The Near-Guaranteed Cuts You'll Miss

Of all the "bubble" players or surefires, who do you think we will miss as a team or you will miss for personal reasons?

Anyone who knows me here knows that I have worishipped Martin Nance since he was catching the long ball from Big Ben, so it should be evident that I convulsed with joy (and brain contusions) upon hearing we picked him up. He's huge, he has hands, and he can block. When another team picks him up and utilize the hell out of him, the Bills will be sorry, and I will be convulsing. Still. Should probly get that checked...

I dont think Davis makes it. Too many miniature horses in our stable of WR's and I dont think we need another one. Nance is a big body we need in the red zone. Plus I dont think Davis plays special teams.

Actually he does, at least as a returnman (don't know about coverage, a la a "gunner"), and he's 6'1". And Price is definitely safe.

The guys I see as locks are Evans, Price, Parrish, and Reed. That leaves at most 3 spots for Davis, Nance, Wilson, Aiken, Smith, and Denney. Suffice it to say that someone(s) good will be getting cut,

Actually he does, at least as a returnman (don't know about coverage, a la a "gunner"), and he's 6'1".  And Price is definitely safe.

The guys I see as locks are Evans, Price, Parrish, and Reed.  That leaves at most 3 spots for Davis, Nance, Wilson, Aiken, Smith, and Denney.  Suffice it to say that someone(s) good will be getting cut,

725672[/snapback]

I'm really not sure about Price being safe.

In this new era of Bills football, competition is everything, everybody can earn a job.

He would've been safe under the old era, but not anymore, IMO.

I'm really not sure about Price being safe.

In this new era of Bills football, competition is everything, everybody can earn a job.

He would've been safe under the old era, but not anymore, IMO.

725677[/snapback]

His contract says he's safe. Too much signing bonus money ($1.8M) tied up to bring him in here just to get cut in camp.

http://www.rotoworld.com/content/playerpag...guenum=&id=2173

His contract says he's safe.  Too much signing bonus money ($1.8M) tied up to bring him in here just to get cut in camp.

725772[/snapback]

It might not make any difference if we were to cut PP or JR or even someone with a much higher cap hit for us. I'm pretty sure we have loads of money under the cap & there are no FAs of any worth left for us to spend it on. Since we are obviously not front-loading re-worked contracts(ala Peters), we could probably afford to cut both without noticing.

Peerless Price is not getting cut, Chris Brown said as much recently in his blog. I'm hoping Jim Leonhard doesn't get cut but I could see why he might be expendable. He's an exciting player to watch and i'd miss him if he was gone (although he didn't play much)

It might not make any difference if we were to cut PP or JR or even someone with a much higher cap hit for us.  I'm pretty sure we have loads of money under the cap & there are no FAs of any worth left for us to spend it on.  Since we are obviously not front-loading re-worked contracts(ala Peters), we could probably afford to cut both without noticing.

725773[/snapback]

I doubt PP gets cut as since reports are that he still has his speed and he has vet experience, I think he stays even if he demonstrates he no longer can credibly be a #2 WR as his speed and experience would still allow him to take the field in 3WR sets as a #3. His speed and knowledge of routes would simply create a very bad situation for opposing DCs.

An opponent would need to choose whether he is going to put his fastest coverage guy on Evans or on Price. The one who doesn't get the fastest guy then will get to feast on lower skilled DBs.

IfPP is productive, opposing DCs would have little choice but to go to a zone in 3 WR sets and then an experienced player gets to feast on the seams.

Price has flat out proven he is no #1. From the Bills perspective if he proves to be a #2 who actually is even significantly less productive than he was as a #2 for (lets say 60-70 catches rather than 94) us in 2002 that works for us.

The good news is he can dtill provide the same coverage benefits for us if he only hals in 40 as a #3.

I am pretty sure he makes the team,

Of all the "bubble" players or surefires, who do you think we will miss as a team or you will miss for personal reasons?

Anyone who knows me here knows that I have worishipped Martin Nance since he was catching the long ball from Big Ben, so it should be evident that I convulsed with joy (and brain contusions) upon hearing we picked him up. He's huge, he has hands, and he can block. When another team picks him up and utilize the hell out of him, the Bills will be sorry, and I will be convulsing. Still. Should probly get that checked...

725654[/snapback]

I hope you won;t convulse if he is merely on the PS. He will need to be cut for a day to sign him there but please do not immediately panic if he is cut as I think this is likely the case for this rookie.

I take the question here to be "who are the tough cuts" and as others have noted, I believe the two positions where this will really apply are WR and S.

Last year the Bills kept 6 WRs; I think they'll do that again as long as at least three of them are regular ST contributors. Evans, Reed, and Parrish are safe. I add Price to the safe list because he's fighting for his NFL life and I think he'll respond. So, that leaves 2 slots -- and I predict they will go to Davis and either Aiken or Nance.

As for safety, I can't see them keeping more than 5 on the roster. If so, they will be Vincent, Whitner, Bowen, Simpson, and Baker. The "tough cuts" will be Coy Wire and Jim Leonhard. My rationale? Whitner/Simpson is the S combo of the future, while Vincent/Bowen are the veteran leaders and Baker provides quality depth.

Coy Wire is certainly a "fine young man" with great character, and that fact gives him the best opportunity to stay on the roster. You can't overlook production (or lack thereof) on the field, however.

TE is another interesting position. I predict Neufeld is the odd man out, leaving a trio of Royal, Everett, and Cieslak. That's a semi-tough cut.

Actually he does, at least as a returnman (don't know about coverage, a la a "gunner"), and he's 6'1".  And Price is definitely safe.

The guys I see as locks are Evans, Price, Parrish, and Reed.  That leaves at most 3 spots for Davis, Nance, Wilson, Aiken, Smith, and Denney.  Suffice it to say that someone(s) good will be getting cut,

725672[/snapback]

I don't think we will carry 7 WRs.....If so then we will have to sacrifice at the RB spot....

Peerless Price is not getting cut, Chris Brown said as much recently in his blog. I'm hoping Jim Leonhard doesn't get cut but I could see why he might be expendable. He's an exciting player to watch and i'd miss him if he was gone (although he didn't play much)

725782[/snapback]

May be he goes to the practice squad....Remember the NFL increased the PS size from 5 to 8 last year.

725672[/snapback]

Davis is barely 6 feet and we have Parrish and Mcgee as returners. Davis will not handle those duties.

His contract says he's safe.  Too much signing bonus money ($1.8M) tied up to bring him in here just to get cut in camp.

725772[/snapback]

No on'e contract says they are safe anymore. Look at the deal Price got dropped from in Atlanta. McNair would've got cut. Keyshawn, gone. Twice :lol: A one year cap hit would be worth it if Price sucks like he did since he left the Bills.

I think we'll sacrifice at the FB spot, by keeping one.

726128[/snapback]

Could be. I'd like to see them add another rb to the roster come game day who they would use on running plays - having just WMG and Williams makes me a bit nervous.

I'm still a bit surprised they didn't take a look at Cincy's Kenny Watson - savvy runner with very good hands. He was on the market for the taking, and re-signed at the vet minimum - had a forearm muscle tear last season.

Of course, he may still be hurt - dunno.

I'd like to see Gates get a lot of play in the pre-season games.