Shame on Buffalo

• Replies 97
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I was at both games -- with my wife. We tailgated yesterday, but couldn't on Saturday b/c of other commitments before the game. I did not personally witness any belligerence on the part of Sabre fans -- just some rowdy but generally good-natured behavior. I saw no Buffalo fan "pick a fight." I don't dispute that the incidents reported actually happened, but I also don't solely blame Buffalo fans if they did. I taunted no one, but received numerous "Go back to Buffalo" taunts at the hands of the "friendly" Carolina fans. I posted in another thread how I was chastised for not wearing "the home team's jersey" if I chose to live in this area.

Give me a break with the "Buffalo's image is now soiled and we should be embarrassed" b.s. The problem here is that Buffalo fans are vocal in their support of the team. In the parking lot, every 10 minutes or so a couple of fans would let loose with a "LET'S GO, BUFFALO" chant. I don't think the fans down here are used to that, and it is viewed as "obnoxious" or "instigating" behavior. Similarly, when Buffalo fans passed each other in the concourse they would high five and give a "GO SABRES" acknowledgement to each other. I'm sure that was also viewed as obnoxious by the refined Carolina faithful.

Another example of the "friendly" Carolina fans -- while watching the game, I only cheered loudly when the Sabres scored, and I never stared at any Canes' fans while doing so. So what happens when Carolina scores last night? Some well-dressed 40-something woman in the row in front of me turns around and looks straight at me while cheering -- and Buffalo fans are the rude ones?

I can't wait for Game 5 -- maybe I'll go out early on Sunday and get good and liquored up so I can further enhance the Buffalo fan image. :lol:

GO SABRES!!!!

Unbelievable. LOL.  I'll just leave it alone.  Many Sabres fans seem to be OK with how they were branded this weekend.  Really nice that your standards are so high.

Anyway, I'm done.  Whether you want to stick your heads in the sand or not, Buffalo created quite a reputation for itself this weekend, and it wasn't a good one. 

Good Luck to both teams the rest of the way. HOpefully it's a 7 gamer.

696540[/snapback]

No LV- I am not comfortable being branded into a group and I do have high standards. Especially when I never saw ANY of the crap you claim happened. Unbelieveable. I spent thirty minutes with X Benedict after the game talking to Canes fans. Everyone was good natured. I get home and start reading about what a bunch of azzholes the Sabres fans are. You would think they started Raleigh on fire! Excuse me if I'm annoyed. Jesus grow a pair Raleigh. :lol:

Another example of the "friendly" Carolina fans -- while watching the game, I only cheered loudly when the Sabres scored,

696730[/snapback]

How did you have time to cheer loudly for goals while you were so busy marauding and pillidging with the rest of us? :lol:

No LV- I am not comfortable being branded into a group and I do have high standards. Especially when I never saw ANY of the crap you claim happened. Unbelieveable. I spent thirty minutes with X Benedict after the game talking to Canes fans. Everyone was good natured. I get home and start reading about what a bunch of azzholes the Sabres fans are. You would think they started Raleigh on fire! Excuse me if I'm annoyed. Jesus grow a pair Raleigh. :(

696733[/snapback]

Yeah, you've gotta love the internet. 4 idiots or 20 (or whatever, I truly doubt there were more than a handful or someone more mainstream would have picked up this story) cause problems, and there were probably that many (or more - remember there were 4 times as many Canes fans at the 1st game, it just sounded like there were more Sabres fans) idiot Canes fans there as well cause problems, but because 2 people start threads about them, there are soon MANY threads regarding this "problem". Heck it was on "CBS Sportsline" so it must have been a massive problem :lol:, yeah, in a respond to the article thread underneath. :lol:

Good heavens, it sounds like the arena was a bloodbath. :lol:

Don't get me wrong, I'm not excusing the idiots. Just it sounds to me like this "problem" is being wildly blown out of proportion.

How did you have time to cheer loudly for goals while you were so busy marauding and pilliging with the rest of us? :lol:

696743[/snapback]

Now that's a marketing campaign I can get behind.

Sabres Fans. We're coming to pillage your town! We'll get some old buses and put some holes in them a la Slapshot. Canes fans can stand at the city line, with their "Go Home Sabres" signs.

I can hear Cam Ward now....

"My hallergy to those f@#$ing fans, you know... has returned. "

Now that's a marketing campaign I can get behind.

Sabres Fans. We're coming to pillage your town! We'll get some old buses and put some holes in them a la Slapshot. Canes fans can stand at the city line, with their "Go Home Sabres" signs.

I can hear Cam Ward now....

"My hallergy to those f@#$ing fans, you know... has returned. "

696754[/snapback]

Braden to Bus Driver: Hey, Walt. What are you doing?

Bus Driver: Making it look MEAN!!!

Another example of the "friendly" Carolina fans -- while watching the game, I only cheered loudly when the Sabres scored, and I never stared at any Canes' fans while doing so.  So what happens when Carolina scores last night?  Some well-dressed 40-something woman in the row in front of me turns around and looks straight at me while cheering -- and Buffalo fans are the rude ones?

GO SABRES!!!!

696730[/snapback]

This is not an isolated phenomenon. I have seen this very thing happen at Panthers games all the time. It will get better for NC fans eventually. Enough of us will move down there that they will see how to really support a team...

;);):lol:

I guess it goes way back... NC sending the "bad apples packing"... Of course they call us savages... WNY/Southern Ontario is where the first so-called "touble-makers" were sent packing to... ;);)

Kinda funny considering that historically a lot of WNYers settled (most recently) in North Carolina... The other thing that NC and WNY have in common historically is that with the influx of early English settlements in North Carolina, the Tuscarora Native Americans took shelter among the Five Nations (Iroquois)... In WNY/Southern Ontario.

This is where it first started (notice colored text) for the "uptight" "Carolinans." I bet revisionist history runs deep in the Carolinas... :lol::)

Predating the settlements of the early colonists the earliest inhabitants were the Tuscarora Indians. They lived along the banks of the Trent River. Here they planted crops and fished the river for small mouth bass, striped bass, and catfish. Deer, muskrat and beaver were abundant in the area. It is reported that their territory was huge covering the area between the Neuse River Basin and the Cape Fear River from North Carolina's coastal areas to the Appalachian Mountains. The farm land that the Tuscarora's had developed was later taken over by the colonists.

Although the Tuscarora Indians were largely credited for the survival of the colonists who had settled on their land, the Indians had been abused by the white settlers for many years. The colonists often sold them useless rifles whose barrels were bent. Land was frequently purchased from the Indians often at prices well below its value. Trading for furs and other commodities was often one-sided. Worst of all was the raiding of the Indian villages and capture of women and children to be brought back as slaves to work the plantations. The sale of home brewed whiskey to the Indians was further cause for much drunkenness and disturbances that took place in the villages.

The Indians had a about 260 fighting men between the Neuse and Pamlico Rivers in the villages adjacent to the white settlements destined for destruction. The settlers had approximately 1000 able to bear arms. According to historians, the majority of the Tuscaroras did not participate in the attack on the settlers. "Dr. Byrd, historian, said traditional North Carolina history has given the Tuscaroras a "bad rap", depicting them as blood thirsty murderers. It'd important that people understand the abuses endured by the Indians at the hands of the settlers for a decade and the events that led up to the massacre." The Indians were cheated in trading and were not allowed to hunt near the settler' plantations and under that pretense took away from them, their game, arms and ammunition. The Indians were insulted in may ways by a few rough Carolinians more barbarous and unkind than the Indians themselves. If the Indians were raiding the settlements of the whites and carrying off their women and children to serve as slaves, it is certain the settlers would have risen up to retaliate.

Some of the Indians who attacked the settlers lived close by and knew the settlers well. In fact, they liked some of them. During the two years that the war continued, many of the settlers had gained many friends among the Indians and considered themselves on good terms. It was the Indians they could thank for their survival after arriving in the New World. It was these Indians who taught them ho to raise crops which would grow in the area.

Read more if you like...

Tuscarora

I am reluctant to keep this going but this was just too rich.

Perspective from Philly papers:

"Rod Brind'Amour's Hurricanes have played two games against the Sabres in the Eastern Conference finals and the fans were showing their playoff spirit by mixing it up at the RBC Center in Raleigh, N.C.

The Raleigh News and Observer reported that police arrested four fans Saturday and two more Monday, on charges that include assault, fighting and damaging property.

By our count, that adds up to a minor, major and game misconduct on the ice."

:lol:

I am reluctant to keep this going but this was just too rich.

Perspective from Philly papers:

"Rod Brind'Amour's Hurricanes have played two games against the Sabres in the Eastern Conference finals and the fans were showing their playoff spirit by mixing it up at the RBC Center in Raleigh, N.C.

The Raleigh News and Observer reported that police arrested four fans Saturday and two more Monday, on charges that include assault, fighting and damaging property.

By our count, that adds up to a minor, major and game misconduct on the ice."

<_<

696958[/snapback]

Game misconduct? That's kind of overkill, isn't it? :P