ganesh

I am bored of the McGahee, Nance and JP topics...Let us start a new thread

about the defense.

How does our current DE players (Kelsay, SChoebel, and Denney) fit into

the new scheme. Are they going to be marquee players in this scheme brought

in by Fewell ? Do these guys have the right speed to penetrate the OL. How

did they work out during the OTA

Your thoughts....

If we can get the up the middle rush going you will see these ends become very productive.

708874[/snapback]

Yes, plus it's a contract year for Kelsay, I'm hoping to see a big improvement in his play... again. Schobel's a gamer, he'll be fine.

If we can get the up the middle rush going you will see these ends become very productive.

708874[/snapback]

But how good are they going to be against the Run, considering we will have

undersized DTs manning the middle.

708936[/snapback]

That is likely to be a concern area, but you can't fix everything in one offseason.

708936[/snapback]

All of the DT's we currently have on our roster have been good against the run......especially our draftees......

The thing is...its a new defensive system. We are going to be good against the run by using quickness to play on the other side of the LOS.....disrupting things....

Our linebackers will be cleaning it up

All of the DT's we currently have on our roster have been good against the run......especially our draftees......

The thing is...its a new defensive system.  We are going to be good against the run by using quickness to play on the other side of the LOS.....disrupting things....

709034[/snapback]

I agree with you . In this system the linebackers ( a strength of the Bills) play a big part in shutting down the run, along with the safeties (the reason they drafted Whittner).

The thing is...its a new defensive system.  We are going to be good against the run by using quickness to play on the other side of the LOS.....disrupting things....

709034[/snapback]

I am not asking how good the DTs are going to be against the Run. My

question was how good our DEs are going to be against the run.

709034[/snapback]

Not that I really know what I'm talking about, but the Tampa 2 system that Jauron and Fewell want to run is a one gap system on the defensive line. At least what I understand about the system is that rather than taking on offensive linemen head on, the tackles line up on the gaps between the offensive linemen. Then they try to penetrate the gap befor the offensive linemen have a chance to react. That's why quickness is at much more of a premium than brute strength. In a two gap system the tackles are more likely to line up directly across from an interior offensive lineman, then it becomes a contest to fine out which player canout-wrestle the other one. Strength and size are more important. I just read an article that suggested Tim Anderson really came on in the last two games of the season last year. Maybe he's going to be OK along with Tripplett and the rookies.

Then they try to penetrate the gap befor the offensive linemen have a chance to react.  That's why quickness is at much more of a premium than brute strength. 

709301[/snapback]

Going back to the original question....Are Kelsay/Scheobel and Denney quick

enough to get that penetration....Are they speed rushers....I don't think so...

that is a big concern in this scheme....We might need a Kearse type of player

at the DE position to succeed in this scheme....

709431[/snapback]

I think Schobel will be fine. Kelsay and Denney are question marks at this point. I'd rather have someone who was dominant at the position, but we have who we have. Who knows, they might be fine.

709431[/snapback]

The original question will only be answered by talking about all of the lineman. Schobel and Kelsay are the same two players they were last year.

I am bored of the McGahee, Nance and JP topics...Let us start a new thread

about the defense.

Fair enough. If Losman starts, the defense had better be able to keep the other team from scoring more than ten points. That's the only way the Bills will have a hope of winning! :P

To get back to your original point, no defensive scheme can turn coal into diamonds. If we get more production out of Kelsay/Denny, it will mostly because the players themselves have improved, and not because of the defensive scheme.

I think Kelsay showed enough flashes that this could be a breakout year for him...All Pro..no.But i think he will be a more than serviceable player for us for a few years to come.Denney..ehhh.He hasnt shown me enough to think he is starter material..i could see him being pushed out the door very soon.

I think Kelsay showed enough flashes that this could be a breakout year for him...All Pro..no.But i think he will be a more than serviceable player for us for a few years to come.Denney..ehhh.He hasnt shown me enough to think he is starter material..i could see him being pushed out the door very soon.

710797[/snapback]

Actually Kelsay disappointed last year....He had a excellent late season in 2004, raising expectations.....and he came falling down in a hurry....In fact last year

Denney probably outplayed him quite a bit.

To get back to your original point, no defensive scheme can turn coal into diamonds.  If we get more production out of Kelsay/Denny, it will mostly because the players themselves have improved, and not because of the defensive scheme.

710785[/snapback]

Maybe not to the extent of coal to diamonds, but a new scheme may poor to mediocre players into servicable to good players.

For example, put Kelly Holcomb into an offensive scheme that involves alot of deep downfield passes (like a St. louis offence) and he would look horrible. Put him in an offence where the deepest pass is no longer then 10 yards and he may become a pro bowler! :huh: