*World Cup Game Thread*

ajzepp

Pretty damn entertaining opener, Germany vs. Costa Rica. Six goals total, with two of them being AWESOME. Frings of Germany hit a 40 yarder late in the game that will be on highlight reels for years. The goalie had no chance at all.

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Pretty damn entertaining opener, Germany vs. Costa Rica. Six goals total, with two of them being AWESOME. Frings of Germany hit a 40 yarder late in the game that will be on highlight reels for years. The goalie had no chance at all.

705885[/snapback]

i wouldnt know...espn's soccer game cast refuses to refresh, so its still stuck on 85 minutes with the score 3-2 germany. fuggin espn.

i wouldnt know...espn's soccer game cast refuses to refresh, so its still stuck on 85 minutes with the score 3-2 germany. fuggin espn.

705887[/snapback]

That does suck....if it kicks in, though, it's worth the wait :lol: I thought Germany's first goal was a thing of beauty, but their last one was a damn ROCKET. This is a team that clearly knows how to put the ball on goal, and their shots are solid. That's the one thing I didn't see from the US in their friendlies. They were doing all sorts of fancy passing, but sometimes you just gotta rip it and keep the goalie honest.

705887[/snapback]

I think Fifa.com has an official up to the minute play by play of the game.

I can't wait for monday.

That does suck....if it kicks in, though, it's worth the wait :lol:  I thought Germany's first goal was a thing of beauty, but their last one was a damn ROCKET. This is a team that clearly knows how to put the ball on goal, and their shots are solid. That's the one thing I didn't see from the US in their friendlies. They were doing all sorts of fancy passing, but sometimes you just gotta rip it and keep the goalie honest.

705895[/snapback]

Germany's first TWO were beautiful. You won't see a more perfect play than their second.

Uh oh, I think some one beat you to it.  There is another thread over on the wall.  But this one looks more official.  :lol:

705897[/snapback]

I meant for this thread to be one where we can talk about the actual game play for the next few weeks. I didn't even see Tolstoy's thread on the wall, though lol

Germany's first TWO were beautiful.  You won't see a more perfect play than their second.

705912[/snapback]

I agree....I thought it was smart that (what's his name) pulled back and held off the cross, sent the ball back toward the top of the box, and then the other guy fed it over to Klose for the goal.

I think that ESPN Classic will have a replay of this match at 5PM East coast time...

705931[/snapback]

That's one of the things I love about soccer.....the majority of the matches are right at 2hrs viewing time, or even a little less than that, and you're seeing 90+ mins of game play w/in that 2 hrs.

I agree....I thought it was smart that (what's his name) pulled back and held off the cross, sent the ball back toward the top of the box, and then the other guy fed it over to Klose for the goal.

705930[/snapback]

Yeah...what's his name. The German right winger, who was open all friggin' day. I can understand letting someone get behind you once or twice...but for a whole 90 minutes plus? :lol:

It didn't help either, on that play, that Costa Rica's #12 was seriously dogging it. He was in position to cut off that pass to the center...he just couldn't be bothered. Hell, you could have put my flabby ass back there, and while I would have failed to disrupt the pass as well, I at least would have made an attempt... :lol:

Yeah...what's his name.  The German right winger, who was open all friggin' day.  I can understand letting someone get behind you once or twice...but for a whole 90 minutes plus?  :doh:

It didn't help either, on that play, that Costa Rica's #12 was seriously dogging it.  He was in position to cut off that pass to the center...he just couldn't be bothered.  Hell, you could have put my flabby ass back there, and while I would have failed to disrupt the pass as well, I at least would have made an attempt...  :lol:

705942[/snapback]

I was sort thinking the same thing about the Costa Ricans.....they seemed like a one-man team, with the majority of them playing with a seemingly defeatist attitude. I don't know if the early German goal took away their wind, or if they just felt overwhelmed playing against Germany, in Germany, in the opening match of the World Cup. Germany is a strong team, and one of my favorites, but I don't see them having that easy of a time beyond this match.

Now we get to see some POLACK BALL!!!! :lol:

Yeah...what's his name.  The German right winger, who was open all friggin' day.  I can understand letting someone get behind you once or twice...but for a whole 90 minutes plus?  :lol:

It didn't help either, on that play, that Costa Rica's #12 was seriously dogging it.  He was in position to cut off that pass to the center...he just couldn't be bothered.  Hell, you could have put my flabby ass back there, and while I would have failed to disrupt the pass as well, I at least would have made an attempt...  :lol:

705942[/snapback]

You do realize they were playing Costa Rica. If you think this is a defeatist attitude, wait till the sh------- teams play Brazil.

Did I say "defeatist attitude"?  I was just surprised at the lack of effort.  You can be a sh------- team and still try...

705972[/snapback]

Sorry I misread it.

Anyways it looks like this WC will be better than the disaster that was 2002.

I can't tell if Poland is drunk, hungover, or just plain slow.....Ecuador had a very clever goal off of a throw-in.