Peter King thinks Thruman should be in HOF

"1. Thurman Thomas, RB, Buffalo. I continue to be amazed at the lack of an uproar when he didn't make it last year. He's one of those guys who everyone says, "Oh, don't worry. He'll get in.'' Probably so, but I've heard that said about too many people over the years, people who never got in. So I take nothing for granted. Thomas was the most versatile running back over a six- or seven-year period, and he was the reason the Buffalo offense kept so many long drives alive. Only one Hall of Fame back, Walter Payton, has more catches than Thomas' 472. This guy's lock city. Or should be."

It's about time Peter King said something worthwhile.

703409[/snapback]

And in the same article he disses Levy

4. Bill Parcells, coach. I always say the same thing about this. When Marv Levy was actively trying to get back into coaching, even at his advanced age, he and Parcells came up for a vote. I must be blind, because I think it's no contest that a man who has led four different teams to the playoffs, three different teams to the conference title game, two different teams to the Super Bowl and won two world titles is more deserving by far than Levy.

4. Bill Parcells, coach. I always say the same thing about this. When Marv Levy was actively trying to get back into coaching, even at his advanced age, he and Parcells came up for a vote. I must be blind, because I think it's no contest that a man who has led four different teams to the playoffs, three different teams to the conference title game, two different teams to the Super Bowl and won two world titles is more deserving by far than Levy.

703418[/snapback]

Well, doesn't someone have to be "retired" for at least 5 years to be voted in? I know that's true for players, but is it the same for coaches?

703418[/snapback]

do you honestly disagree with him??

do you honestly disagree with him??

703447[/snapback]

Which brings up an interesting question. If Parcells coached the talent of those Bills teams of the 90s, would we have won a Super Bowl? I love Marv, but he isn't close to the coach Parcells was. If we switched rosters of the teams in SB 25, Parcells coaching the Bills would have blown out the Giants. That said, I highly doubt that any other coach could have led the Bills to 4 straight Super Bowls. Marv knew how to treat players and was highly respected. A guy like Parcells would have worn out some veterans (though a Parcells - Bruce showdown would have been quite interesting).

Well, doesn't someone have to be "retired" for at least 5 years to be voted in? I know that's true for players, but is it the same for coaches?

703441[/snapback]

Thats what I was thinking, Doesn't Parcells have to be retired for a certain amount of time before he can be voted in?

I seem to recall talk about Parcells not being considered for the HOF prior to his taking the Dallas job, because most people thought he wouldn't stay retired. Therefore, you wait until you know he's retired and not coming back before voting him in. I'm certain that he'll be voted in..all in good time.

Changing topic a little......

What about Tasker?

I admit I may be a bit biased due to him being my favourite player but...

Why isn't he in the HOF?

Surely being the greatest of all time at a position should enable first year entrance into the HOF.

anyway back to thurman....he definitely should be in the HOF..no doubt about it, he was marshall faulk before marshall even existed..the multifaceted, elusive, pass-catching running back role was perfected by thurman..either way he will be in within the next few years, so i'm not going to worry too much

This is good, but where was he last year when Moon was considered a higher priority to let it? For that matter, what about his ridiculous crusade against Art Monk?

703635[/snapback]

I dont think Art Monk should get in either. He only made three Pro Bowls out of his 16 year career.

Compare that with Andre (7 times) and Cris Carter (8 times). Even Michael Irvin, who played a handful of less years than Monk did, made the Pro Bowl more times with 5 selections.

Monk racked up the stats for sure, but he never truly dominated. Hall of Very Good, not Hall of Fame.

Changing topic a little......

What about Tasker?

I admit I may be a bit biased due to him being my favourite player but...

Why isn't he in the HOF?

Surely being the greatest of all time at a position should enable first year entrance into the HOF.

703675[/snapback]

That is a tricky one since he is the greatest special team player of all time. There are such limitations on the number of players admitted to the HOF every year that even if he were nominated it would be very difficult for him to get in.

He would always be going up against a more mainstream player that is deemed "more deserving". The fact that he is from Buffalo and not NY, CHI, or Pitt obviously doesn't help.