Thuuuuuuuuuuuuu yankees win

njsue

I am very curious why my analysis and opinions about the evils of big money teams would lead you to the conclusion that I am in my teens???

My point is that small market teams (like the Buffalo Bills) would be uncompetitive with the New York's and Boston's of the world if it were not for the football salary cap.  Rooting for the Yanks or Red Sox with the unequal payrolls in baseball is rooting for General Motors, Walmart and McDonalds. 

I would think a true Bills fans heart would be a little more blue collar and understand that big and rich wiping out smaller and poorer is not something to root for.  Of course, you have the right to be a Yankee fan and "to each his (or her) own".  You were probably raised that way and can't help yourself. ;)  :lol:

52008[/snapback]

The Red Sox were #6 in payroll last year and the reason it went up so much this year was to compete with the Yankees.

Even after going up to 131 million in 2004, the gap widened from 54 million to 64 million this year as The Yankees went from 165 million to 195 million in payroll.

The Red Sox ownership have also said they won't go over the luxury tax level of 128 million next year.Meanwhile, the Yankees will sign Beltran and two pitchers raising their payroll to 220 million.

Yet Yankee fans still won't admit it's the biggest advantage in professional sports.

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

As a die-hard, life long Yankee Fan, I choose not to gloat until the end of the season, they Yankees face a road ahead that is killer, all teams in the play-offs this year do. I am happy as hell for the Division title, but with our shaky pitching, and the fact that Manny R, and David Ortiz can almost single handedly beat any team out there, I choose to root loudly but not to gloat just yet. And YES Gary Sheffield should be a leading candidate for AL MVP!

THUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUU Yankees have no pitching!!!!!!!!!!!!!

51666[/snapback]

I beg to differ- Mussina has beaten Pedro 2 straight times, then started in a win over Santana (neither got decision). Leiber is pitching great, as is El Duque. Vazquez threw his best game of the 2nd half yesterday, and Louiza showed signs of life last week.

Sturtze has looked phenomenol, plus Gordon, Quantrill, and Rivera will get the job done!

As a die-hard, life long Yankee Fan, I choose not to gloat until the end of the season, they Yankees face a road ahead that is killer, all teams in the play-offs this year do.  I am happy as hell for the Division title, but with our shaky pitching, and the fact that Manny R, and David Ortiz can almost single handedly beat any team out there, I choose to root loudly but not to gloat just yet.  And YES Gary Sheffield should be a leading candidate for AL MVP!

52045[/snapback]

Poojer,

thank you for seeing clearly, and proving that there are some "normal" yankees fans out there...

My point is that small market teams (like the Buffalo Bills) would be uncompetitive with the New York's and Boston's of the world if it were not for the football salary cap. Rooting for the Yanks or Red Sox with the unequal payrolls in baseball is rooting for General Motors, Walmart and McDonalds.

-----------------------------

this is terribly untrue. Look at the Marlins last year. Their payroll was 1/8 of the Yanks.

Look who is possibly going to the playoffs besides the Yanks and Boston.

Oakland and Minnesota are both considered small market teams. Even if Oakland doesn't make they are still very good.

Atlanta's payroll got slashed by 20 mill this year...they have the second best record in the NL.

KC was suppose to be competitive and had the players to do but got off to an awful start....

And FYI attendance is up 15% across the board this year.

Now Minnesota has to sweep Cleveland and hope Oakland or Anaheim doesnt sweep the other to avoid playing the Yankees in the ALDS.

51650[/snapback]

A divisional winner cannot face the wild card winner in the ALDS if both teams are in the same division. In 2002, standings would have dictated that the A's would face the Angles, but because both teams are in the AL West, the Angles faced the Yankees and the A's faced the Angles.

I can't remember exactly where, but if the A's (thinking very positively) win 2 of 3, and if Cleveland wins 2 of 3 against Minnesota, Oakland gets the home field advantage against the Red Sox because Oakland is the division winner (although the Red Sox will have the better record). The Yanks get Minnesota. I know I could be wrong, but I think that's how it stands.

I always hear Yankee fans talk about how "classy" they are...yet, after just about every win there's someone on the board gloating about the victory. Maybe it's just that I have a different definition of "classy" than these Yankee fans, but "classy" people don't gloat in victory, they're humble.

It’d be like a Bills fan going to a Pats board on Sunday night if the Bills won and rubbing it in…real “classy” (or more likely Pats fans coming here to do it to us…).

And to NJSue, for someone who started a thread about how the board “just isn’t the same” and people aren’t acting like “family” I find it ironic that you’d make personal attacks against people in this thread. Calling someone an “IDIOT” and saying to another poster, “maybe you’re still in your teens”. I guess you only mean that when it’s a poster attacking somebody you like. Whatever, pot meet kettle.

Occassionally a team will put together a young pitching staff and have the right mix of vets to make a run but then the next year they will lose a Pudge Rodriguez and make their way back to the middle of the pack.

Oakland will be shot in a couple of years when Mulder, Hudson et al go to the big money teams. Minnesota has a shot because no one spends money in the Central, but EVERY YEAR the Yankees make the playoffs. Sometimes they win, sometimes they lose but they are always there. If Clemens and Pettite leave bring in Vazquez and Brown. If they have bad years, go get Loaiza. If he doesn't work out who cares the starting lineup is an All-star team. So, now Boston follows suit and increases their payroll with Curt Schilling. And on and on it goes.

Try being a Pittsburgh Pirate fan or a Milwaukee Brewer fan or a kansas City Royals fan. The absolutely best you can hope for is that your farm system delivers some miracle and before the young phenoms flee for big money you put together a season or two.

Attendance is up because a lot of municipalites squandered a lot of money on spanking new ball parks. The novelty will wear off soon and then when the team loses year after year after year and all your best players are wearing pinstripes or red sox, it will go back down again.

So enjoy you followers of big money teams. Enjoy your superiority but remember as Bills fans, thank God for the salary cap in the NFL.

My point is that small market teams (like the Buffalo Bills) would be uncompetitive with the New York's and Boston's of the world if it were not for the football salary cap. Rooting for the Yanks or Red Sox with the unequal payrolls in baseball is rooting for General Motors, Walmart and McDonalds.

-----------------------------

this is terribly untrue. Look at the Marlins last year. Their payroll was 1/8 of the Yanks.

Look who is possibly going to the playoffs besides the Yanks and Boston.

Oakland and Minnesota are both considered small market teams. Even if Oakland doesn't make they are still very good.

Atlanta's payroll got slashed by 20 mill this year...they have the second best record in the NL.

KC was suppose to be competitive and had the players to do but got off to an awful start....

And FYI attendance is up 15% across the board this year.

52195[/snapback]

Oakland will be shot in a couple of years when Mulder, Hudson et al go to the big money teams. 

52295[/snapback]

Not necessarily true.

Mulder, Hudson, and Zito all have said, that if the A's let Chavez go, they will follow. Chavez is now signed through the 2010 season.

Even if the Big 3 do go, you now have Rich Harden who in reality, is the A's best pitcher right now. You have Joe Blanton, who tore up AAA this year, and impressed relieving Mulder against the Angels. Justin Lehr can be a very capable pitcher in the majors. Justin Duchscherer who is the long reliever, can be a good 4th or 5th Starter. That is with the assumption that all of the Big 3 will leave.

That simply is not true.

Hudson, Mulder, and Zito all want to stay. They all won't. My belief is that Hudson will stay for his entire career, Mulder might get some heavy interest, and that might price him out of the A's range. Zito I think really wants to go back to So Cal, and may be a great fit for the Dodgers.

Hudson, Mulder or Zito, Harden, Blanton, Lehr. That's really not a bad starting rotation.

Not necessarily true. 

Mulder, Hudson, and Zito all have said, that if the A's let Chavez go, they will follow.  Chavez is now signed through the 2010 season. 

Even if the Big 3 do go, you now have Rich Harden who in reality, is the A's best pitcher right now.  You have Joe Blanton, who tore up AAA this year, and impressed relieving Mulder against the Angels. Justin Lehr can be a very capable pitcher in the majors.  Justin Duchscherer who is the long reliever, can be a good 4th or 5th Starter.  That is with the assumption that all of the Big 3 will leave. 

That simply is not true.

Hudson, Mulder, and Zito all want to stay.  They all won't.  My belief is that Hudson will stay for his entire career, Mulder might get some heavy interest, and that might price him out of the A's range.  Zito I think really wants to go back to So Cal, and may be a great fit for the Dodgers.

Hudson, Mulder or Zito, Harden, Blanton, Lehr.  That's really not a bad starting rotation.

52323[/snapback]

Money changes everything. It's easy for a pitcher to say he wants to stay with his team. But let's see how they feel when the Sox, Yanks, Dodgers etc are offering a fat multi-million dollar contract.

Not necessarily true. 

Mulder, Hudson, and Zito all have said, that if the A's let Chavez go, they will follow.  Chavez is now signed through the 2010 season. 

Even if the Big 3 do go, you now have Rich Harden who in reality, is the A's best pitcher right now.  You have Joe Blanton, who tore up AAA this year, and impressed relieving Mulder against the Angels. Justin Lehr can be a very capable pitcher in the majors.  Justin Duchscherer who is the long reliever, can be a good 4th or 5th Starter.  That is with the assumption that all of the Big 3 will leave. 

That simply is not true.

Hudson, Mulder, and Zito all want to stay.  They all won't.  My belief is that Hudson will stay for his entire career, Mulder might get some heavy interest, and that might price him out of the A's range.  Zito I think really wants to go back to So Cal, and may be a great fit for the Dodgers.

Hudson, Mulder or Zito, Harden, Blanton, Lehr.  That's really not a bad starting rotation.

52323[/snapback]

again, good call...in my opinion, we'll keep mulder and hudson, but zito will go...we have duscherer as a serviceable 5th starter, lehr as the future closer, and blanton whos gonna be another great one...i dont see it being too much of a problem...i do think we need to upgrade our middle relief tho, i dont trust mecir/rhodes at all...

Money changes everything. It's easy for a pitcher to say he wants to stay with his team. But let's see how they feel when the Sox, Yanks, Dodgers etc are offering a fat multi-million dollar contract.

52471[/snapback]

Chavez could have signed for an easy $16 to $20 Million per year. He signed with Oakland for $11 Million per. It's more about being where you're comfortable than going somewhere for the big money. (Reference Jason Giambi.)

again, good call...in my opinion, we'll keep mulder and hudson, but zito will go...we have duscherer as a serviceable 5th starter, lehr as the future closer, and blanton whos gonna be another great one...i dont see it being too much of a problem...i do think we need to upgrade our middle relief tho, i dont trust mecir/rhodes at all...

52511[/snapback]

Mecir, Rhodes, Rincon, Hammond...

The only one I have any sense of faith in is Bradford.

I gotta ask.  From an A's fan perspective, who do you NOT want to play in the playoffs (you should take 2-3 from Ana)?

(sorry if you answered this above)

52557[/snapback]

MINNESOTA!!! One reason, that dammed Metrodome!

RedSox? If the A's bat's wake up, and the pitching suddenly comes together, close series.

Yankees? If the A's bat's wake up, and the pitching suddenly comes together, A's win in 4.

If the A's bat's dont wake up, and the pitching stays status quo, same old, same old... :)

MINNESOTA!!!  One reason, that dammed Metrodome! 

RedSox?  If the A's bat's wake up, and the pitching suddenly comes together, close series. 

Yankees? If the A's bat's wake up, and the pitching suddenly comes together, A's win in 4.

If the A's bat's dont wake up, and the pitching stays status quo, same old, same old...  :)

52559[/snapback]

I hope if you do make it, you can knock off the Yanks.

As a Sox fan, I think we can take the A's. Unless the pitching gets back to form.

I the Minnesota can knock off the yanks. Santana and Radke for three games is tough to beat. That Minnesota pen worries me tho, Yanks seem to hit them well.

If I were a Yankee fan, I'd MUCH rather have won the wild-card and get to face the West winner, as others have mentioned, and let Boston toil with Santana and the Twins.

Do you guys REALLY understand the bind you're in now? Look at Santana's game logs post All-Star break... In all likelihood, you guys will need Mussina (or whoever) to hold the Twins to 2 runs or less in Game 1, or else you're off to an 0-1 deficit in the series. Then, if that happens, you need to sweep the next three games (including, I think, two in the Metrodome), or else risk facing Santana again to decide the series.

This is BAD news, guys. Add to that, the Twins have become playoff veterans in recent years, and this really feels like their season to take the next step.

Then again, the Yankees have owned the Twins the past couple of seasons, so you have that going for you... but in baseball, those kinds of streaks are meant to be broken... I would be quite the concerned Yankee fan right now.