Wear your seat belts

LewPort71

Gotta go buy a new vehicle....

Mrs. Lew totaled the van Friday night...She is ok,,,seatbelts ,,airbag,,,Toyota safety engineering saved the day.....Now if she could have avoided the old fart who , from the RH lane on the Interstate, tried to turn LEFT into the median in an effort to turn around in the lil road marked for "Emergency Vehicles Only".....and Mrs. Lew then broadsided the guy going ~ 55 mph after a futile braking attempt....

plus the guy had no Insurance card,, the license plate did not match the registration number and the guy appeared not to be in good driving condition...Not drunk, but seemed 'challenged'...

We are gonna get screwed in this situation.

The van was a 1999 Sienna,,,just getting 'broken in', too...Only had 249,992 miles on it.....

Well, i don't think you're going to get screwed. I'm guessing you stated that because you don't have Collision? (because otherwise, you'd have no worries other than losing your deductible, when your insurance company tries to subrogate an old man with no money)...

Anyway, if you have UMPD (uninsured motorist property damage) on your policy (and I don't work with NY, I am an adjuster for NJ, CT, RI, NH and ME -- so i don't know if it's optional in NY), you will be fine. So long as your insurance company can show that the at fault party has no insurance, AND you have the man's info (I know that UMPD doesn't apply to hit and run cases in NY), you can trigger your UMPD.

Glad to hear the wife is OK... most important thing!

Mrs. Lew totaled the van Friday night...She is ok,,,seatbelts ,,airbag,,,Toyota safety engineering saved the day.....Now if she could have avoided the old fart who , from the RH lane on the Interstate, tried to turn LEFT into the median in an effort to turn around in the lil road marked for "Emergency Vehicles Only".....and Mrs. Lew then broadsided the guy going ~ 55 mph after a futile braking attempt....

plus the guy had no Insurance card,, the license plate did not match the registration number and the guy appeared not to be in good driving condition...Not drunk, but seemed 'challenged'...

We are gonna get screwed in this situation.

The van was a 1999 Sienna,,,just getting 'broken in', too...Only had 249,992 miles on it.....

720341[/snapback]

I am just happy to hear she is OK, you got your mileage out of that vehicle, are you staying with toyota?

I have the full insurance package so that'll be OK..But there might be a hassle because the other guy might not have it...Anyways,,we'll see how this process goes...

Mrs. Lew is OK and that is the key thing,,,She is sore today...

Next vehicle >>> Honda Fit ???

LOL

Probably a Toyota...We have had Camrys in the past and have been satisfied..

Next vehicle >>> Honda  Fit ???

LOL

Probably a Toyota...We have had Camrys in the past and have been satisfied..

720366[/snapback]

I'm glad the wife is OK.

I guarantee if you test drive the Fit (if you can find one because they sell out everywhere), you will buy it. :devil:

Glad she's ok!

Be glad you don't live in Minnesota, which is considered a "No-fault" state. Yes, someone can smash you from behind, cut in front of you to cause an accident, or any other number of things, and fault is broken down to 50/50. :devil: And you have to pay EXTRA money to the insurance companies for that lovely "feature."

That's one of the benefits to living in Wisconsin, but doing 99% of my driving in Minnesota. My wife was rear-ended three years ago and when the other company brought up no-fault, I told them that I didn't live in a no-fault state. They ended up paying the entire value of the totalled car -- although it sucked because we had to buy a new one (I don't like used cars...).

Again, glad she's ok.

CW

What, now you're trying to recruit?  Is this one of these deals where, if you sign up three guys to be gay, you get a free toaster?

720495[/snapback]

Well, I already gave them your name. I have two more to go. :devil:

Glad she's ok!

Be glad you don't live in Minnesota, which is considered a "No-fault" state.  Yes, someone can smash you from behind, cut in front of you to cause an accident, or any other number of things, and fault is broken down to 50/50.  :devil:  And you have to pay EXTRA money to the insurance companies for that lovely "feature."

720493[/snapback]

This is absolutly not the definition or meaning of a "no-fault" state. In fact, it is an overused term that refers to first party PIP/MedPay coverage. (meaning, regardless of who is at fault, you can use your medical coverage so you don't have to wait for the other company to accept liability). But, there is no state in the nation in which someone can TRULY rear-end someone else (meaning, we know that is what happened, or there is no dispute, or a police report confirms, or a witness saw it, or points of impact confirm it, or any number of things) where liability would be split 50/50. If that's what your agent and/or adjuster told you, you need to find a new agent and/or adjuster.

"No-Fault" acutaully refers to the actually PIP coverage, meaning the victim is paid by their own insurance company for thier injuries (and possibly loss of income).

Be glad you don't live in Minnesota, which is considered a "No-fault" state.  Yes, someone can smash you from behind, cut in front of you to cause an accident, or any other number of things, and fault is broken down to 50/50.  :devil:  And you have to pay EXTRA money to the insurance companies for that lovely "feature."

720493[/snapback]

As Stojan already pointed out, this is completely inaccurate. In addition, NY is a no-fault state.

If LewPort71 has UM coverage, he's fine -- that's the whole purpose of "uninsured" coverage. You're protecting yourself against the possibility that a jackass without insurance causes an accident.

If Mrs. Lew has any injuries whatsoever, I believe NY's insurance laws are such that her carrier will pay up to $50K in related medical expenses.

Glad she wasn't seriously hurt.

Thanks eball...Mrs. Lew is sore today...and missing her van...It was her 'baby'...

It was a great vehicle and now the search for the replacement begins...

What is amazing is that there was no glass breakage...and the front end is smushed like an accordian....

Mrs. Lew totaled the van Friday night...

720341[/snapback]

She is very fortunate...in any vehicle, a frontal 55 mph crash generally causes catastrophic deceleration forces regardless of vehicle construction.

Perhaps the mph was less - I would think the other fellow would have been thrust rightward to his demise.

As Stojan already pointed out, this is completely inaccurate.  In addition, NY is a no-fault state.

I don't know all of the ins and outs, but let's just say I've talked to numerous people who have been in accidents that weren't there fault, yet their insurance rates went up because of them. :doh:

CW

I don't know all of the ins and outs, but let's just say I've talked to numerous people who have been in accidents that weren't there fault, yet their insurance rates went up because of them. :doh:

CW

720679[/snapback]

I thought that happened to pretty much everyone.

I thought that happened to pretty much everyone.

720685[/snapback]

When we pushed back and forced the other guy's insurance company to pay the damages (with the help of our insurance company pushing them), our rates didn't go up at all and we still have our "safe driver" discount.

So I don't know, but things worked out well in our case.

CW

When we pushed back and forced the other guy's insurance company to pay the damages (with the help of our insurance company pushing them), our rates didn't go up at all and we still have our "safe driver" discount.

So I don't know, but things worked out well in our case.

CW

720696[/snapback]

Ditto here. They uninsured !@#$ who wrecked my car is paying my insurance company back (in cash, out of his own pocket), so my rates aren't increasing.