Bills make a signing today

http://www.buffalobills.com/news/news.jsp?news_id=3830

Apparently they decided to bring in a undrafted rookie punter from Kent State

Why? is all I have to say

We already have Moorman, the One Pro Bowler on the team last year. Does the kid really have a chance?

He is also 5-11 and says he is not very flexable, but believes that it helps him as he feels he has a quicker snap to his leg for kicks with not being so flexable.

He was also born with clubbed feet (where his feet were turned inward at birth). I had the same thing when i was born too, my feet actually are still kind of turned in from it. it makes for great bar tricks since I can still turn my feet all the way in and walk and run like that.

Dude, c'mon. He's not being signed to push or beat out Moorman. They need an extra leg in camp so Moorman's leg doesn't turn into a noodle by the end of August. There's plenty of special teams practice to be done that they need at least 2 punters in camp if not three.

Yeah....

Intersquad scrimmage. Need 2 punters. ST drills, need several punters... Moorman needs a rest, need another punter...lots of reasons for this.

This guy knows this. He isnt trying to make the roster. He IS trying to prove that he can play. He is trying to show other teams they should bring him in for a look. And frankly, no matter how good moorman is, a little competition should be welcomed for any player.

I had the same reaction. We already know Moorman is going to be the punter. Other teams may not know who their punters should be. Why should we help them uncover punting talent?

As for Moorman's leg needing a rest, it doesn't sound logical to me. Will there really be so many punting plays in practice that Moorman won't be able to handle them all? You'd think the special teams players would get tired a lot faster than Moorman's leg would.

As for Moorman's leg needing a rest, it doesn't sound logical to me. 

:P

Will there really be so many punting plays in practice that Moorman won't be able to handle them all?  You'd think the special teams players would get tired a lot faster than Moorman's leg would.

712046[/snapback]

:)

I had the same reaction. We already know Moorman is going to be the punter. Other teams may not know who their punters should be. Why should we help them uncover punting talent?

As for Moorman's leg needing a rest, it doesn't sound logical to me. Will there really be so many punting plays in practice that Moorman won't be able to handle them all? You'd think the special teams players would get tired a lot faster than Moorman's leg would.

Granted, to some extent, we are helping out other teams, but in the same respect, their potential castoffs will help us, too AND if we didn't have another punter, we'd just have another player anyway. Further, what if Moorman gets hurt (knock, knock)? It's certainly better to have 1st hand knowledge of his replacement.

As for endurance, way back in the day, my leg was good for 70-80 punts every other day w/ no ill effects. From what I understand, that's more than most punters do. I could easily see if they had a handful of potential returners and they wanted them to practice fielding actual punts rather than from the Juggs machine, you could easily exceed a punters endurance, let alone the fact that punters more likely want to work on their own thing at their own pace rather than be used to assist to the training and evaluation of potential returners.

As others have already mentioned, 90%+ of the reason this guy was signed is to prevent Moorman's leg from getting burned out in camp. For example, they might dedicate several hours of a practice to ST, where everyone other than QBs and a few others will be required to field and/or return punts. With 80 players in camp, that works out to 3-4 units of players doing each. If you only had one punter, just a few practices like that could burn out his leg. The -10% of the reason is to evaluate someone in camp just in case Moorman happens to get hurt.

If they haven't already done so, the Bills will also sign at PK for training camp for the same reasons.

It doesn't take all that much to burn out a kicking leg. Moorman kicked off his first season here, but had to drop those duties in subsequent seasons because his leg burned out toward the end of the season.

I had the same reaction.  We already know Moorman is going to be the punter.  Other teams may not know who their punters should be.  Why should we help them uncover punting talent? 

As for Moorman's leg needing a rest, it doesn't sound logical to me.  Will there really be so many punting plays in practice that Moorman won't be able to handle them all?  You'd think the special teams players would get tired a lot faster than Moorman's leg would.

712046[/snapback]

Remember Moormans first season here? He wasnt terribly good, because he had punted in NFL Europe, then all through training camp, and by the end of the season, he even said his leg was worn out. The next season, he didnt punt all that much and voila, we have a pro bowl punter.

This signing is so moorman doesnt get over worked.

Remember Moormans first season here? He wasnt terribly good, because he had punted in NFL Europe, then all through training camp, and by the end of the season, he even said his leg was worn out. The next season, he didnt punt all that much and voila, we have a pro bowl punter.

This signing is so moorman doesnt get over worked.

712093[/snapback]

Oh stop trying to make sense. He wants Moorman to have a noodle leg so Holcomb's noodle arm won't feel so lonely.

As for endurance, way back in the day, my leg was good for 70-80 punts every other day w/ no ill effects.  From what I understand, that's more than most punters do. 

It sounds like you've got a lot more personal experience with punting than me. I've noticed my shoulder starts to bother me if I throw the ball around too much, but I've never noticed anything wrong with my leg when I've punted repeatedly. But you, my friend, have apparently done a lot more punting repetitions in one session than I have; and your punts are probably a lot more consistent/better too. So I retract my earlier post, and defer to your opinion.

Intersquad scrimmage. Need 2 punters. ST drills, need several punters... Moorman needs a rest, need another punter...lots of reasons for this.

This guy knows this. He isnt trying to make the roster. He IS trying to prove that he can play. He is trying to show other teams they should bring him in for a look. And frankly, no matter how good moorman is, a little competition should be welcomed for any player.

We already have Moorman, the One Pro Bowler on the team last year. Does the kid really have a chance?

He is also 5-11 and says he is not very flexable, but believes that it helps him as he feels he has a quicker snap to his leg for kicks with not being so flexable.

He was also born with clubbed feet (where his feet were turned inward at birth). I had the same thing when i was born too, my feet actually are still kind of turned in from it. it makes for great bar tricks since I can still turn my feet all the way in and walk and run like that.

712030[/snapback]

Camp fodder. He is only here so Brian doesn't have to do anything that could injure him befoe the season starts. He's a proven PB. That is all.

I had the same reaction.  We already know Moorman is going to be the punter.  Other teams may not know who their punters should be.  Why should we help them uncover punting talent? 

As for Moorman's leg needing a rest, it doesn't sound logical to me.  Will there really be so many punting plays in practice that Moorman won't be able to handle them all?  You'd think the special teams players would get tired a lot faster than Moorman's leg would.

712046[/snapback]

Trade bait. Wow, you've never heard of this??? :P

712030[/snapback]

Maybe Moorman isn't a Marv kind of guy. It's more important to have Marv kind of guys who want to be here and will give 120% than talent.

It sounds like you've got a lot more personal experience with punting than me.  I've noticed my shoulder starts to bother me if I throw the ball around too much, but I've never noticed anything wrong with my leg when I've punted repeatedly.  But you, my friend, have apparently done a lot more punting repetitions in one session than I have; and your punts are probably a lot more consistent/better too.  So I retract my earlier post, and defer to your opinion.

712101[/snapback]

And it is because of this revelation, sir, that from this day forward you shall be known as Moorman's Leg....... :P

712030[/snapback]

OMG, they signed camp fodder. Get a grip! A team always goes into camp with extra bodies at every position. What if Moorman got hurt running for a touchdown? It's nice to have somebody else who's worked with your personnel. Don't worry your pretty little head. We're keeping Moorman.