The deciding factor in picking the #1 QB

Why hate a guy who may really help the team? 

I think Marv got great value in Nall for the size of his contract.

708972[/snapback]

I don't think anybody here hates him, it's just that enthusiasm for him should be tempered in the same way it is when JP has good/bad days in practice. Nall has had a lot of bad days so far and it seems like the light is finally going on. Good for him. I hope it's a good competition and that the guy that's best for the job wins. But I'm not going to discount either Nall or Losman. I'm sensing that you are counting out one (who was essentially a rook last year) in favor of another (who has had very limited experience and was not retained by the team that drafted him, a team that has a QB soon to retire). Those who feel Losman's the guy (myself included) feel he has more upside. But he obviously has to make good on it soon. If he doesn't, Nall should by all means get a chance.

• Replies 109
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The Packers had a top 5 draft pick fall to the 24th pick.  A starting QB over age 30.  It was a value draft decision that is all. 

Like many Packer fans I thought it was a waste of a first round pick. 

Nall is a far better QB.  Nall has the better arm. 

Did you know that Nall went to the NCAA finals as a javelin thrower? 

He has arm as demostrated recently in his 60 yard completion in practice.

708972[/snapback]

Strong arm is only one part of the equation. Michael Vick, who you already discussed, has an extremley strong arm (stronger than Nall's) and yet he still struggles.

If it was just a value pick for GB, Nall would STILL be on the team. Nall would be being groomed to take over for Favre while Rogers was trade bait.

I don't hate Nall. I don't know the guy. If he becomes the starter great, I just think that is very unrealistic considering that the Packers, who had him for three years and know more about evaluating QBs than I do, and who saw him for three years, let him walk out the door. If they thought he was as good as some people here seem to believe, there is no way he would be a Bill right now.

My point is Marv knows this. Jauron knows this too. They brought Nall in on a flyer AND to push JP. But I assure you that when they talked about bringing him in, it was nothing more than that. I don't think either realistically expected Nall to be the starter for the Bills. But, at his value and with his physical stats, it was worth the risk.

It all goes back to my belief that this really isn't a competition. JP is the starter for the Bills this year, despite the lip service coming out of OBD.

The Packers had a top 5 draft pick fall to the 24th pick.  A starting QB over age 30.  It was a value draft decision that is all. 

Like many Packer fans I thought it was a waste of a first round pick. 

Nall is a far better QB.  Nall has the better arm. 

Did you know that Nall went to the NCAA finals as a javelin thrower? 

He has arm as demostrated recently in his 60 yard completion in practice.

708972[/snapback]

If that were so, why would the Packers let him go....If the Packers think he will be a good QB, they are going to play him ahead of even a 1st round pick to get value for him......They will at least try to shop him around last year....

If JP can show himself to be accurate, he will start.  If Nall or Holcomb show better accuracy, JP will not start.  49%?????  That better have been a result of his lack of experience and not a true indicator of his ultimate abilities.  Given his lack of playing time in year one, last year was his rookie campaign.  Class is over for JP. 

He has no more leeway. 

Should be an interesting camp.

704368[/snapback]

Something you have to take into account is that each play is not an isolated incident......hits add up, frustration takes its toll.

No QB would have done well for us last year

1. Nall's contract expired. He was not let go.

2. The guy is a competitor and wants to start. He won't beat out Favre.

3. I have watched him develop and think he is a good QB.

4. When he has played he has done well. Yes, being #1 passer in NFL-E a few years ago isn't much but he succeeded at what he was doing. He got little regular season work but when he was in did well.

I have posted nothing against Losman except that he is inexperienced. All QB's need 3 to 4 years of apprenticeship to learn to play in the NFL.

As Marv said going through the "expense" invested in Losman why should he throw away the investment.

Remember the Packers were contempating drafting Losman but he was off the board and they never got the chance.

This is probably the best QB competiton in the NFL this year(Will Harrington really do much against Fumblepepper?)

I think Nall can win it legitimately. If he doesn't he was given a fair shot. This could be a competiton again next year.

Yes, I am biased by what my eyes have seen. Marv noticed too.

PS

Some of you may wonder why a Packer fan is here.

1. To do research for the Nov 5th game. If you know who is playing it is a better game.

2. You have a nice board here and I learn a lot even though you do not see me post much. You know what Jets "fans" are like.

3. See what is happening with Nall.

4. The Bills are a "small market" team as are the Packers dealing with some of the same issues.

5. There are a lot of University of Wisconsin players on the Bills roster.

I am a serious NFL fan. I don't mean to offend with my advocacy of Nall. But I know he is better than Pennington and Fumblepepper.

2. The guy is a competitor and wants to start.  He won't beat out Favre.

4. When he has played he has done well.  Yes, being #1 passer in NFL-E a few years ago isn't much but he succeeded at what he was doing.  He got little regular season work but when he was in did well. 

I have posted nothing against Losman except that he is inexperienced.  All QB's need 3 to 4 years of apprenticeship to learn to play in the NFL. 

As Marv said going through the "expense" invested in Losman why should he throw away the investment. 

Remember the Packers were contempating drafting Losman but he was off the board and they never got the chance. 

This is probably the best QB competiton in the NFL this year(Will Harrington really do much against Fumblepepper?)

I think Nall can win it legitimately.  If he doesn't he was given a fair shot.  This could be a competiton again next year. 

Yes, I am biased by what my eyes have seen.  Marv noticed too. 

PS

1. To do research for the Nov 5th game.  If you know who is playing it is a better game. 

2.  You have a nice board here and I learn a lot even though you do not see me post much.  You know what Jets "fans" are like.

4. The Bills are a "small market" team as are the Packers dealing with some of the same issues. 

I am a serious NFL fan.  I don't mean to offend with my advocacy of Nall.  But I know he is better than Pennington and Fumblepepper.

709074[/snapback]

Imo, there is no need to justify your presence. Out of town fans, when sane, are a welcome addition to this board.

I thank you for your take on Nall. It provides a rare, and much needed moment of optimism.

4. When he has played he has done well.  Yes, being #1 passer in NFL-E a few years ago isn't much but he succeeded at what he was doing.  He got little regular season work but when he was in did well. 

I have posted nothing against Losman except that he is inexperienced.  All QB's need 3 to 4 years of apprenticeship to learn to play in the NFL. 

I think Nall can win it legitimately.  If he doesn't he was given a fair shot.  This could be a competiton again next year. 

Yes, I am biased by what my eyes have seen.  Marv noticed too. 

PS

1. To do research for the Nov 5th game.  If you know who is playing it is a better game. 

2.  You have a nice board here and I learn a lot even though you do not see me post much.  You know what Jets "fans" are like.

I am a serious NFL fan.  I don't mean to offend with my advocacy of Nall.  But I know he is better than Pennington and Fumblepepper.

709074[/snapback]

I think most of the reasonable posters on this board would value your football based opinions and observations on Nall much more than any stats you provide on him, considering nearly all his work was done in mop up/ situational fashion.

709074[/snapback]

What I meant is that if the guy was so good, GB would have either annoited him

as their future starter or at least in the last year of his contract dealt him to some

other team for a draft pick. Or at least they would have extended him for a few

more years in his last year of contract.

709074[/snapback]

Which QB in the NFL is not a competitor....There are only 32 starting QB positions

in the NFL...You think QBs are going to be sitting back and waiting for their turn.

What regular season stats are you talking about. The guy has played mostly

NFL-E and Pre-season games.

709074[/snapback]

Agreed... Unless Losman is given the chance to lead this team without having

to look behind the mirror, he will never succeed.

Thanks for the excellent post. I'd like to add one thing, for those who ask why Nall wasn't extended. Probably Nall would have refused to sign an extension with any team that wouldn't give him a legitimate shot at being the starter. He knew he wouldn't have that in Green Bay because of Favre and the first round pick spent on Aaron Rogers. Granted, a first round pick was spent on Losman too, so Buffalo may not be a fair shake for Nall either. But the GM who drafted Losman has been let go, so probably Buffalo will be less unfair for Nall than Green Bay would have been.