Culpepper

well....I'm sure it had some effect, but not the sole reason for his terrible 1st 2 weeks of the 06 season.

"Culpepper had a very bad start to 2005. He had 8 picks in the first 2 games, but had 6 TDs and 4 INTs in the 4 games after that. He was playing for a new OC, with a new set of receivers and an OL that had lost its anchor, Pro Bowl center Matt Birk. The OL was really struggling -- he was sacked 31 times in just over 6 games. You can't disregard his career numbers based on 2 bad games at the start of the season. Even the best QBs will occasionally have a 3-4 INT game."

Granted how well he adjusts to his new offensive teammates will be a major factor in how well he performs.  My best case scenario is that Hudson Houck can figure out a way for Daunte to get some much needed pass protection.

717484[/snapback]

Didn't we sign the guy who took over at C?

:rolleyes::pirate:

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

717545[/snapback]

as much as culpepper was sacked it was mostly on his doing. I tend not to put sacks on scrambling qb's specfifically on the oline as in general scrambling qb's tend to get sacked more often then pocket qb's. I also think the vikings having no semblence of a running game contributes to high sack rates. I

Culpepper was sacked once every 7 pass attempts

Brad Johnson was sacked once every 13 pass attempts

The biggest thing I hope Losman learns is when to run and when to simply step to avoid pressure.

Fine, Culpepper not having Moss didn't contribute to Culpepper having a lousy year.  So what DID?

717480[/snapback]

I would say the biggest factor contributing to Dante's lousy season last year was the loss of Scott Linehan as his OC. They guy Tice promoted had no experience whatsoever as an OC. The OL didn't help, but the play calling before Dante went down was not good.

For people who roast Bledsoe's sacks and fumbles, you'd think you'd be able to do the same for Culpepper.  In 81 games, he has 81 fumbles and 36 lost, for an average of  1/game, and .444/game lost.  Bledsoe's average is only .638/game, and .298/game lost.

Top that off with the fact that the Vikes had a MUCH better OL than the Dolphins do, and I think you're looking at some bad play for the Phins.  I hope I'm right :rolleyes:

CW

717499[/snapback]

Culpepper is an elite QB. You don't put up 41 TD's unless you are really good, I don't care who's at WR. But the fumbling is a problem. He has small hands. Hopefully he fumbles a lot at the Ralph. I have high hopes for JP but I'd take Culpepper in a heartbeat over anyone we've got. Put him in a vertical passing game with deep threats on the outside and the points will come.

717545[/snapback]

Yep, gnenrally if you mean Fowler who we signed took over from Cort Withrow after the Vikes went 1-3 with Withrow at C. With Fowler in for the Vikes perfromance improved marginally until Culpepper was gurt and Johnson came in. The Viles peeled off a number of wins in a row.

The improvement is more attributable to better team play than Fowler in particular, but it is interesting the streak's end coincided with Fowler going out with a season ending injury.

A look at the details of the games and also of Fowler's appearances in two previous stops show him to be part of effective teams and running games when he is around.

I think this natural center (he played the position throughout college rather than being shoehorned into the slot as a Bill as Teague was) should be a clear upgrade over Teague. However, the questions are:

1. How will he be playing a full 16 at C which he has never done.

2. I think folks who view him as passed pver back-up have not followed or looked at his career (he caught my eye during the draft as I was hoping the Bills would take him). The Browns to the well-regarded Jeff Faine who started over him but this may have simply been a best available player pick from this team. For MB, he was signed as an FA, but they were clearly going back to mulyiple time Pro Bowker Birk when he was healthy enough to play. The question is whether he simply had the baad luck to end up on the same rosters as two very good Cs, or was there some real problem with his game that sent teams looking elsewhere.

He pretty clearly seems to be an upgrade for the Bills at C, who despite the badmouthing of many actually should start a better OL than last year unless someone wants to make the case for MW, Anderson and Teague.

Peters at RT, solid starter with Carolina Reyes at G and Fiwker at C chould all be better than MW, Amderson and Teague. The question is given that Preston is the likely back-up for the long in the tooth Villarial (or Fowler if he is not good or does not do 16) will we have adequate back-ups.

I won't lie, I believe that Culpepper is the best QB they have had since Marino, that is an easy statement to make. and he scares me, because while chambers might not have the size of a Randy Moss, he has all the other skills. i will make a prediction, Chambers will lead the league in Rec, Yards, and TDs. ronnie Brown is a good running back, and Booker, McMicheal and the other WR can take presure off of Chambers. bottom line, Miami is a much better team now on paper than last year. Culpepper is huge, he is bigger than all of the Miami LBs.

The only things we have going for us is MM, we will know every play prior to it being called. And they might have the worse OL in the afc east, I think on paper we have the 2nd best. The Jets have the future but they will struggle being the smallest OL in the NFL, and patrick Ramsey at QB.

Miami might win the division, I don't think the Pats have improved themselves, in fact i will say they took a step backwards, even if the lovefest continues in every major sports media.

Do any of you believe the fact that Daunte landed right where he wanted to go (back home to Florida) will have any effect on his play? I mean do you think his "mental" state and comfort level account for anything when the lights go on in an NFL game?

I think Daunte will want to show all the nay-sayers how good he can really be....I honestly think he will be playing with a chip on his shoulder when the season starts. Alot of recent reports have him ready for the start of camp and perhaps ready to go in week 1 against Pittsburgh at Ketchup field.

If the Saban ball washing is making you guys sick to your stomachs....pray that the Fins don't somehow pull off an upset at Pitt on the Thursday night season opener.....can you imagine if DC starts and they actually win that game? :o

If the Saban ball washing is making you guys sick to your stomachs....pray that the Fins don't somehow pull off an upset at Pitt on the Thursday night season opener.....can you imagine if DC starts and they actually win that game?   :o

717723[/snapback]

I'm sorry but I have to jump on the media-bashing bandwagon. It's incredible how the Dolphins went from supposedly the worst organization in the league last year (I never thought this BTW) to a top 10 upstart team on the same level as New England (I don't believe this either).

They had like one nice win in San Diego. And they were 1 play away from losing at home and getting swept by the JP/Bollinger led Bills/Jets. And then the game vs. the Patriots practice squad team. Give me a break already. Most overrated team in football, just like the good old days.

I would say the biggest factor contributing to Dante's lousy season last year was the loss of Scott Linehan as his OC.  They guy Tice promoted had no experience whatsoever as an OC.  The OL didn't help, but the play calling before Dante went down was not good.

717555[/snapback]

It was terrible. Too much forcing of the pass, even though the Minnie run game was decent.

Their game 2 shellacking by Cincy was idiotic. They were moving the ball well on the ground, but Tice & Co. insisted on passing when it was obvious to the even the guy scrubbing the toilets that Culpepper wasn't at all sharp that day - 5 picks.

Amazingly, Lovie Smith et al did the same the following game. The OL and runners slapped the poor Cincy DL middle around, but they somehow chose to have the thrown-to-the-wolves Orton pass - 5 picks. :o

I'm sorry but I have to jump on the media-bashing bandwagon.  It's incredible how the Dolphins went from supposedly the worst organization in the league last year (I never thought this BTW) to a top 10 upstart team on the same level as New England (I don't believe this either). 

They had like one nice win in San Diego.  And they were 1 play away from losing at home and getting swept by the JP/Bollinger led Bills/Jets.  And then the game vs. the Patriots practice squad team. Give me a break already.  Most overrated team in football, just like the good old days.

717740[/snapback]

Okay.....how convenient you leave out the fact that the Fins also were one play away from winning 3 other games during the year. But, you just prolly didn't know. Fins were close to winning in Buff....winning against the Pats (not practive squad) had 1st and goal inside 2 minutes in the home game....and without looking it up, one play away from beating the Falcons.

"Most overrated team in football".....so I have them finishing 2nd in the East and potentially a 9-10 win team this year....Am I overrating them?

Yeah....Randy Moss did wonders for Kerry Collins last year.  Take into account that Moss had an upper tier wideout partner in Joey Porter as well....

717471[/snapback]

Well, of course, anyone would struggle with a linebacker as their number 2 receiver. :o

Okay.....how convenient you leave out the fact that the Fins also were one play away from winning 3 other games during the year.  But, you just prolly didn't  know.  Fins were close to winning in Buff....winning against the Pats (not practive squad) had 1st and goal inside 2 minutes in the home game....and without looking it up, one play away from beating the Falcons.

I'm not "conveniently" witholding anything. Every team loses close games, but not every team comes that close to losing to horrible teams at home. It's not like any of those nailbiting losses were road games against good teams. I watched much of the Atlanta game - they were thoroughly outplayed as the yardage & ToP show, and they were a TD away from tying the game. It could've just've easily been a 14 pt game. And Atlanta was a mediocre team and it was at home. The first Pats game was a much bigger game for Miami than it was for NE, and they lost at home. The first Bills game - yeah they could've won that one if not for a slew of turnovers & penalties, but ya know....the Bills were a horrible team?

"Most overrated team in football".....so I have them finishing 2nd in the East and potentially a 9-10 win team this year....Am I overrating them?

717780[/snapback]

No I think that's a fair assessment...I also see about 9 wins looking at their schedule. I just don't think they're a top 10 team as most of the "experts" seem to be saying/writing.

If the Saban ball washing is making you guys sick to your stomachs....pray that the Fins don't somehow pull off an upset at Pitt on the Thursday night season opener.....can you imagine if DC starts and they actually win that game?  :o

717723[/snapback]

You forget. You're talking to a bunch of folks who watched their team beat the ever-lovin' crap out of NE in our opener a few seasons ago, only to watch us spend the next 17 games playing like we couldn't qualify for the Special Olympics. But that helps illustrate my point that the beauty of an opener like that, or like your pending opener vs. Pittsburgh, is simply that neither team has much footage to review and you stand as a good a chance to beat the SB champs than at any other time in the season, and that one AFC win can be the difference maker through the course of the season.

For people who roast Bledsoe's sacks and fumbles, you'd think you'd be able to do the same for Culpepper.  In 81 games, he has 81 fumbles and 36 lost, for an average of  1/game, and .444/game lost.  Bledsoe's average is only .638/game, and .298/game lost.

Top that off with the fact that the Vikes had a MUCH better OL than the Dolphins do, and I think you're looking at some bad play for the Phins.  I hope I'm right :)

CW

717499[/snapback]

Fezmid is on the right track here. Fumblepepper has always had a lot of turnovers especially in cold and wet weather. 86 INT's in 81 games(more INT's than games and fumbles). His hands are notoriously small by NFL standards. His worst games are in the cold, wet and especially both.

Look at the season stats for games outdoors in Green Bay and Chicago or just last half of season vs. first half of the season. He has 1 October win against Chicago(5-11 in 2000) and 1 September win in Green Bay(2003) or 1-5 at Chicago and 1-4 in Green Bay.

His record is 22-17 before November as a starter and after November 1 he is 17-25 as a starter. Note he missed the last 4 games after November 1 in 01 and all the games after November 1 last year. 39-42 overall as a starter.

He may look good til October but then does not do well(if he is even there).

December 17th game in Buffalo will be a bad one for him. Unfortunately the schedule really helps him out this year with only November games in Chicago and Kansas City.

Fumblepepper is not a QB to worry about.

717780[/snapback]

I don't know. They do have an upgrade at O-line with Big Bennie now as the anchor....and it's not like DC horrendously hurt the leg he scrambles on(he scrambles with the left one...or is it the right?).

Gee....when I think about it....I'd say you are underrating them. :doh:

His record is 22-17 before November as a starter and after November 1 he is 17-25 as a starter.  Note he missed the last 4 games after November 1 in 01 and all the games after November 1 last year.  39-42 overall as a starter. 

He may look good til October but then does not do well(if he is even there).

December 17th game in Buffalo will be a bad one for him.  Unfortunately the schedule really helps him out this year with only November games in Chicago and Kansas City.

Fumblepepper is not a QB to worry about.

718117[/snapback]

So he fits in really well with Miami, Starts out strong and then fizzle out late in the year.

I'm sure playing 8 games a year in a dome had no effect on his stats at all.

"So he fits in really well with Miami, Starts out strong and then fizzle out late in the year."

Yeah....those fish really fizzled out last year....only won the last 6 in a row...

And the schedule makers have been nice enough to give the fish only 1 cold weather game this year.... :doh: