This is a Football Post!

Tolstoy

Today begins the biggest football tournament in the world. It also happens to be the biggest sporting event in the world. Last time around it netted close to 30 billion (yes billion) viewers. In the words of one writer:

"This is big, dude. Bigger than the Super Bowl. Bigger than the Beatles. Bigger than Brando's undergarments."

ESPN has transferred one of their top baseball men (Dave O'Brien) to cover the event (and he has been cramming for 6 months)

Who will watch the World Cup of Soccer?

I will.

Who is with me?

Today begins the biggest football tournament in the world.  It also happens to be the biggest sporting event in the world.  Last time around it netted close to 30 billion (yes billion) viewers.  In the words of one writer:

"This is big, dude. Bigger than the Super Bowl. Bigger than the Beatles. Bigger than Brando's undergarments."

ESPN has transferred one of their top baseball men (Dave O'Brien) to cover the event (and he has been cramming for 6 months)

I will.

Who is with me?

705637[/snapback]

30 billion viewers, eh? Aren't there only 6.5 billion people on earth? :D

Yeah, I'll watch and will be rooting for the US. But honestly, it's hard to get that excited for a team that will likely be facing a quick exit from the tournament.

And by the way, this should be in the off-topic board. Your LAMP attempt and shameless soccer plug did not amuse me this morning.

I think I'll pass, Soccer ranks just above dog shows and Spelling Bees and just below the world Poker tour, Mens Tennis, and Golf as sports I am willing to give a crap about and actually watch

705693[/snapback]

I gained a lot more respect for being interested in watching golf a few years back in the mid-90s when I kept seeing in my review of the sports pages, article after article heralding greg Norman's extraordinary play in that year's masters.

The Sunday morning papers all agreed that Norman had built such a big lead after the third round that even with a foldo of galactic proportions the final holes might be an interesting competition.

I was cable surfing around and stumbled upon the Masters with the final pairing of Norman and Faldo playing the 10th or 11th. Amazingly, not only had Norman imploded so badly but Faldo was standing on his head with each shot and the tournament was for all purposes over.

It really was amazing watch what in essence was well over an hour of death march as these two played the back 9. The announcers simply spoke with subdued mourning about how huge of a meltdown this had been.

The final drama was that when Norman finally holed out to end voyeuristic monstrosity he did the only thing a human being could do in the face of this agony he gave his fellow competitor a big hug. What amazed me even more was that Norman was so beaten that he could do nothing but accept the hug and hang on himself.

Sorts is a weird thing. Golf in particular earns its nickname of a good walk spoiled, but I really had never witnessed such a psychodrama played out of the public stage.

I never envisioned I would watch golf and as folks can tell from my verbose football psots, I am deep into the details of the game, but when it comes to golf I could care less about the details of whether it would be better to do a fade or a cut shot. If the final round involves a good soap opera and testimoney to the hum an condition I will watch.

how come so many kids in school play soccer , then do not give a sh-- about it after high school ?????

705738[/snapback]

Simple. They finally come to the realization...."Hey!! why did I expend all that energy running up and down that huge-a$$ field for apparently no freakin' reason"...A soccer field is no place for teens to score. :D

2 me soccer is like what george carlin said golf is like........its like watching flys fuk! i cant stand a sport where when the refs are clearly wrong if you try to point it out you get "carded for it" or a game where you dont know how many penatly minutes the refs have added...i'll watch hockey thats the version of soccer i like

Today begins the biggest football tournament in the world.  It also happens to be the biggest sporting event in the world.  Last time around it netted close to 30 billion (yes billion) viewers.  In the words of one writer:

I will.

Who is with me?

705637[/snapback]

World grass growing championship. Save a couple of hours and go straight to the shoot out!

30 billion viewers, eh? Aren't there only 6.5 billion people on earth?  :lol:

Yeah, I'll watch and will be rooting for the US. But honestly, it's hard to get that excited for a team that will likely be facing a quick exit from the tournament.

And by the way, this should be in the off-topic board. Your LAMP attempt and shameless soccer plug did not amuse me this morning.

705674[/snapback]

I am well aware of the population of the world. In fact, the numbers here refer to the combined audience of all the World Cup games.