Posey to end?

http://www.realfootball365.com/nfl/article...ills110506.html

Well, at least its better than talking about:

1. Whitner and McCargo's draft position- did they reach or target?

2. Whether Magahee is a bum or not. (poll)

3. How old Marv and Ralph are?

4. How our O-line is going to go 16 games?

and

5. Losman's QB ability?

(I was going to through in Williams to the Bucs but that's at least funny).

Has he shown any ability as a pass rusher since 2002?

Can he put his hand down and be the rusher than either Denney and Kelsay aren't?

Has he got counters etc to play the position, rather than blitz from the 2 point stance as a Lber, effectively shooting a gap, bypassing a guard/ tackle?

Maybe McCargo can play end on runs, move into a Tackle on 3rds and Posey play the end aka Bennett and Hansen, Paup and Hansen (are those were the days).

It's a long offseason.

Oh, the miners are out of the cave in in Tasmania if you haven't caught the news.

14 days trapped 1km below...I don't know...but the first night 1 of them was at the "local" having a pint... :)

The "trooth" is, the first thing readers of TBD need to realize is that this Connor Byrne guy is simply a blogger with wild fantasies. He doesn't have any access to the Bills organization or any of the players. He, basically, like many of the "wallers" just fantasizes a lot and spews out his opinion. He has no more knowledge of the game or the Bills than you or me... and probably a lot less.

The guy has no idea of what this new defense is going to look like, nor how Denney or Kelsey would be able to function within it. He mentions the inability of Kelsey and Denney to distinguish themselves as top notch DEs, yet catupaults a player that the majority of fans think is one of the defense's week links (Posey) into some potential breakthrough he thinks makes sense doing... moving the guy to DE. That makes a lot of sense. What next, Lavale Sape to guard to solve the Bills OLine problems?

Actually, the majority of Posey's 8 sacks when he was on the Texans in 2002 were in passing defenses, with him at end not linebacker, with his hand on the ground. I'm just sayin.'

How do you know this? Houston ran a 3-4 defense at the time and Posey was an olb. How would you know whether his hand was on the ground or he was stand up rushing from OLB unless, of course, you've been scanning tape? Posey was essentially replaced by Jay Foreman in that alignment when Posey was signed by the Bills and Foreman was traded for some kick returner (or punt catcher) that is probably bagging groceries now.

Posey was initially used as a DE by SF. But, he was deemed quite inadequate. That is when Capers picked him up and decided to uitilize him at olb. Posey's best performances have been out of the 3-4 alignment as an olb. He will not function optimally in a 4-3 alignment at any position.

How do you know this?  Houston ran a 3-4 defense at the time and Posey was an olb.  How would you know whether his hand was on the ground or he was stand up rushing from OLB unless, of course, you've been scanning tape?  Posey was essentially replaced by Jay Foreman in that alignment when Posey was signed by the Bills and Foreman was traded for some kick returner (or punt catcher) that is probably bagging groceries now.

Posey was initially used as a DE by SF.  But, he was deemed quite inadequate.  That is when Capers picked him up and decided to uitilize him at olb.  Posey's best performances have been out of the 3-4 alignment as an olb.  He will not function optimally in a 4-3 alignment at any position.

689200[/snapback]

Because when we signed him there was an article about it that said just that, and that on passing downs he had his hand down lining up as a DE, and then I went back and looked at all the games playbooks at NFL.com and 6 of the 8 I think were on 3rd and long or 2nd and long. A lot of teams that run a 3-4 on passing downs with their nickel and dime packages will have a 4th pass rusher with their hand on the ground. I saw him do it in Houston. In fact, Posey only started half the season in Houston that year. He was always part of the sub packages though on passing downs.

Because when we signed him there was an article about it that said just that, and that on passing downs he had his hand down lining up as a DE, and then I went back and looked at all the games playbooks at NFL.com and 6 of the 8 I think were on 3rd and long or 2nd and long. A lot of teams that run a 3-4 on passing downs with their nickel and dime packages will have a 4th pass rusher with their hand on the ground. I saw him do it in Houston. In fact, Posey only started half the season in Houston that year. He was always part of the sub packages though on passing downs.

689229[/snapback]

What he said.

That was one of the reasons TD gave when Posey didn't put up the numbers he had in Texass. "We're using him differently."

It remains to be seen if Posey was just the first piece of magpie bling that TD grabbed (and which impressed the league and ESPN pundits so) only to be put into the Hot Pockets toaster at OBD, or will the current crop of coaches find a means to utilize the guy's talents. GW and Jerry-the-Worthless -HC-in-Waiting-Gray never developed an effective plan to use him as a pressure end. They were more concerned with the oh-so-meaningful (not!) stat battle to see which team allowed the fewest yards per game.

For someone who has the games on tapes or remembers them fairly well: Is Posey really that bad? I think people sometimes forget that he is a strongside LB. That means he goes to the side where the TE and will never have the stats a guy like Takeo will (of course he ain't nearly the player as well). I'm just curious if he really is getting blown off the ball or missing tackles. Also, how effective is he at the blitz? If anyone knows this, it would be much appreciate rather than just say he sucks because everyone does. :devil:

For someone who has the games on tapes or remembers them fairly well:  Is Posey really that bad?  I think people sometimes forget that he is a strongside LB.  That means he goes to the side where the TE and will never have the stats a guy like Takeo will (of course he ain't nearly the player as well).  I'm just curious if he really is getting blown off the ball or missing tackles.  Also, how effective is he at the blitz?  If anyone knows this, it would be much appreciate rather than just say he sucks because everyone does.  :w00t:

689384[/snapback]

Actually Posey is not as bad as some posters on TSW would have us think as some posters here find various whipping boys and even when they are correct in judging a player to be inadequate it really is mere coincidence they are right.

As best as I can tell (which is no stone cold lock of correctness either hence my overreliance on stats to try to check my thoughts and to invite specific explanations from folks as to why my thoughts are incorrect or should be modified), this is my sense of Posey's career as a Bill:

2003- First FA signed that year as TD made him s handsomr market saavy bid which got him off the market before 1am. He was atttactive because he logged 8 sacks as a Texan though that was in a 3-4. The offense was horrid behind a struggling Bledsoe that year and though the D kept them in play until mid-season it was the O going something like 10 straight quarters without a TD as Kevin Killdrive refused to vary our approach which killed us and really contiunally put the D in bad possitions.

Posey also seemed to struggle a bit to get comfortable in a 4-3 rather than a 3-4. However the D proved to be fairly effective as LeBeau had installed a zone blitz of his design though Gray still did the playcalling.

Though Posey did not record many highlight reel sacks (with the exception him tattoing David Carr in the endzone and knocking him out of a few games) but he did show some of the experience he had by logging a ton of minutes at OLB in what was statistically the 5th best D in the MFL. An indictment that the Bills were too yds/game stats focus is true that this is not a true measure of who the best D is, however, though it may not be a way to tell whether #1 or #3 is better, it actually does strike me as a fair indicator that this Bills D was clearly not the worst in the NFL and actually was one of the better Ds though maybe not in the top 5.

2004- Posey seemed to step it up a notch and perform well to this watcher. The Bills D improved in its statitical performance to #2 and again while being #2 in the stats does not assure to me that you are actually the second best, this stat can not be rationally totally ignored. This D also logged other stats like turnovers that more closely correlate to the ultimate stat W/L and overall this was one of the better units in the NFL IMHO.

Posey deserves great credit for starting all 16 games for a second year in a row, anecdotaaly the role he seemed to play was actually diagnosing plays well because he seemed to divide his time pretty well between pinching in on run support or dripping into the medium zone which allowed Fletcher and Spikes both to log in 3 sacks.

Some knowlegable posters such as Simon did complain bitterly about Posey and often sited him taking bad angles or turning the wrong way. They watch the game more closely than I do so I asked them for specific cases where the guy Posey was covering on a pass or an RB ran through him or his spo for a TD or large gain. Mo one ever could name these specific instances where Posey was desmonstrably bad and in the absence of confirming evidence I think it was fair to conclude that a player who logged maximum hours on a statititically successful F where no one could point to specific instamce or gametimes of his failings actually means he played well that year.

2005- The Bills D sucked and Posey was one of those who seem to clearly be at fault for this down turn. He always seem to be a step too slow when he rushed the passer nor could he stop the runner when someone like a Caddillac Williams challenged. Perhaps the issue was that Posey had simply given up when it became clear the D was going to have to carry the O as in 2003. Perhaps an older player he is just done, perhaps the D counter and playcalling by Fray was incorrect.

It matters little because the old braintriust is out and its new day under a D minded coach who will install a new system which will demand great reads and reactions by the LBs who also will be counted upon to pick up the trash as our athletic tackles blow through the gaps and pressure the QB and blow-up plays or the LBs have their backs when the DL guesses wrong.

Posey needs to look carefully this year at how Spikes is recovering, since if TKO is good enough to play Crowell who filled in for TKO admirably will be a real threat to start at OLB.

Given the extension of Stamer and Haggan, Posey is not getting sit on the bench money and probably is a goner this year.

The concept of Posey as an end is interesting, but nobody knows at this point. It is unclear how exactly the Bills will line up and play DL this year as one assumes the Marv cliche is operative here that a team must be able to run and also to stop the run. Given the top 4 DTs on the deoth chart all weigh 304 or less there will not be the Big Ted or Phat Pat run stopper in the middle and we are going to do something different this year.

Theoretically there is an opening where the back-up to Schobel is the illustrious Mark Word, but the addition of Posey as a DE add yet another lightweight guy to the DL and I will have to see it and see it work to believe this is a good thing.