Sabres sign (Jaroslav) Sissy Spacek

Gotta say that after reading all the above, I love this move. And hearing that the Sabres were willing to match the offer to Grier (but that he left for SJ because of "family considerations, which I heard was a brother-in-law who lives in SF [lame!]), it pretty much ends the "Darcy/Golisano is cheap" mantra.

Peca anyone?

I loved "Coal Miner's Daughter" and wanted to see if the rumors were true.

718813[/snapback]

Her Loretta Lynn was great...but her Carrie is probably much more appropriate for a hockey reference. Damn that girl wears blood well...

Gotta say that after reading all the above, I love this move.  And hearing that the Sabres were willing to match the offer to Grier (but that he left for SJ because of "family considerations, which I heard was a brother-in-law who lives in SF [lame!]), it pretty much ends the "Darcy/Golisano is cheap" mantra.

Peca anyone?

718933[/snapback]

He's gonna find out just how much different $1.75 mill a year is in the Bay Area vs WNY. That's a decision he's gonna regret.

From the Spacek article PER ESPN:

The Sabres also learned Wednesday that assistant coach Scott Arniel was named head coach of the Manitoba Moose, the Vancouver Canucks' AHL affiliate. He played a key role on NHL coach of the year Lindy Ruff's staff last season, overseeing a power-play unit which converted 21 percent of its chances to finish third in the league.

This is what worries me more than anything.

This is a great move.  My only qualm with it is, why didn't Darcy pick him up last year when he could have been obtained from Chicago for a minor leaguer or at the deadline from Edmonton for Biron?

Oh well, water under the bridge.  It still is a very good pickup.

It looks like the Sabres will be expecting Kalinin to pick up the physical role on the D as there isn't a Jay McKee-type player in the Sabres top 6.  Of course, McKee was more about blocking shots and getting position on people this past season than laying guys out.  But it would still be nice to think that the Sabres had someone on the blueline who can and will play physical when necessary.

718771[/snapback]

How bout the fact that we felt pretty damn good about our defense at that point, and we had plenty of them? Who would you have sat at that point for Spacek? How would the team have felt if you did that? Could there have been some unrest or feelings of management not trusting the players who got them there? We have no idea what the feelings are in the locker room.

The timing wasn't right when he was available, and its unfortunate we had 4 guys injured in game 7, but its just that: 4 guys injured. They weren't injured at the deadline.

I'm really friggin happy, he's at least as good as the guy he's replacing, and possibly better. Plus, the Sabres beat out 8 other teams for him, even with the hideous new logo. :P

This is what worries me more than anything.

719035[/snapback]

Randy Cunneyworth could move up from RaChaCha. Or James Patrick could take the defense/PK and McCutcheon slide over to the offense/PP.

How bout the fact that we felt pretty damn good about our defense at that point, and we had plenty of them?  Who would you have sat at that point for Spacek?  How would the team have felt if you did that?  Could there have been some unrest or feelings of management not trusting the players who got them there?  We have no idea what the feelings are in the locker room.

The timing wasn't right when he was available, and its unfortunate we had 4 guys injured in game 7, but its just that: 4 guys injured.  They weren't injured at the deadline.

I'm really friggin happy, he's at least as good as the guy he's replacing, and possibly better.  Plus, the Sabres beat out 8 other teams for him, even with the hideous new logo.  :P

719118[/snapback]

I responded back to your similar questions over on TSR.

Edit:

This means our blue line corps thus far looks like this --

TOP 6:

Tallinder

Numminen

Kalinin

Lydman

Campbell

Spacek

-------------

BENCH/DEPTH

Paetsch

Jillson?

Janik? (UFA)

Fitzpatrick? (UFA)

My preference would be to see Paetsch and possibly Janik as our #7/8 guys, if they even keep 8 these days.  Let Rory try his wares elsewhere and let Jillson be the first callup hanging out with the Amerks.  I wouldn't at all mind if Paetsch plays his way into an everyday role, unlikely as it seems with what the others are getting paid.

718741[/snapback]

Cross Janik off your wish list...he signed with Tampa Bay today...does this make it more likely that Rory Storm stays with the organ-i-zation? :D

Cross Janik off your wish list...he signed with Tampa Bay today...does this make it more likely that Rory Storm stays with the organ-i-zation? ;)

719987[/snapback]

Rory sux, and should only be used int he event of an emergency. :D

Rory sux, and should only be used int he event of an emergency. :D

720013[/snapback]

Rory being used CONSTITUTES an emergency. ;) He does not belong on an NHL roster. Really.

What about Tom Poti? He's still available. Don't think he'd sign here to be a backup, though. I still see Paetsch at #7 and then not sure what happens with #8. I guess Jillson.

Rory being used CONSTITUTES an emergency.  :D  He does not belong on an NHL roster.  Really.

What about Tom Poti?  He's still available.  Don't think he'd sign here to be a backup, though.  I still see Paetsch at #7 and then not sure what happens with #8.  I guess Jillson.

720041[/snapback]

Haha true that.

Poti is good, but yeah, I think he can start somewhere.

Paetsch is a damn good #7, I think he can be a #6 very easily!