*World Cup Game Thread*

ajzepp

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm really getting fed up with the referees, too....Is it just the FIFA refs, or are the National leagues the same way? I don't remember seeing this many cards when I watched the Premier League and some of the German League games.

I'm really getting fed up with the referees, too....Is it just the FIFA refs, or are the National leagues the same way? I don't remember seeing this many cards when I watched the Premier League and some of the German League games.

713957[/snapback]

They are trying to make it more attacking. The way to do that is to make sure there is plenty of fouls for people playing too physical.

I watched the game. The ref lost control of it. Not entirely his fault though. The players were complete jackasses.

What do 16 yellow cards, 4 red cards, and several fights have in common?  They make a great great soccer game!

714012[/snapback]

I would agree except for the fact that it screws up the next game. Now the England/Portugal match won't be quite as intense, IMO.

I would agree except for the fact that it screws up the next game. Now the England/Portugal match won't be quite as intense, IMO.

714013[/snapback]

Screw em both 0:)

I'm scared for the game tomorrow :lol:

Actually it's today.

FORZA AZZURRI

Screw em both 0:)

I'm scared for the game tomorrow :lol:

Actually it's today.

FORZA AZZURRI

714014[/snapback]

I think you guys will be okay today.....I'd be shocked if the Aussies take you out.

I think you guys will be okay today.....I'd be shocked if the Aussies take you out.

714015[/snapback]

1) Italy often plays down to their opponents when over confident (see USA)

2) Totti is not in great form so he won't run yet he is starting as a midfielder.

3) Gus Hiddink is a great coach.

He won a champions league against AC Milan in 88 with PSV Eindoven (weaker club)

He also orchestrated a win with Korea vs Italy in 2002 which was embarrassing and at the same level of competition.

4) Nesta is not there, and his replacement (Materazzi) often makes mistakes and gives up penalty shots.

5) I'm paranoid everytime Italy play

6) I won't be undergoing the usual ritual.

1)  Italy often plays down to their opponents when over confident (see USA)

2) Totti is not in great form so he won't run yet he is starting as a midfielder.

3) Gus Hiddink is a great coach.

He won a champions league against AC Milan in 88 with PSV Eindoven (weaker club)

He also orchestrated a win with Korea vs Italy in 2002 which was embarrassing and at the same level of competition.

4) Nesta is not there, and his replacement (Materazzi) often makes mistakes and gives up penalty shots.

5) I'm paranoid everytime Italy play

6) I won't be undergoing the usual ritual.

714016[/snapback]

Italy = 3 World Cups....Aussies = zippo

Italy = 3 World Cups....Aussies = zippo

714017[/snapback]

in 1934 we won the world cup

in 1938 we won, but the WC was being played in Italy

The leadership in italy was mussolini

rumours have it that mussolini threatened to kill the refs

rumour also has it that the winning goal of the final was a handball

in 1982, it was legit... i think 0:)

in 1934 we won the world cup

in 1938 we won, but the WC was being played in Italy

The leadership in italy was mussolini

rumours have it that mussolini threatened to kill the refs

rumour also has it that the winning goal of the final was a handball

in 1982, it was legit... i think  :lol:

714018[/snapback]

Okay, fug it....you're gonna lose 0:)

714013[/snapback]

No Deco, no Costinha, probably no Ronaldo (injured) and quite possibly no Figo (that headbutt and theatrics could get him suspended yet).

England slowly improving (but still weighed down by some stupifying tactics).

Heh, I can still dream of a semi-final, especially as a full strength Portugaul have had a couple of difficult, close games versus Enbgland in recent years.......

The game against Ecuador was the best for England so far (not saying a lot, though) - they did not go into their shell for any of the game, pretty much closed down the Ecuadorian attack to long range shots, and were not QUITE as awful on set pieces (although the why they have 11 in the box at corners, etc is beyond me and drives me to distraction). Not a pretty game, for certain, Beckham without Neville at right back is not very good at all, but Rooney and A. Cole seem to be playing into some form after their comebacks from injury, and Carrick had a good game. Now if Lampard could rediscover his shooting boots......

No Deco, no Costinha, probably no Ronaldo (injured) and quite possibly no Figo (that headbutt and theatrics could get him suspended yet).

Heh, I can still dream of a semi-final, especially as a full strength Portugaul have had a couple of difficult, close games versus Enbgland in recent years.......

The game against Ecuador was the best for England so far (not saying a lot, though) - they did not go into their shell for any of the game, pretty much closed down the Ecuadorian attack to long range shots, and were not QUITE as awful on set pieces (although the why they have 11 in the box at corners, etc is beyond me and drives me to distraction). Not a pretty game, for certain, Beckham without Neville at right back is not very good at all, but Rooney and A. Cole seem to be playing into some form after their comebacks from injury, and Carrick had a good game. Now if Lampard could rediscover his shooting boots......

714022[/snapback]

Yep, I thought Rooney looked a bit more lively today, too. I'm really hoping that the match is entertaining, cause I enjoy watching England and I have been REALLY impressed with Portugal at times this tourney. When they are playing well, they are sharp. I think losing Figo would be huge, cause he's been playing quite well. C. Ronaldo is a whiner, but he's talented as hell from what I've seen. I hope he's back.

714022[/snapback]

GO ENGLAND!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

From what I have seen, they stand a good chance of beating Portugal!

Argentina however is tough, and Brazil always looks faster thatn any other team.

Either way, I hope that England kicks ass!!!!!!!

What do 16 yellow cards, 4 red cards, and several fights have in common?  They make a great great soccer game!

714012[/snapback]

Ugh,,,That match was terrible,,,,and the ref lost control...The language issue HAS to be a factor...I have refereed for several years now and I always talk to the players to calm them down,,,,The parents are another matter :: ugh ::

I have not given out that many cards in my refereeing career...

Although I have tossed spectators and assistant coaches...

Figo's headbutting and theatrics deserve the RED card....

Meazza must be crapping his paints right now....crazy Aussies are even bringing out the bicycle kicks! :blush:

omg....Italy goes for the dive inside the box and gets the PK.... :blush:

The Aussies deserved better.....

that ending sucks.  Aussie totally outplayed those divers!

714108[/snapback]

I would have died if the keeper saved that PK.....that would have been awesome. He had the right direction, but Totti's shot was pretty much perfect.

I would have died if the keeper saved that PK.....that would have been awesome. He had the right direction, but Totti's shot was pretty much perfect.

714111[/snapback]

no chance for the goaltender on that one. I was so looking forward to a 15 minute OT

no chance for the goaltender on that one.  I was so looking forward to a 15 minute OT

714113[/snapback]

Me too....I didn't see the first half, so I was hoping this would have gone a bit longer. Oh well..... Dang, there's only lke 10 or 11 matches left.....I'm going to go through some serious withdrawal pretty soon, lol.

Another blown call?

714115[/snapback]

They're saying the Aussie defender should have stayed on his feet, and that it wasn't the refs fault, so I dunno....But on the replay you could clearly see that it was a dive, so in my mind it's a sh------- way to get the win.

Me too....I didn't see the first half, so I was hoping this would have gone a bit longer. Oh well.....  Dang, there's only lke 10 or 11 matches left.....I'm going to go through some serious withdrawal pretty soon, lol.

714116[/snapback]

I hear you. One more match today- Ukraine-Switzerland should be good. Shevchenko is one of the top players in the world and is fun to watch

OMG, 24 pages for this thread?  There are American citizens who actually care about this?

714118[/snapback]

evidently and there are plenty of American citizens who dont like soccer that cannot resist but post in this thread

OMG, 24 pages for this thread?  There are American citizens who actually care about this?

714118[/snapback]

You're kinda late to the party....the haters have already come and gone.

I hear you.  One more match today- Ukraine-Switzerland should be good.  Shevchenko is one of the top players in the world and is fun to watch

714119[/snapback]

That guy was like a one-man show last match....I hope he lights it up again today

I don't understand why soccer players feel they need to disgrace their sport by taking dives _all_ the time.

If that italian player were to jump over the defender, or run around him, he is 1 on 1 with the goalie, and gets to score a highlight reel goal. Instead, he is a coward. Sure, he won, but he is no sportsman in my book.

...Instead, he is a coward.  Sure, he won, but he is no sportsman in my book.

714127[/snapback]

I agree. Some players have class and some don't. But, as in life, the scumbag often gets the glory.

With all they yellow & red cards flying around, it's a shame to me that we haven't seen one for diving yet. At least, I haven't seen it happen--maybe someone can correct me on this, but I doubt it.

In any case, this is still a great WC overall I think.

I don't understand why soccer players feel they need to disgrace their sport by taking dives _all_ the time.

If that italian player were to jump over the defender, or run around him, he is 1 on 1 with the goalie, and gets to score a highlight reel goal.  Instead, he is a coward.  Sure, he won, but he is no sportsman in my book.

714127[/snapback]

By the time he jumps over him or runs around him, another defender or the goalkeeper could have closed him down. Blocking someone's path to goal without actually playing the ball is obstruction and is a foul. Was it a debatable decision? Probably, but on the other hand the sending-off was extremely dubious. No way was that worthy of a straight red.

714137[/snapback]

There's no question about that, I agree. There have been some AMAZING goals....more than I expected, that's for sure. I've seen at least one game every day since 6/9, and I'm not the least bit tired of it. It's going to suck when it's over :blush:

I agree.  Some players have class and some don't.  But, as in life, the scumbag often gets the glory.

With all they yellow & red cards flying around, it's a shame to me that we haven't seen one for diving yet.  At least, I haven't seen it happen--maybe someone can correct me on this, but I doubt it.

714137[/snapback]

Can't think of the game(s) in which they occurred but I'm pretty sure players have been yellow-carded for it. I agree that refs should come down harder on this - some of the diving in the Portugal-Holland game was ridiculous.

I just checked the schedule and I realized that I have watched 26 of the 53 games so far. It would be more if not for work. A few games I have taped and watched after work. Maybe I have a problem--I don't care though. If loving this game is wrong, I don't wanna be right.