tricky with a couple of little kids. Well, they went, in my opinion, above and beyond, in their clean up. So I, like you just threw them a double saw buck.

Fast forward three years:

I called the same company up to replace a window in my new house. They had said that they could be out next week. I said that wouldn't work, then reminded them that I had used their service before and was very pleased. When I gave him my old address, he remembered me and my family.

He then said, "I can come out the next day and get it done for you Mr. erynthered"

Some times it can pay dividends. :lol:

Its good to do that sometimes. Couple of years ago, I had a large window replaced in one of the bedrooms of the house. With broken glass around, it can be tricky with a couple of little kids. Well, they went, in  my opinion, above and beyond, in their clean up. So I, like you just threw them a double saw buck.

Fast forward three years:

I called the same company up to replace a window in my new house. They had said that they could be out next week. I said that wouldn't work, then reminded them that I had used their service before and was very pleased. When I gave him my old address, he remembered me and my family.

He then said, "I can come out the next day and get it done for you Mr. erynthered"

Some times it can pay dividends. :lol:

735563[/snapback]

Wow, three years later? That's pretty cool. People appreciate it when you do stuff like that for them, so I don't have any problem taking part in tipping. Lord knows that there are enough incompetents out there that when you find someone good you might as well show them you value their service. My a/c went down a month or two ago....the guy they sent out here "fixed it", but then it died the next day. He came back out to change the motor the following day, but as he was installing it I heard a "poof"....followed by him mumbling, "uh oh, that's not good." The guy finished the job and left, though it was clear to me that something was not right. I didn't want HIM to troubleshoot it though, so I let him leave and then called his supervisor about five mins after he left. They sent out a sr. tech the next day who installed yet another motor, and who was also candid enough to explain how the guy from yesterday screwed up. The company lost money on the job overall cause I obviously refused to pay for anything but the cost of a motor, but the second guy who came out did a great job at cleaning up the mess, so I had no problem tipping him.

I just want things done right. I want people to show up when they say they're going to be here and to do a competent job. If they do that, I don't mind tipping them. If not, screw 'em.

Right on. It's easy to feel like they're busting their ass and you want to offer them a little something extra, but do what I do: wait. That feeling passes as soon as they're gone.

735465[/snapback]

A couple I work with bought a house and are having major renovations done. They stepped on the new carpet and thought if felt funny. The ower of the company came out and pulled up the carpet and saw they didn't replace the old pad. The owner of the company was pissed! Fired the workers and redid it himself. And you want to tip the people??