Would You Rather Go 8-8 With Holcomb

What do you think makes the most sense? I believe that Nall is not going to win this job so I pose this question for the other two. I would rather find out once and for all what this team has in Losman. Going 8-8 means absolutely nothing to me if that includes not making the playoffs.

What are your thoughts? This 4-12 stat does not suggest that Losman equals bad record because I think Losman has a chance to reach a respectable record. I just want to see who else (if anybody) believes that Holcomb just postpones any REAL success for the future of this team.

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It's entirely about making the playoffs - I want the plan that gets us into the playoffs, the soonest. It was fun going 9-7 in 2004, but who really cares, we didn't get in, and it's just another failed season. So an 8-8 season is mostly likely roughly equivalent to a 4-12 one in my mind. The question is what sets us up better the next year: playing Losman. That means we'll know to cut him and get somebody new.

4-12 with Losman so we could ditch the both of them after this year, get the #1 pick, draft Brady Quinn, and swoop over free agency spending money like we're George Steinbrener. Next year come back to go 12-4 and win it all in 2007-2008!!! Ahhhh, just wishful thinking.

I would rather put a glowing hot poker in my eye than go 8-8 with Holcomb. Holcomb is a mediocre known commodity while JP is a talent of unknown limits. I'd rather go down swinging than hitting a slow roller to first.

I would rather put a glowing hot poker in my eye than go 8-8 with Holcomb.  Holcomb is a mediocre known commodity while JP is a talent of unknown limits.  I'd rather go down swinging than hitting a slow roller to first.

732224[/snapback]

Good call :D

How can we win 4 more games with a QB that can't throw more than 20 yards, and has all the arm strength of a rubber band? If Holcomb is our starter, every defense will play a shorter field because they know Holcomb can't throw that far, which of course will make running the ball that much harder.

I think your question should be 4-12 (or worse) with Holcomb or 8-8 (or better) with Losman!

PTR

I would rather put a glowing hot poker in my eye than go 8-8 with Holcomb.  Holcomb is a mediocre known commodity while JP is a talent of unknown limits.  I'd rather go down swinging than hitting a slow roller to first.

732224[/snapback]

THat is pretty much how I feel about the situation. Let's just hope that Losman can step it up enough in camp.

There is no other real choice but to go with Losman throughout the season. The only reason for a change is if Losman goes 0-8 and its clear that he would never be able to qb the team. In that case it might be worth giving Nall a shot. KH offers pretty much nothing of an upside for the team. This is Losman's season..for better (I hope!) or for worse.

Both of your scenarios are a reach.

732234[/snapback]

Both scenarios very well could be a reach but I had to come up with these numbers to see where people stood on the subject. (Coasting with Holcomb and being middle of the road or letting it fly with Losman even if it means going down in flames.)

I would rather go down in flames and rid the team of this 2-3 headed experiment. Hopefully Losman comes out to shine....

I know most like to rag on Holcomb's arm strength, but I do recall at least a handful of nice bombs last year (to Evans or Reed?) by Holcomb. Anybody have stats as far as his longest pass last season? As far as the question of the post, I'd rather Losman step up and play well which should definitely result in more than 4 wins IMO. I know he hasn't played much, but all the practice and time spent on our beloved Bills team should have made him a better, more mature player than when he first joined our team....

Rumours of Holcombs arm strength (or lack of) are greatly exaggerated...true, he is not amongst the strogest armed signal callers in the NFL, but there have been guys with equally weak arms that have done pretty well...that being said, you have to go with J.P. Losman...it is time to, once and for all, determine if he is capable of anything more than talking a good game...Holcomb is still a decent back-up, short term option...who knows, maybe if Losman does a 360, and shows lots of improvement, and Nall is healthy, Holcomb may make good trade bate to some team with a starting QB injury...normally, by week 6, there are two or three desperate teams...

Rumours of Holcombs arm strength (or lack of) are greatly exaggerated...true, he is not amongst the strogest armed signal callers in the NFL, but there have been guys with equally weak arms that have done pretty well...

732289[/snapback]

I'd have to agree. Bulger, who was successful with Fairchild, comes to mind. I still think Holcomb is better suited as a back-up though. He reminds me of Reich. Smart capable guy who will get the job done for a while, but you don't really want to put the season on his shoulders.