Why are some convinced that JP will fail?

Rubes

Not that we need to dredge up another JP love-him-or-hate-him thread, but it's the offseason, dammit, and I'm just wondering what it is that makes some people here convinced that he will not succeed in the NFL?

I'm still on the fence about him, but here are some of my own observations:

Pros: Strong arm, can make all the throws. Very mobile, to great advantage. Throws well on the run. Made some really good throws last year: vs. Houston (a few), vs. KC (the two TDs were really pretty), and vs. Miami (of course). Hard worker.

Cons: Too often indecisive and anxious. Too quick to abandon the play and run for it. Made some really poor decisions (both throwing and running) in a few games. Doesn't know how to protect himself.

Unfortunately, some of this reminds me of RJ a bit, particularly the indecisiveness. But I really don't see him as another RJ. What I really wanted to see out of JP last year was at least the ability to perform well in spurts. Those throws against KC and Miami were fantastic, and it showed me he has the ability to do some really good things. I expect indecisiveness and poor decision-making from a rookie (and yes, he was a rookie last year, as far as play time), especially when the offensive line is so bad that you must make quick decisions all the time. Bledsoe was in the league for a decade and he still made lousy decisions all the time. And he couldn't throw a screen pass to save his life.

Time will tell if JP can overcome the indecisiveness and poor decision-making -- that's what comes with more experience. Even with a decent cast around him, RJ never could overcome that. But I think with a new offensive approach, some new bodies on the offensive line, and a little more patience, I think he has a decent chance of succeeding. He's shown me enough so far to think that, for now.

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I am not convinced that he will fail. I also am not convinced that he will succeed.

I am convinced, however, that he was not ready to be the type of QB that the Bills' former "brain trust" thought that he would be last year.

I really hope that he succeeds. Actually, I hope that all of our QBs play well and that one of them clearly wins the job, plays well, and contributes to the success of the team as a whole.

Maybe because he has looked bad in all but 2 quarters. Maybe because he is worse then even RJ was on his worst day. Maybe because even his teammates have said he didn't earn it, and demanded a career backup over him. Maybe because the management and coaching staff touted how great he was in workouts, etc,,, and when he hit the field even in the scaled down pre-season he looked like a peewee backup Qb going against pros.

Strong arm, can make all the throws. Very mobile, to great advantage. Throws well on the run. Made some really good throws last year: vs. Houston (a few), vs. KC (the two TDs were really pretty), and vs. Miami (of course). Hard worker.

697138[/snapback]

What exactly does "can make all the throws" mean? He didn't make a lot of the throws last year. He often overthrew, or underthrew to receivers.

Like you, I am not convinced one way or another about Losman yet. In his favor, in my eyes, is that he showed significant improvement in decision making, during his second (albeit too brief) stint as a starter.

There are some similarities to RJ, but one significant difference, which I believe is in JP's favor, is a strong desire to succeed. RJ never seemed all that fiery, or frankly, overly concerned if he was the starter or the back-up...he was getting paid either way. As you pointed out, it certainly seems like JP is a hard worker, since being the named the starter last year. I have some doubts about the "next Favre" stuff, but I am still optimistic that he can be very good. He just needs a lot more experience.

he has no accuracy. and thats not even on your list of cons.

697153[/snapback]

You know, concerning the JP negatories, I find it easier arguing with a brick wall.

You know, concerning the JP negatories, I find it easier arguing with a brick wall.

697163[/snapback]

Despite his statistics that show him in about the middle of the pack for first-time NFL starting QB's, the "fans" are convinced he's the worst QB they've ever seen.

PTR

He isn't a Manning

He isn't Brady

He isn't Favre

He isn't McNabb

HE isn't McNair

He isn't Brees

He isn't Rothlesburger

He isn't Montana

He isn't Kelly

He isn't Elway

He isn't Young (Steve or Vince)

He isn't Leinart

He isn't Cutler

Need I continue????????

He did not tear apart the league in his rookie season like Big Ben, and he struggled being the strater, but maybe like most other 1st round picks, he needs more then 8 starts to prove himself

He was put in a bad situation last year being annointed the starter without prooving anything, even he can agree with his teammates about that. But none of his teammates are saying he won't be a decent QB, just that he should have won the job instead of it being given to him and that he will gain more respect on the field when he wins the job and shows them (and the fans) that he has the abilities to be the starter.

No wonder the Buffalo area has never had a championship team, the fans demand perfection from their teams and are not willing to see if something is going to work out, its instant success or you suck

he has no accuracy. and thats not even on your list of cons.

697153[/snapback]

watch that pass to Evans in the KC game in slow mo and tell me he has "no" accuracy.... he's not productive by nfl standards yet but nobody claims he is. Give the guy a chance and stop making it seem as though he would fail no matter what.

watch that pass to Evans in the KC game in slow mo and tell me he has "no" accuracy.... he's not productive by nfl standards yet but nobody claims he is. Give the guy a chance and stop making it seem as though he would fail no matter what.

697176[/snapback]

Whatever.. I stand firmly on the "JP will never cut it" side of things. I'm not argueing it, infact you'll only see about two posts ever by me complaining about the guy. Both are in this thread, where I was asked to say something. Just let time decide if he's good or not, because we can't.

697176[/snapback]

A broken clock...

The question is why are some convinced JP will fail, and I think the answer is accuracy and decision making. I don't think it's because people are unaware that he has only played in a few games and that QB's take time to develop or that people have a strong desire to see him fail. There's room for reasonable disagreement on this.

ANd I actually think his best pass of the year was a 15-20 yard floater to Reed, but it's not a good thing when you can list his nice passes for the whole season.

Whatever.. I stand firmly on the "JP will never cut it" side of things. I'm not argueing it, infact you'll only see about two posts ever by me complaining about the guy. Both are in this thread, where I was asked to say something. Just let time decide if he's good or not, because we can't.

697184[/snapback]

good, fair enough, I did not realize that this was not the everyday thing for you to do. Some people have made it theirs. Time will tell and I wish people could just trust that. I should let you know that I am not one that posts JP love posts a bunch, in fact I only post strong posts concerning him when I feel somebody is being ridiculous, I am behind whoever wins the starting job.