NFL Films...

SDS

Is anyone else disappointed at the worthless films being produced by the NFL these days? Can someone tell me what is the point of of showing a shot so close that only a player's sphincter remains on the screen? It is all just a series of absurdly tight shots that give you no reference to what is happening and to make matters worse - they will pick one play and show it 5 times with 5 different horrible closeups.

They used to be the greatest films made (and arguably one of the reasons the NFL became so successful) - now they suck as bad as ESPN.

Is anyone else disappointed at the worthless films being produced by the NFL these days? Can someone tell me what is the point of of showing a shot so close that only a player's sphincter remains on the screen? It is all just a series of absurdly tight shots that give you no reference to what is happening and to make matters worse - they will pick one play and show it 5 times with 5 different horrible closeups.

They used to be the greatest films made (and arguably one of the reasons the NFL became so successful) - now they suck as bad as ESPN.

711730[/snapback]

my problem with them is that they don't show half the stuff that they should show on ESPN Classic or NFL Network. How about replaying some freaking 70-80's games in their entirety? Who wouldn't watch that???? Instead we get to watch recaps of games from last season and 1 hour Super Bowl pieces.

Next offseason the NFL network is will show classic games from the 70's and 80's etc.

But before we get that, this season NFL network will offer repeats of games from the week before. I've heard it will be 4 games each week.

Both are going to be the "NFL replay" version that was shown last year but was taken off the air this year. I don't know why that was done. I taped several of those games last offseason.

The NFL has also mentioned that they'll have "on demand" available.

I don't know if that means pay per view or something on the internet regarding classic games. They ran ads in Sports Illustrated about a partnership with IBM.

Next offseason the NFL network is will show classic games from the 70's and 80's etc.

But before we get that, this season NFL network will offer repeats of games from the week before. I've heard it will be 4 games each week.

Both are going to be the "NFL replay" version that was shown last year but was taken off the air this year. I don't know why that was done. I taped several of those games last offseason.

I don't know if that means pay per view or something on the internet regarding classic games. They ran ads in Sports Illustrated about a partnership with IBM.

711812[/snapback]

I hadn't heard that. Thanks! I look forward to seeing some good classic games!

do you have any links to any of these reports?

711812[/snapback]

Last year they had "On Demand" for the weekend games starting Tuesday. It wasn't much. They would show the scoring drives, turnovers and other big plays back-to-back and the whole thing would take about 10 minutes. It wasn't great, but you could wallow in a few nice plays while waiting for the ax to drop on TD & MM.

June 19, 2006:

The NFL network announced the completion of 75 affiliation agreements with cable companies to cary the 24-hour year-round football channel from the NFL.

All deals are for the "expanded basic" level of service, meaning the most broadly distributed package the video provider offers.

Cable operators are signing up at a torrid pace since the NFL network became the exclusive home to the new primetime regular season NFL games package and announced that Bryant Gumbel and Chris Collinsworth would be the NFL networks primary broadcast team.

NFL network will televise 168 football games in 2006, including preseason, regular season, game re-airs, NFL Europe, the Insight Bowl and Senior Bowl in addition to the most robust and popular sports video-on-demand content in the Industry.

NFL network plans 2000 hours of original programming in the coming year, including 52 preseason games, 75 game re-airs, eight primetime games, plus the expansion of programming including a half dozen new series in the fall.

June 19, 2006:

The NFL network announced the completion of 75 affiliation agreements with cable companies to cary the 24-hour year-round football channel from the NFL.

All deals are for the "expanded basic" level of service, meaning the most broadly distributed package the video provider offers.

Cable operators are signing up at a torrid pace since the NFL network became the exclusive home to the new primetime regular season NFL games package and announced that Bryant Gumbel and Chris Collinsworth would be the NFL networks primary broadcast team.

NFL network will televise 168 football games in 2006, including preseason, regular season, game re-airs, NFL Europe, the Insight Bowl and Senior Bowl in addition to the most robust and popular sports video-on-demand content in the Industry.

NFL network plans 2000 hours of original programming in the coming year, including 52 preseason games, 75 game re-airs, eight primetime games, plus the expansion of programming including a half dozen new series in the fall.

711979[/snapback]

Does this mean I'm getting the fuggin channel back finally?????

my problem with them is that they don't show half the stuff that they should show on ESPN Classic or NFL Network. How about replaying some freaking 70-80's games in their entirety? Who wouldn't watch that???? Instead we get to watch recaps of games from last season and 1 hour Super Bowl pieces.

711738[/snapback]

They can't show these games in their entirety because they don't own the rights. NFL Films didn't get the rights to the broadcast versions of games until the late 80's. The networks own all of that footage.

711730[/snapback]

Just curious, which shows or films are you talking about specifically?

June 19, 2006:

711979[/snapback]

I want to know if one of those 75 is Time Warner.

Is anyone else disappointed at the worthless films being produced by the NFL these days? Can someone tell me what is the point of of showing a shot so close that only a player's sphincter remains on the screen? It is all just a series of absurdly tight shots that give you no reference to what is happening

711730[/snapback]

Told you this would happen as soon as Hariet took over production duties for NFL Films. Woman has a butt obsession.

They can't show these games in their entirety because they don't own the rights. NFL Films didn't get the rights to the broadcast versions of games until the late 80's. The networks own all of that footage.

712041[/snapback]

interesting. thanks for the info.

either way, what are the networks doing with these gems????? it's bizarre to me that they wouldn't try to get some ratings and reair some of these games duringthe offseason....or, heaven forbid, sell them to the public (DVD, PPV, OD, etc). They are just sitting there. I mean, pro football is America's #1 sport, and it's fans are obsessed with the game.

I guess it would come down to the advertisements used during the actual airings....not commercials that could get cut-out, but various signage and banners that are part of the stadiums and film footage.

It always come down to the bottom line

$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$

interesting. thanks for the info.

either way, what are the networks doing with these gems????? it's bizarre to me that they wouldn't try to get some ratings and reair some of these games duringthe offseason....or, heaven forbid, sell them to the public (DVD, PPV, OD, etc). They are just sitting there. I mean, pro football is America's #1 sport, and it's fans are obsessed with the game.

I guess it would come down to the advertisements used during the actual airings....not commercials that could get cut-out, but various signage and banners that are part of the stadiums and film footage.

It always come down to the bottom line

$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$

712284[/snapback]

And maybe the teams also would want a cut.

711738[/snapback]

Completely agree. They do like the same 5 games over and over again: Cowboys-9ers "the catch", Broncos-Browns "the drive" and "the fumble", Cowboys-Packers Ice Bowl, Dolphins-Chargers Winslow game, maybe like 2 others.

WTF - what about some of the Raiders-Steelers games, or the Raiders-Dolphins game, or some of the Vikings playoff games in the 70's...how did they get to all those SB's? I have no idea cause they only do the freaking SB games. Didn't the Cowboys & 9ers play some good games in the 70's as well? How about a Bills game from the '90's other than Houston or one of the Miami games other than the one lame ass '98 game? Chargers-Dolphins in '94 was an awesome game, never seen any footage of that. That's it I'm sending a cover letter to Steve Sabol.

I think it was summed up best by an autograph Steve Sabol got when he was a teen. (And this was straight from the horse's mouth when "60 Minutes" did a profile on NFL Films last year). To wit:

To Steve, a schmuck if I ever met one,                                                                               

Vince Lombardi

;)