Is it hot where you are?

How easy do you think it is right now to get a journal paper through peer review right now that says "Gee, maybe CO2 isn't the end-all and be-all of global warming studies."

724380[/snapback]

I would hope very easy. I've always found that the one thing the science community is always willing to do is question itself. Maybe I'm wrong but theories in all aspects of science are always beign changed/questioned/ and improved. If that is not happening, then what is science?

Yes statistics can always be manipulated to say whatever anybody wants.

• Replies 98
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I would hope very easy. I've always found that the one thing the science community is always willing to do is question itself.

725029[/snapback]

Except that, as I've been pointing out, the science in this case has been corrupted by the policy-making process and special interests. If it were just science - a study on the mating habits of garden snails, say, or something else no one cared about - then you'd most certainly have a point. But history (and current events) show that mixing politics and science results in bad science.

I thought that it was global warming that caused all the hurricanes last year.

Heard today that a second named storm might be forming off NC. Last year at this time we had 5 named storms.

I thought that it was global warming that caused all the hurricanes last year.

Heard today that a second named storm might be forming off NC. Last year at this time we had 5 named storms.

725078[/snapback]

There's no connection between global warming and hurricanes.

There is, however, a connection between the Sabres new logo and tornadoes. Are we to believe that it was a coincidence that a tornado hit Cheektowaga the same day the Buffalo News put that abomination on their front page? I don't think the Banana Slug is worth getting hit with a tornado every other day.

Then again, if it helps us win the Cup.......

We've been cooking at 100 degrees plus for the last 3-4 days now...could be more or less...losing track. :D I went to the coast this weekend, and apparently so did all of Oregon, to cool off. It was packed down there but it had excellent weather.

3 Questions:

1. How long have "tree huggers" been saying global warming would become a problem?

2. Does anyone here remember it being this hot any year before last year?

3. Are these two things a coincidence?

727936[/snapback]

1) For about 20 years...since they stopped saying the ice age would be a problem.

2) Yes. 1998, and the mid-80s.

3 Questions:

1. How long have "tree huggers" been saying global warming would become a problem?

2. Does anyone here remember it being this hot any year before last year?

3. Are these two things a coincidence?

727936[/snapback]

HERE's a link to the 1975 newsweek article coming Iceage..

Along with all kinds of related link's..

Frrrrrreeedom Rock Maaaaan, You dig, give my 5 and stay alive and pass the grass so I can tune in and dropout and not worry about all this heavysh-- man :unsure:

http://www.wmconnelly.org.uk/sci/iceage/

Oh, I do believe it's worthwhile to have science keep seeking answers for global warming...Maybe someday this theory will prove true and we will be fugged....Or maybe not..

Except that, as I've been pointing out, the science in this case has been corrupted by the policy-making process and special interests.  If it were just science - a study on the mating habits of garden snails, say, or something else no one cared about - then you'd most certainly have a point.  But history (and current events) show that mixing politics and science results in bad science.

725041[/snapback]

Hey Crap thrower- yes stats can be manipulative but some are quite compelling.

Glacier National Park- 150 glaciers in 1850 to approximately 35 today.

Caps on Mount Kilimanjaro melting.

Permafrost in Alaska melting

http://www.arctic.noaa.gov/essay_romanovsky.html

From 3,000 years ago to the start of the 19th century sea level was almost constant, rising at 0.1 to 0.2 mm/yr; since 1900 the level has risen at 1 to 3 mm/yr

yada, yada. How are these stats manipulated?

Anyone that denies global warming is either a)in denial or b)extremely ignorant

Hey Crap thrower- yes stats can be manipulative but some are quite compelling.

Glacier National Park- 150 glaciers in 1850 to approximately 35 today.

Caps on Mount Kilimanjaro melting.

Permafrost in Alaska melting

http://www.arctic.noaa.gov/essay_romanovsky.html

From 3,000 years ago to the start of the 19th century sea level was almost constant, rising at 0.1 to 0.2 mm/yr; since 1900 the level has risen at 1 to 3 mm/yr

yada, yada.  How are these stats manipulated?

Anyone that denies global warming is either a)in denial or b)extremely ignorant

728241[/snapback]

They're manipulated very simply. Define a "normal" climate. It could very well be that sea levels over the past three thousand years were abnormally stable...or that glaciation over the past 150 years was abnormally high (given that the Little Ice Age ended about 180 years ago, I can make a very strong case for there being an abnormal number of glaciers in Glacier National Park in 1850).

It's very easy to say "the earth is warming". But that's not even remotely the same as saying "the earth is warming abnormally". While all the examples you quote promote the former, not one supports the latter.

And THAT'S manipulating statistics. Junk science.

last friday it was 118* here. Today was only 113-114*.

If the storm comes in from the South, we may cool down to 100*

Welcome to Phoenix. Anyone wanna play golf?

last friday it was 118* here. Today was only 113-114*.

If the storm comes in from the South, we may cool down to 100*

Welcome to Phoenix. Anyone wanna play golf?

728283[/snapback]

I think- Welcome to Phoenix. Anyone wanna get shot? Thats some crazy sh-- going on down there. I hope that mother!@#$er gets his

Arizona is awesome otherwise- beautiful state and rocking nightlife

I think- Welcome to Phoenix. Anyone wanna get shot?  Thats some crazy sh-- going on down there.  I hope that mother!@#$er gets his

Arizona is awesome otherwise- beautiful state and rocking nightlife

728289[/snapback]

Yeah, the police are not having much luck finding this guy. You know they are desperate when they are offering a $100,000 reward. That is the largest i have ever heard of from a local agency. There may have been bigger from a Fed. agency, but that is still alot of cash.... Now if I can just find the guy, without getting shot I mean...