so what's your house worth?

LevysEraII

Zillow.com is a great web site I just found out about. Just type in your address and walaa. Your house appears along with all of you neighbor's homes. It also shows the amount that homes were sold for in your area. Check it out.

722160[/snapback]

Mine does't even show up on the map! :w00t: Pretty interesting. How often is this website updated? My house was just built in March.

Zillow.com is a great web site I just found out about. Just type in your address and walaa. Your house appears along with all of you neighbor's homes. It also shows the amount that homes were sold for in your area. Check it out.

722160[/snapback]

I found it to be a horrible site. I'm very familiar with the market in my area. There have been 16 sales of homes comparable to mine in the past 3 years, including 4 this year, all within 3 blocks of my house, yet Zillow couldn't come up with a value and has my lot size as .08 acres instead of .28 acres. If they did so poorly in an area loaded with comparable sales, I can't imagine how bad they are in other areas.

Zillow is garbage.  Some houses don't even show up on the map.  Getting your genitals caught in your zipper is more entertaining.

722198[/snapback]

I've not heard it put that way before, I've just got to use that in tomorrow's weekly engineering meeting.

I found it to be a horrible site.  I'm very familiar with the market in my area.  There have been 16 sales of homes comparable to mine in the past 3 years, including 4 this year, all within 3 blocks of my house, yet Zillow couldn't come up with a value and has my lot size as .08 acres instead of .28 acres.  If they did so poorly in an area loaded with comparable sales, I can't imagine how bad they are in other areas.

722179[/snapback]

Not only is it accurate - but very representative of my neighborhood. Then again, we get a lot of activity in the area because of the many condos - but even the stand alone home prices are reasonablly accurate.

Maybe the broad data base of many sales helps their averaging. My immediate square mile probably sees 50+ sales per year.

And, no - to my knowledge - people are not moving because of me

(although there was that dead cat head thing :w00t: )

No data. My house was built in 75, neighborhood goes back to the 40's the area was first settled in 1652. And has been nominated as the best place to live in america twice by money magazine which I don't believe,, but no data on my shack, wish the property tax evaluater was like that.

I've not heard it put that way before, I've just got to use that in tomorrow's weekly engineering meeting.

722216[/snapback]

That used to be Hammer's "signature"

Something about Don Julio and zippers - sounds painful :o

Oh those engineers and their whacky sense of humor will get a kick out of that one.  :o

722219[/snapback]

My grandfather was a Civil Engineer for the State of New York - helped electrify the Adirondacks in the 30's and '40's - after he retired from the US Army.

He was percise, proper German in all respects (he fought in WW1 with Pershing) and as an engineer he was an exacting master - the simplest home repair became an excerise in percision.

But every once in a while - he'd let slip his version of humor into a situation

http://www.workjoke.com/projoke27.htm

The fourth joke down (about the telegraph) was one of his :doh:

I think the values they are showing for my neighborhood are low, but according to our mayor all of our homes are under-assessed.  Also my house was the last one on the street that was for sale, and we have been here 10 years.

722247[/snapback]

Since you live in NYS, I can tell you why your house and most houses in NYS SHOULD be under-assessed. The typical assessment in NYS is for a valuation date 1 year prior to the date of the final roll. For example, I live in Bethlehem, which just completed a reassessment. For the final roll, established as of July 1, 2006 the inventory date is 3/1/06 but the valuation date is July 1, 2005.

Therefore, if values have increased in the past year where you live, and you're supposedly assessed at 100%, in reality, you're assessed at less than 100%. Of course this assumes proper valuation. For example: Say your house was worth $180,000 on 7/1/05 and values have increased 10% in the past year. It's worth $198,000 today, but it should be assessed at $180,000. If not, it is overassessed.

The reason is that the assessor needs time to compile the data necessary for valuation. At some point the data on sales has to end. NYS has decided on 7/1 of the prior year for the valuation date. However, since it is this year's roll, if your house had major additions such as a new area that added to the square feet of living area (or on the other side, burned down), your assessment is based on the physical status as of March 1st, this year. I know it's weird, but that's the Real Property Tax Law.

EDIT: PS: It takes months for public records to catch up to sales. If any website is using public records (like from my agency's sales web) they won't be giving you current valuations. The reason that private appraisers and realtors can capture the market better than sources using government records is because most have access to Multiple Listing Service (MLS) which gives you the most up to date data. Recently, Albany County has put deeds on their website within days of closings, so a county may be current as well-but chances are pretty good that the assessor's office is, at best, a little behind the current market.

All it shows for me is assessed value of $114,500.

It also lists the width of my property as 75 feet. My yard is actually pie shaped: 75ft wide in the front, about 200 ft deep and almost 300 ft in the back.

The photo is pretty cool, showing the 16x32 ft in-ground pool and large yard.

Homes are selling for more than it shows in my area, but not a lot more.

Fricking NY state taxation!

The picture of my parents' house is about 5 years old. They had an extra room added on to the back of the house a few years back, but it's not there yet. I guess this should be expected when you're looking at pictures of a small town like Boston.