Sabres sign (Jaroslav) Sissy Spacek

I'm going to hijack this one and talk hockey. :lol: Looks like a good move on paper. Noticed that 21 of his 43 points last season came on the power play. Anyone watch him much last year? How will he fit in with the Sabres? Darin?

Edit:

This means our blue line corps thus far looks like this --

TOP 6:

Tallinder

Numminen

Kalinin

Lydman

Campbell

Spacek

-------------

BENCH/DEPTH

Paetsch

Jillson?

Janik? (UFA)

Fitzpatrick? (UFA)

My preference would be to see Paetsch and possibly Janik as our #7/8 guys, if they even keep 8 these days. Let Rory try his wares elsewhere and let Jillson be the first callup hanging out with the Amerks. I wouldn't at all mind if Paetsch plays his way into an everyday role, unlikely as it seems with what the others are getting paid.

I'm going to hijack this one and talk hockey.  :lol:  Looks like a good move on paper.  Noticed that 21 of his 43 points last season came on the power play.  Anyone watch him much last year?  How will he fit in with the Sabres?  Darin?

718741[/snapback]

Yeah don't get LABilzfan angry. He hates talking hockey on the Bills board...

Best response ever.

718738[/snapback]

It was hilarious, but there are certainly more appropriate threads. The one about hunters with small dicks from earlier today comes to mind.

I'm going to hijack this one and talk hockey.  :lol:  Looks like a good move on paper.  Noticed that 21 of his 43 points last season came on the power play.  Anyone watch him much last year?  How will he fit in with the Sabres?  Darin?

Edit:

This means our blue line corps thus far looks like this --

TOP 6:

Tallinder

Numminen

Kalinin

Lydman

Campbell

Spacek

-------------

BENCH/DEPTH

Paetsch

Jillson?

Janik? (UFA)

Fitzpatrick? (UFA)

My preference would be to see Paetsch and possibly Janik as our #7/8 guys, if they even keep 8 these days.  Let Rory try his wares elsewhere and let Jillson be the first callup hanging out with the Amerks.  I wouldn't at all mind if Paetsch plays his way into an everyday role, unlikely as it seems with what the others are getting paid.

718741[/snapback]

Talked to my friend who is an Oilers fan. He stated that we will be very happy with this signing! Way to go Darcy! You knew something had to be brewing.

Talked to my friend who is an Oilers fan.  He stated that we will be very happy with this signing!  Way to go Darcy!  You knew something had to be brewing.

718766[/snapback]

This is a great move. My only qualm with it is, why didn't Darcy pick him up last year when he could have been obtained from Chicago for a minor leaguer or at the deadline from Edmonton for Biron?

Oh well, water under the bridge. It still is a very good pickup.

It looks like the Sabres will be expecting Kalinin to pick up the physical role on the D as there isn't a Jay McKee-type player in the Sabres top 6. Of course, McKee was more about blocking shots and getting position on people this past season than laying guys out. But it would still be nice to think that the Sabres had someone on the blueline who can and will play physical when necessary.

Also, Spacek is a left-handed shot (same as McKee), so you figure that he will be paired with Numminen or Khalinin. Whoever Spacek is not paired with will be paired with Campbell.

This signing, coupled with the Numminen re-signing, makes me feel VERY GOOD about next year's team.

Also, Spacek is a left-handed shot (same as McKee), so you figure that he will be paired with Numminen or Khalinin.  Whoever Spacek is not paired with will be paired with Campbell.

This signing, coupled with the Numminen re-signing, makes me feel VERY GOOD about next year's team.

718775[/snapback]

He is a pleasure to watch on the powerplay.

Having a left-handed shot is a huge bonus.

Yeah don't get LABilzfan angry. He hates talking hockey on the Bills board...

718752[/snapback]

Correction: I hate seeing 190 hockey threads on a message board that has a special section for Football and a special section for politics and a special section for baseball. How retarded is the sport of hockey if the city of Buffalo has a team, and a Bills message board won't even create a special hockey section for it...BUT if you're a St. Louis Cardinals fan, you have your own special place to opine?

But I'm bitter, so you can't go by me.

Correction: I hate seeing 190 hockey threads on a message board that has a special section for Football and a special section for politics and a special section for baseball. How retarded is the sport of hockey if the city of Buffalo has a team, and a Bills message board won't even create a special hockey section for it...BUT if you're a St. Louis Cardinals fan, you have your own special place to opine?

But I'm bitter, so you can't go by me.

718785[/snapback]

What the hell are you doing here anyway? :lol:

Spacek is a complete, top 4 defensemen who is spectacularly solid. In the new NHL he is really the prototype. Not overly physical, but also not stupid. Great shot from the point and can really move the puck. One of the best passing defensemen in the game.

He's far more complete than Jay McKee and came at a cheaper price.

Damn, the Sabres are SO CHEAP!!!! :lol:

I like the team taking on this contract rather than the ones that would have kept Grier or McKee in town. Spacek for 3+ million is better than four years of McKee for $4M or three years of Grier at $1.8M.

Also shows the team *is* willing to spend money. I actually wasn't expecting them to sign anyone new after Numminen, but at least now we know they're in the game. I need to see multi-year (meaning more than 2) contracts for Briere and Tallinder and I'll be pretty damn happy.