Dontae Whitner

Nothing as of yet. I've been searching the web tonight for any updated news. From what I read from McCargo's agent, things should be resolved by Friday as he is in Rochester ready to go. I'm sure Whitner will follow soon enough. I'm not worried at all.

Nothing as of yet. I've been searching the web tonight for any updated news. From what I read from McCargo's agent, things should be resolved by Friday as he is in Rochester ready to go. I'm sure Whitner will follow soon enough. I'm not worried at all.

730452[/snapback]

Yeah it definitely sounds like McCargo is close according to his agent. I agree with Marv.....I just don't understand why these guys wait to the last week leading up to camp to get signed, especially if a team is expecting you to be an instant impact.

I hate to echo anything that Donahoe said, but he is right in regards to your 2nd contract is the most important. Get signed and get in camp.......you'll get your money (i can't understand how contracts can be held up for a $1-2 million......in terms of money what is the difference between $37 and $38 million).

Thanks for the updates.

Yeah it definitely sounds like McCargo is close according to his agent.  I agree with Marv.....I just don't understand why these guys wait to the last week leading up to camp to get signed, especially if a team is expecting you to be an instant impact.

I hate to echo anything that Donahoe said, but he is right in regards to your 2nd contract is the most important.  Get signed and get in camp.......you'll get your money (i can't understand how contracts can be held up for a $1-2 million......in terms of money what is the difference between $37 and $38 million).

Thanks for the updates.

730454[/snapback]

The difference is enough to support 1 additional baby momma.

It's the agents playing it ultra-safe.  They want to make sure they don't take a cheaper contract than the guy right after them.  Donte Whitner doesn't care if he's gonna make $25,000 less than Sims, but it's a big deal to the agents.

730556[/snapback]

And that is why players hire agents.

And that is why players hire agents.

730558[/snapback]

I actually went to a luncheon with Tony Dungy and Bill Polian yesterday. The question was asked about the Colts draftees and the fact that they have not signed. Polian laughed and then went on to say that he was not worried about it. He said this is a time when the agents are trying to get their names in the paper to recruit next years class. He said in many cased the agents and GM's have a agreement in place and that the hold out is largely ceremonial. I kinda thought he was kidding but then Dungy backed the statement up.

I actually went to a luncheon with Tony Dungy and Bill Polian yesterday.  The question was asked about the Colts draftees and the fact that they have not signed.  Polian laughed and then went on to say that he was not worried about it.  He said this is a time when the agents are trying to get their names in the paper to recruit next years class.  He said in many cased the agents and GM's have a agreement in place and that the hold out is largely ceremonial.  I kinda thought he was kidding but then Dungy backed the statement up.

730576[/snapback]

This sounds like one hell of a luncheon. I certainly would like to hear more.

When you say hold out, do you mean a player not reporting to camp on time? Or do you mean a player waiting until the last minute? I cannot not imagine a player would be very happy about missing camp time, thus sustaining the risks that come with that, to help his agent recruit fresh meat.

It is very interesting to know Polian speaks freely about something like that. I often wonder what happenings are just part of the game despite the fact that they worry and piss off fans.

This sounds like one hell of a luncheon. I certainly would like to hear more.

When you say hold out, do you mean a player not reporting to camp on time? Or do you mean a player waiting until the last minute? I cannot not imagine a player would be very happy about missing camp time, thus sustaining the risks that come with that, to help his agent recruit fresh meat.

It is very interesting to know Polian speaks freely about something like that. I often wonder what happenings are just part of the game despite the fact that they worry and piss off fans.

730585[/snapback]

He said they would hold out for a couple of days. Polian made it out to be no big deal. He went on to name Bob Sanders, Dallas Clark as a couple of hold outs and then sarcastically asked how did they play? Pretty good. And Agents could care less if they piss of the fans and when we are talking about 2-3 days of holding out I think the fans are going to forgive the player. Players... Well they get a few extra days of rest before playing. It is just part of the game I guess.

Remember also that this is the first time in their life that any of these men have signed a contract dedicating several years of their life to a job in exchange for multi-millions of dollars.

It is only prudent that you hire someone (a firm) that has done this before and that operates within the norms of the industry to represent your interests.

The norms of the industry are fairly silly IMHO, but this is an outcome of us operating within a capitalist system which functions based on two (actually more in the big picture) parties operating in an adversarial system where the employer is expected to represent their interests and the employee is expected to represent his interests (which to whatever degree reality provides includes his future, thanking his parents for their past efforts, close friends who have been with (a pool of people which suddenly grows when there is money in the water) and baby momma if he has them.

IMHO the system is silly its just better than all the rest (economically speaking).

I actually went to a luncheon with Tony Dungy and Bill Polian yesterday.  The question was asked about the Colts draftees and the fact that they have not signed.  Polian laughed and then went on to say that he was not worried about it.  He said this is a time when the agents are trying to get their names in the paper to recruit next years class.  He said in many cased the agents and GM's have a agreement in place and that the hold out is largely ceremonial.  I kinda thought he was kidding but then Dungy backed the statement up.

730576[/snapback]

Did you go WITH Dungy and Polian? Or, did you go to a luncheon where Dungy and Polian were speaking? Just curious....

Did you go WITH Dungy and Polian?  Or, did you go to a luncheon where Dungy and Polian were speaking?  Just curious....

730679[/snapback]

It was a luncheon for 200 people. Tony Dungy and Bill Polian were the featured speakers. I did not go WITH Dungy or Polian. I just was in attendence. I went last year and it was pretty interesting. You get some great stuff every year. This year they talked extensively about some of the rule changes. The false start rule is being tweaked and that holding will change as well.

It was a luncheon for 200 people.  Tony Dungy and Bill Polian were the featured speakers.  I did not go WITH Dungy or Polian.  I just was in attendence.  I went last year and it was pretty interesting.  You get some great stuff every year.  This year they talked extensively about some of the rule changes.  The false start rule is being tweaked and that holding will change as well.

730868[/snapback]

Sound like a pretty cool event. What's the big story with Indy this year? Who will replace Edge? Did they make enough off season moves to finally get to the SB? Is their training camp right in Indianapolis?

Sound like a pretty cool event.  What's the big story with Indy this year?  Who will replace Edge?  Did they make enough off season moves to finally get to the SB?  Is their training camp right in Indianapolis?

730947[/snapback]

Training camp is at Rose Hulman. They really like Joseph Addai. They feel he fits their scheme. They felt good about their RB situation but what are they really going to say...

Dungy mentioned that he was concerned about the loss of Edge and particularly Thornton. What was interesting also was that they had a salary cap dispute with the league preventing them from signing Thornton and the league was wrong but it cost the colts Thorntons services.

We take clients to the event every year. It is a really great event. They end the session opening the floor up for questions so you get the chance to basically ask them anything you want.

The classic question that was asked this year was about Vanderjack. They asked when the decision to cut him loose was made. Dungy just looked back at the crowd, grinned and then passed the Mike to Polian. It was great..

I hate to echo anything that Donahoe said, but he is right in regards to your 2nd contract is the most important.  Get signed and get in camp.......you'll get your money

730454[/snapback]

Except if you're a RB. The shelf life of a RB is incredibly low and any RB taken in the top half of the 1st round (i.e. one that teams will want to sign 6 year deals) had better get every single dime they can out of that contract for they may never hit big paydirt again.

That being said, this obviously doesn’t apply to our draft picks.

Why can't WGR get Whitner's mother on so that we know what the latest and greatest is! In addition to contract negotiations, she can tell us what he had for breakfast, what his favorite toy was as a boy and if he had a solid BM this morning.

Stop talking about the stupid Sabres in July! :blink:

Dungy mentioned that he was concerned about the loss of Edge and particularly Thornton.  What was interesting also was that they had a salary cap dispute with the league preventing them from signing Thornton and the league was wrong but it cost the colts Thorntons services. 

730953[/snapback]

Did he say anything about losing Tripplett?