VCoach- Crowell starting

Pete

To be fair, Posey racked-up 8.5 sacks as a rush OLB in a 3-4.  To have expected the same out of him in a 4-3 was asking too much.

731083[/snapback]

When given the opportunity to rush the passer, he was frequently matched up with what should have been an overmatched TE in protection. Yet not only did he fail to produce turnovers or sacks, he rarely even managed to produce the least bit of pressure. Combined with the fact he was routinely blown out of the hole by smaller players and was stiff in coverage with no instincts, he has no business as a starter in this league and this move should have been made a couple seasons ago.

Cya

To be fair, Posey racked-up 8.5 sacks as a rush OLB in a 3-4.  To have expected the same out of him in a 4-3 was asking too much.

731083[/snapback]

For what it's worth under Dick Jauron in 2000 and 2001 in a base 4-3 defense SLB Roosevelt Colvin registered 10.5 sacks in each of those seasons. Although we might not be running the same defense that Jauron ran with the Bears.

:w00t:  :w00t:  :lol:

C'mon MbD, the only place Posey is even close to Paup is in the alphabet.

Yikes! I didn't mean to say THAT! :w00t:

What I was trying to say is that Paup got more sacks in a 3-4 than a 4-3; a lot more in fact. I'm just saying that proportionally, Posey's sacks would be expected to drop going from the 3-4 to the 4-3. Posey is NOWHERE near Paup, I agree.

You could see this one coming as soon as you think back to how well Crowell performed last season combined with our new cover-2 D which suits Crowell's best attributes well.

730932[/snapback]

Plus the front office didn't hide the demotion in Spring-

Posey

playing the strong side

730815[/snapback]

I believe that this is the first of many practical decisions that this coaching staff will make. Jauron and Levy are not afraid to upset people, especially those that were signed to lucrative contracts by Donahoe.

Posey may very well be cut.

Because I watched every snap he was on the field last year and analyzed the tape several times. He was terrible.

731131[/snapback]

I'm right there with you on that one. I watched him closely also, he appeared very out of place.

Take the KC game for instance, he recovered a fumble and hesitated for a split second as if he needed to think about what to do. Then he lumbered and I mean lumbered downfield very slowly and was tackled.

I'm right there with you on that one.  I watched him closely also, he appeared very out of place.

Take the KC game for instance, he recovered a fumble and hesitated for a split second as if he needed to think about what to do.  Then he lumbered and I mean lumbered downfield very slowly and was tackled.

731135[/snapback]

It's absolutely laughable that he would be seriously considered for playing as a stand-up lineman when his greatest weakness if his absolute concession to anyone who made solid contact on him. Get him CLOSER to the action and he'll somehow become more productive? No- This guys success in the 3-4 was based solely on the space given the outside linebackers in the scheme and the good work of other guys on his side of the ball. Traffic is this guy's absolute Achilles heel and the thought of puttiing him in the middle of the road should be funny- but somehow I'm not laughing.

I'm guessing some minimum salary guy like Jason Hall puts up a much better show as an edge guy and makes the Posey salary expendable.

I also find it ironic that anyone who is a Bills fan would want a Bill to be such a bad performer he is cut. I can see being overjoyed with positive news about Crowell demanding field time due to his play, but being happy that your former starter is not going to be good enough to be a back-up seems to be bad news for the team.

The good news that I actually take from Crowell getting reps as starting SLB is that this seems to be a real sign that the Bills braintrust is practicing like TKO is gonna be there to start at WLB.

As far as judgments about Posey go, i think the facts of the situation indicate that he a central part of a D that was pretty good in 2003 when it finished 5th in the league statistically and saved the Bills many times as the 03 offense under Bledsoe was horrid.

Several folks (including some folks who have benefited with good football knowledge) judged Posey to be inadequate, but it is simply the case that the 04 D improved its performance over 03 with Posey still logging considerable time and playing a key role.

If he was so obviously bad then I would think that folks might easily have pointed to specific plays where his tackles were busted for big gains in 03 or 04 or a player whom he likely was covering caught a big gain pass or scored a TD. No one could provide these examples and the great statistical finish by the team that year indicates these examples simply do not exist.

Even a defender of Posey such as me could see that he and most of the rest of the D failed to execute well last year. I think Crowell is a more talented player and I think we will have a stronger LB corps with TKO. Fletch. and Crowell. but it is fine with me and I think it is likely that Posey is the 4th best LB on this team (I look forward to seeing what Watson can do).

Given the uncertaintys which will revolve arounf TK)s recovery from injury until he plays a few games, I hope Posey resumes his past level of performance from 03 and 04.

In fact, I think it will be great for the Bills if he can resume his level of performance he achieved in a 3-4 with the Texans and actally gives us another resource at DE to make the Tampa 2 scheme work well.

I think most folks rooting for the Bills would want Posey to do well even if they also hope Crowell starts at the Sam spot as i do.

Yikes!  I didn't mean to say THAT! :w00t:

What I was trying to say is that Paup got more sacks in a 3-4 than a 4-3; a lot more in fact.  I'm just saying that proportionally, Posey's sacks would be expected to drop going from the 3-4 to the 4-3.  Posey is NOWHERE near Paup, I agree.

731098[/snapback]

I am NOT piling on here Brother, but Bryce could get sacks in any formation.. If you scroll down to 1990, you will note that 23 linebackers were selected ahead of him. :w00t: Not bad for a late 6th round pick, huh? :lol: How on earth did he last that long?

I forgot who the GB GM was at the time (Wolf???), but he said that his worst professional move as a GM was to not re-sign Bryce.

Again, I know what you were getting at. :lol: I just wanted to take the opportunity to think back on how great it was to watch Bryce play. I was at RWS for a game against Indy. Bruce sacked Harbaugh once, Hansen twice, and Bryce 3 times. It was one of the worst beatings I have ever seen a qb take.

Bryce was a freak, because of his height, extremely long arms, great moves, and super strength. Just a natural pass rusher. He was particularly brutal when his inside move would work and he would bull rush. I remember when he once put O'Donnell out of a game when he was on the jests with a vicious hit.

Hey, do you think that his injury healed yet? :w00t:

If he was so obviously bad then I would think that folks might easily have pointed to specific plays where his tackles were busted for big gains in 03 or 04 or a player whom he likely was covering caught a big gain pass or scored a TD.  No one could provide these examples and the great statistical finish by the team that year indicates these examples simply do not exist.

731221[/snapback]

Just grabbing a tape at random watch the second defensive play of our 2005 season. This play exemplifies Posey's problems playing at this level-

It's a second and 8 run to the Strong Side and the Texan's #4 TE- a scrub named Matt Murphy who isn't on a roster this season although he's been in the league the past 4 years- moves deliberately up into Posey's line and actually knocks Posey off his vertical balance, removing Posey from the play completely.

This is the guy's career- if he's untouched he can make plays; if he's challenged he's gone. You might live with that in your weakside backer but you just can't accept it from your SS or MLB in a 4-3.

• 2 weeks later...
Why would you want Posey to get cut?  He's the 4th or best LB on the squad and can be used for depth (particularly if Spikes doesn't come back like we hope).  It's not like the Bills are hard up against the cap or something.

730971[/snapback]

Because he is a poor defender and now the Bills staff agrees with me.

Bah,  Posey ain't bad enough to root for him being cut.  He's capable of being a starter, just not a great one.  Sounds like a good backup player.

I'm happy for Crowell, he's earned it.

730923[/snapback]

Yes he is. And no he is not.

Some people have been told so many times that a guy "sucks" that they believe it. Others seem to have have a mentality of all players either are great, or they suck without any room for in between (Like Posey)

730979[/snapback]

Maybe Dick Jauron and his staff heard the guy sucks. Or maybe they watched him stumble all over the field for two years?