SURVIVOR: Bills Edition (Day 19)

Who would you vote off of Bills Island?  

135 members have voted

1. 1. Who would you vote off of Bills Island?

• Thurman Thomas
    • Jim Kelly

Marv, had you led the Bills to a championship as you did the Montreal Alouettes, things may have been different for you!

So it has come down to Thurman and Jim.

Voting ends at 12:00 MONDAY. (not that i don't think this will be decided within the first hour)

Day 18 Results:

Marv Levy [ 41 ] [44.09%] BOOTED!!

Thurman Thomas [ 32 ] [34.41%]

Jim Kelly [ 20 ] [21.51%]

Prevously Voted Off:

Day 1 Fred Smerlas

Day 2 O.J. Simpson

Day 3 Jim Hasslett

Day 4 Steve Freeman

Day 5 Eric Moulds

Day 6 Lou Saban

Day 7 Cookie Gilchrist

Day 8 Bob Chandler

Day 9 Tom Sestak

Day 10 Joe Ferguson

Day 11 Jim Ritcher

Day 12 Jack Kemp

Day 13 Andre Reed

Day 14 Billy Shaw

Day 15 Joe DeLamielleure

Day 16 Bruce Smith

Day 17 Ralph Wilson

Day 18 Marv Levy

1 Owner:  Ralph Wilson Jr.

2 Head Coaches:  Lou Saban, Marv Levy

4 Players from the 60's:  Cookie Gilchrist, Tom Sestak, Jack Kemp, Billy Shaw

4 Players from the 70's:  O.J. Simpson, Bob Chandler, Joe Ferguson, Joe D.

4 Players from the 80's:  Fred Smerlas, Jim Haslett, Steve Freeman, Jim Ritcher

4 Players from the 90's:  Andre Reed, Bruce Smith, Jim Kelly, Thurman Thomas

1 Player from the 21st Century:  Eric Moulds

These would be more interesting if OJ hadn't killed a couple of people.  I wonder if he'd come out on top or if the youngling would vote him.

705988[/snapback]

OJ killed a couple of people? Where did you hear that??

Love 'em both, but it has to be Jim Kelly.

Thurman, OJ or Bruce Smith may rank higher at his respective positions all time (and I say may), but Buffalo Bills wise, Jim Kelly is the all-time Buffalo Bill. Not so much for what he did on the field (not taking away from that at all, because it was awesome), but for what he did for our favorite franchise off the field.

I get a chuckle when I hear about how Doug Flutie "saved the Bills". It was Kelly who saved the Bills. Some here may be too young to remember, or just have selective memory, but the Bills were a disgraceful franchise prior to Jim Kelly coming to Buffalo. What we saw under Tom Donohoe was a golden-era in comparison to the mid-80's Bills, not to mention most of the decade of the 1970's, and about half of the 1960's.

Most of the success the Bills had up to that point, was short circuted by the owner. When he lucked into a good thing, he quickly dashed it, as to save a buck, and keep expectations lowered.

With Kelly though, it was different. Jimbo embarassed Ralph Wilson, his franchise, and the city of Buffalo, by snubbing them, to play in the lowly USFL. This punk kid was critical of the way the Bills handled business, and of Wilson's committment toward building a winner. I think Kelly's rejection, and challange, got under Wilson's skin so much, he started to act like an owner who really wanted to win, almost as much as make money.

Jim Kellys' arrogance, for which I am forever grateful, was responsible for the goldenest of era's for Buffalo Bills football, in my cognisent Bills fan life (I was born in 1965!). I know those ambers seem to be fading, but that makes me all the more confiedent that Jim Kelly is far and away, the greatest, and most important Buffalo Bill in team history. He gave the Bills a decades worth of credibilty, something no other player has ever been able to do for this franchise. The fact that he could play a little only adds to the legend!

Kelly is every bit as important to the Bills legacy, as Brett Favre is to the Packers...he is to Buffalo Bills football, what Jim Brown is to the Clevland Browns, or Johnny Unitas was to the Colts. He had lots of talented teammates...but I am almost sure that they reached the heights that they did, in large part, because of him...

I have been to a lot of Bills games (about 120 or so) over the years, and seen a lot of great games, and many awful ones. The all-time greatest moment I ever experienced, at any Bills game, however, was the 1986 season opener, against the Jets. When Jim Kelly was introduced as the Buffalo Bills starting QB, Rich Stadium shook like I had never felt before, or since. It was the rare time when a players' "swagger" (as Kelly was known to possess) seemed to find its' way into the veins of the crowd at Rich.

Sure, the Bills lost another game that day, but there was no doubt, the Buffalo Bills had a real QB who was going to be very special...it was evident that quickly, from day one! The winning took a few seasons to come, but everything about that franchise improved dramatically from that day on.

Crud, I am getting all choked up writing this... :lol:

Love 'em both, but it has to be Jim Kelly.....

........Sure, the Bills lost another game that day, but there was no doubt, the Buffalo Bills had a real QB who was going to be very special...it was evident that quickly, from day one!  The winning took a few seasons to come, but everything about that franchise improved dramatically from that day on. 

Crud, I am getting all choked up writing this... :lol:

706143[/snapback]

Thanks for all that Buftex.

You've enlightened me into a piece of Bills history that others only intimated at.

..& thanks OnTheRocks.

Bills Survivor has been a very entertaining diversion.

;)

Thurman I voted you off, not because you fumbled the ball away in consecutive drives in SB XXVIII...but because you sulked on the bench for the next drive afterward.  You could see the team deflate when you did that.

You gave me a lot of good memories, Thurman...but I'll never forgive you for that.

706157[/snapback]

Let me first start off with the premise that both Thurman and Jimbo are two HOFers and 2 of the greatest players in our franchise's history. It would be wrong to discount any of the amazing things they have done for this team.

That said, I believe Thurman was the main person (besides our outstanding line) that really made our offense go. Teams gameplanned to stop TT. He is arguably one of the best all-around backs in NFL history. He could do everything. And while it is true, he came up with costly errors in a few Super Bowls, he almost single-handely (again a nod to our line) won us Super Bowl 25. He was the MVP of that game, and perhaps if he was given more opportunity to run against the Giants 2 down linemen front, we may have easily won (ala Marshall Faulk against the Pats).

Jim Kelly was recognized for his legendary toughness and control of the no-huddle. However, how many games did TT ever miss as a running back? Additionally, Kelly was one of the main causes of the Bickering Bills. He called out teammates like Andre Reed and Howard Ballard in the press. While some may argue that that is being a leader, I'm sure many of his teammates didn't appreciate this. Additionally while TT definitely had some problems in Super Bowls, can anyone honestly say Kelly didn't play horrible in the big games? Kelly eventually became a great leader and obviosuly is a HOF and our best QB ever. But playing the replacement game (take a player out and put his backup in), I honestly believe Frank Reich could have filled in more a lot more capably for Kelly than Kenny Davis could for Thurman over the long term.

Again, please don't take this as me bashing Jimbo. God knows how important he was. But TT is one of the best in history at his position. But this team could win without Kelly playing his best or even playing at all. TT was irreplacement. Anyways, that's just my two cents. And please keep in mind that I'm an idiot. ;)