SO many of these players are

LMFAO!!!

I love how the top four or five most annoying are all terrorists, and then the next name you see is.....Paris Hilton  :blush:  :lol:

714304[/snapback]

That list is hysterical! #36 Most annoying: Drew Rosenhaus; #37: Idi Amin

:lol:

Not that it is the only issue, but I believe steroids enter into the equation.

We DO need something to talk about.  :blush:

714189[/snapback]

Maybe they figure that since O.J. got away with slitting his wife's throat, they can get away with just slapping their wives around.

Pro football players are no different than the rest of society.  Whatever the percentage of players are wife beaters, you will probably find the same percentage in the general population in this country.  It's all about self control.

714235[/snapback]

I disagree. There are several ways they are different than the norm in society which may be relevant to this topic.

1. Wealth- Pro football players have large incomes and that can be a real factor in making it harder for a partner to break away from them if they are abusive:

A. Leaving them may save your life but it means getting rid also of a large income source. It doesn't (shouldn't in the view of many) make the difference but is a real factor.

B. A threat from them to make life difficult for the partner or any children needs to be taken more seriously when their is $ to buy lawyers to make this so.

2. Pro football training- The steroid/HGH issue fits in here, but even for the "clean" athlete they are trained to be aggressive and violent or they fail at the game. Some can turn this off when they leave the field, but certainly pro athletes hacve discussed that some of them have difficulty turning off this aggression at times and get used to getting strokes for solving problems through violent activity. This is different than the societal norm.

3. Pampering- Pro athletes often live a life of basic regimentation where even basic decisions are denied them and they are told when, where and what to eat at training tables. They are told when to sleep and exercise at camp when they have curfews. They are told what to wear and how to act as they represent the team.

Most athletes tend to overcome this regimentation and deal normally with people, however, even if athletes have the same tendency as normal society to engage in spousal abuse, there are a number of ways they are treated quite differently than normal folks which can result in this poor action.

Do you really believe pro football players are treated the same way as the rest of folks in society?

One example

Yet another example

The NFL is said to have a good testing policy as compared to other sports leagues. This may be true, but I strongly doubt that steroids are not widely used.

I don't particularly care mind you, but it would be really cool if these big, strong men would stop kicking their wives asses.

Any thoughts about the prevalence of steroids in the NFL?

We DO need something to talk about.  :blush:

714189[/snapback]

Come to Canton in August and we can celebrate Warren "wife beater" Moon But he could he could throw a pretty spiral

Pro football players are no different than the rest of society.  Whatever the percentage of players are wife beaters, you will probably find the same percentage in the general population in this country.  It's all about self control.

714235[/snapback]

pro football players are indeed different from the rest of society. in fact, i'd say the majority of them are borderline psychotic, which is what it takes to play that game. as i've said many times, for about 85% of the league's players, if not for the nfl, jail.

I think that it goes without saying that any man that would assault a woman is a low life and is not worth his weight in sh--.

714262[/snapback]

Amen! The same goes for adults who beat their kids. Same sh*t, different pile.

without condoning wife beating people here need to realise that domestic abuse is a two way street.

women play their part in domestic conflict in according to some people are the cause of more than half of domestic abuse.

aside from physical abuse mental and emotional abuse are common and damaging things in spousal relationships and will often cause more long term problems than assault.

saying that spousal abuse is only a matter of men hitting wives is a bit chauvanistic.

after a number of domestic events (and there always seems to be several) both spouses are making a decision to maintain the relationship.

One example

Yet another example

The NFL is said to have a good testing policy as compared to other sports leagues. This may be true, but I strongly doubt that steroids are not widely used.

I don't particularly care mind you, but it would be really cool if these big, strong men would stop kicking their wives asses.

Any thoughts about the prevalence of steroids in the NFL?

We DO need something to talk about.  :lol:

714189[/snapback]

In the NHL there were no steroids users found during recent testing. Although it certainly happened before, I can't remember the last time I heard about a NHL player abusing thier wife. And I follow the NHL pretty closely. Anyway, just saying. Something to consider and possibly a better comparison than comparing NFL players to the general population.