CUTTING TO 53:

Getting the team to its final 53 will be a tough job for the Bills Staff.

Here are some of the toughest IMHO:

OLB (Keep Probably 4, Cut 3) -- Cut Posey? Haggan? Your new draft pick? ST Ace Stamer?

Jeff Posey

Takeo Spikes

Angelo Crowell

Mario Haggan

Josh Stamer

Keith Ellison

Wendell Hunter

DT (Keep Probably 4-5, Cut 3-4) -- Cut Fan Fave Sape? PassRusher Jefferson? Your draft pick Williams?

Larry Tripplett

Tim Anderson

John McCargo

Jason Jefferson

Kyle Williams

Lauvale Sape

Tai Tupai

LaWaylon Brown

OG (Keep Probably 4-5 out of 8: Cut 3-4) -- Merz to PS? Can Anderson?

Chris Villarrial

Tutan Reyes

Duke Preston

Dylan McFarland

Justin Geisinger (OC)

Bennie Anderson

Jason Thomas

Aaron Merz

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I never reply to my own posts, but here's one more tough choice:

WR (Keep 5-6; Cut 4-5) -- Roscoe? Bye Fast Freddie? Hello Mr. Wilson? Parrish the Thought?

Lee Evans

Andre' Davis

Peerless Price

Sam Aiken

George Wilson

Martin Nance

Josh Reed

Jonathan Smith

Chris Denney

Roscoe Parrish

Getting the team to its final 53 will be a tough job for the Bills Staff.

Here are some of the toughest IMHO:

OLB  (Keep Probably 4, Cut 3) -- Cut Posey? Haggan? Your new draft pick? ST Ace Stamer?

Jeff Posey

Takeo Spikes

Angelo Crowell

Mario Haggan

Josh Stamer

Keith Ellison

Wendell Hunter

DT (Keep Probably 4-5, Cut 3-4) -- Cut Fan Fave Sape? PassRusher Jefferson? Your draft pick Williams?

Larry Tripplett

Tim Anderson

John McCargo

Jason Jefferson

Kyle Williams

Lauvale Sape

Tai Tupai

LaWaylon Brown

Chris Villarrial

Tutan Reyes

Duke Preston

Dylan McFarland

Justin Geisinger (OC)

Bennie Anderson

Jason Thomas

Aaron Merz

685305[/snapback]

OLB is tough, I think the 4th OLB spot will be between Ellison and Stamer all camp long, but if I had to guess I'd say keep Spikes, Crowell, Posey and Stamer.

Ellison goes on the Practice Squad.

DT seems pretty easy to me. Keep Trips, Anderson, McCargo and Williams and cut everyone else. Sorry Sape fan club, it was fun while it lasted but we actually have somewhat decent depth now (at least on paper for the Cover 2).

For OG I'd keep Villarial, Reyes, Preston, McFarland and Geisinger. Bennie The Penalty has to go, even for depth purposes he's a liability IMO. Merz to the Practice Squad (Although dont ask me why, but I have a good feeling about this kid. Good feeling as in "future starter". Cant explain it...just a feeling.)

I think the Bills end up carrying 6 WRs this year, so that'll mean Evans, Price, Reed, Parrish, Davis and (hopefully) Nance makes the team. Its a shame that Aiken will have to go bye-bye but just being a good special teams player isnt enough these days. He hasnt shown a damn thing as a WR in years, so its off to the unemployment line with him.

Its obviously silly to try and cut down to 53 when minicamps arent even over yet, I'm sure my opinion will change once I see how everyone does in camp. We always have one or two surprises that jump out and make the squad.

WR (Keep 5-6; Cut 4-5) -- Roscoe? Bye Fast Freddie? Hello Mr. Wilson? Parrish the Thought?

Lee Evans

Andre' Davis

Peerless Price

Sam Aiken

George Wilson

Martin Nance

Josh Reed

Jonathan Smith

Chris Denney

Roscoe Parrish

685312[/snapback]

The major move I question with Marv is the re-signing of Josh Reed. I'm sure he a nice guy and tries hard. And he was a great college player and had a good first year. But other than that, he has been a bust. He drops way too many passes and wore one eyepatch (he should have been cut on the spot for that :w00t: ). Taken away his catch and run in garbage time against, can anyone remember a big play he has made. I think it is time to cut bait and move on.

Its obviously silly to try and cut down to 53 when minicamps arent even over yet,

685324[/snapback]

Silly but still fun. I fart in the general direction of those who don't like threads like this.

OLB (Keep Probably 4, Cut 3) -- Cut Posey? Haggan? Your new draft pick? ST Ace Stamer?

Jeff Posey

Takeo Spikes

Angelo Crowell

Mario Haggan

Josh Stamer

Keith Ellison

Wendell Hunter

May keep 5 depending on how well TKO comes back.

Jeff Posey

Takeo Spikes

Angelo Crowell

Mario Haggan

Josh Stamer

Larry Tripplett

Tim Anderson

John McCargo

Jason Jefferson

Kyle Williams

Lauvale Sape

Tai Tupai

LaWaylon Brown

I say 5

3-tech:

Larry Tripplett

John McCargo

1-tech:

Tim Anderson

Kyle Williams

late cut from another team

Chris Villarrial

Tutan Reyes

Duke Preston

Dylan McFarland

Justin Geisinger (OC)

Bennie Anderson

Jason Thomas

Aaron Merz

I say 4

Chris Villarrial

Tutan Reyes

Duke Preston

late cut from another team

Geisinger to stick at backup C

Lee Evans

Andre' Davis

Peerless Price

Sam Aiken

George Wilson

Martin Nance

Josh Reed

Jonathan Smith

Chris Denney

Roscoe Parrish

Keep 6

Lee Evans

Peerless Price

Josh Reed

Roscoe Parrish

Andre' Davis

Sam Aiken

The major move I question with Marv is the re-signing of Josh Reed.  I'm sure he a nice guy and tries hard.  And he was a great college player and had a good first year.  But other than that, he has been a bust.  He drops way too many passes and wore one eyepatch (he should have been cut on the spot for that  :lol: ).  Taken away his catch and run in garbage time against, can anyone remember a big play he has made.  I think it is time to cut bait and move on.

685327[/snapback]

you can't be serious :lol: he drop less than evans/moulds on per catch rate

he was the only wr last year to be consistent

sometimes I think bill fans are the ones that are wearing the eye patches with their tunnel vision :w00t:

you can't be serious :lol:  he drop less than evans/moulds on per catch rate

he was the only wr last year to be a sure thing

sometimes I think bill fans are the ones that are wearing the eye patches with their tunnel vision :w00t:

685337[/snapback]

Are you being serious? I always give the players the benefit of the doubt but I just don't see what Josh Reed is bringing to the table. He is a good blocker but my patience is just wore out with him. He is essential Jeremy McDaniel. I guess we'll have to agree to disagree. :lol::)

You HAVE to keep five LBs, it's a given, with Spikes' injury (they kept SIX even when Spikes was healthy).  Spikes-Fletch-Posey-Crowell-Stamer-Ellison.

685339[/snapback]

Astro said OLBs, not all LBs.

I'll add Fletch & Ezekial to my list for a total of 7, Ellison to the PS.

Lee Evans

Andre' Davis

Peerless Price

Sam Aiken

George Wilson

Martin Nance

Josh Reed

Jonathan Smith

Chris Denney

Roscoe Parrish

685312[/snapback]

Its been in the back of my mind for a while now that out of the group of Davis, Price, and Reed, one man is going to start and one man is going to be cut - and you could probably make a case either way. I can't see cutting Parrish, a second-round pick, after just one year, so I put Parrish and Evans as locks, although Parrish will be #3 at best. That leaves Davis, Price, and Reed fighting for two spots, and Aiken, Nance, and Smith fighting for a special teams spot. I don't see how Wilson and Denney have a chance for anything other than the Practice Squad.

That's a crowded group, so there's probably going to be a lot of prayers from those guys that we keep a 6th WR this year.... The 6th guy could be the loser of the Davis, Price, Reed derby vs. Smith vs. needs at other positions.

JDG

My early bold prediction for a training camp shocker is Stamer and Ellison beating out Posey for a roster spot... Posey has "veteran camp cut" written all over him.... he's very fortunate that he only has to beat out Stamer and a rookie 6th rounder - it might save his job for another year.

JDG

My early bold prediction for a training camp shocker is Stamer and Ellison beating out Posey for a roster spot...    Posey has "veteran camp cut" written all over him....   he's very fortunate that he only has to beat out Stamer and a rookie 6th rounder - it might save his job for another year.

JDG

685350[/snapback]

You could be right... I would have thought he would be gone by now though if they didn't plan on using his "skills", maybe as a designated pass-rusher ala Colvin (as someone else suggested).

My early bold prediction for a shocker is Troy Vincent... I think they'll like the fresher legs of some of the younger pros over the experience he would provide.

My DBs:

CBs

McGee

Nate

King

Youbouty

S

Bowen

Baker

Whitner

Simpson

ETA: Greer may be safe as well depending on numbers kept at other positions... still think Vincent is gone.

You HAVE to keep five LBs, it's a given, with Spikes' injury (they kept SIX even when Spikes was healthy).  Spikes-Fletch-Posey-Crowell-Stamer-Ellison.

685339[/snapback]

Well looking at some of the replies i think i need to propse another question, since they are going to a cover 2 and jauron has stated you need 5 or 6 good corners in order to be successful how many will the keep in the DB/FS/SS slots typically this is a 5-2-2 with WR at 6 if they bum it up one or 2 what position will get the hit. I think WR will only get 5 with one on the practice squad. and wihter corner or safety will have an extra spot.

Also wanted to note that Duke Preston is either going to start or back up at center but could also fill in at guard which is why hes seen on the guard depth chart but hes not going to be a cut.

WR- i think the first 4 might be a lock with Evans, Price, Reed(he is a solid slot receiver) and Parrish(hes also a return man keeps his value up) Leaving 1 spot to fight for between davis aiken and smith but also the 6'4 nance(option for practice squad too). Aiken hasnt impressed me his entre time here and davis is only an injury away from being cut but I think Davis is the Lead here since he could be 3rd on the depth chart if hes healthy(based soley on his potetntial).

IF any lind backer gets cut above stamer I expect it too be Posey for salary cap reasons. But i see them keeping al the line backers above stamer.

DT- Honestly I dont see Tim Anderson being too safe here. Which would only leave one more hard decision here.

However, i think its always a hard decision to cut players.

have no idea who stays or who goes on the Offensive Line, they are that bad

So without the Offensive Line I think I have the roster down to 41, figure 8-10 for the Oline plus a couple ST'ers, sleepers, diamonds in the rough, or a vet pickup to be named later brings the roster to 53...

QB - 3

Holcomb

Losman

Nall

RB - 4

Gates

McGahee

Thomas

Williams

FB - 1

Shelton

TE - 3

Euhus

Everett

Royal

WR - 5

Davis

Evans

Parrish

Price

Reed

OLine

?????

P - 1

Mooreman

K - 1

Lindell

DE - 4

Denney

Kelsay

Rice

Schobel

DT - 4

Anderson

McCargo

Tripplett

Williams

LB - 6

Crowell

Fletcher

Haggan

Posey

Spikes

Stamer

CB - 5

Clements

Greer

King

McGee

Youboty

S - 4

Bowen

Simpson

Vincent

Whitner

I think Mike Shneck makes the roster again, and is worth it.

I think Posey stick and Mario Haggan is cut. Yes, he just re-signed, but it's all salary, no signing bonus (no penalty to cut).

I think the Bills continue their tradition of putting a draftee from last year on the PS while putting this year's selections on the 53 man roster to protect them, at least initially.

Could we end up going with 2 QBs? I normally wouldn't think so, but that roster spot is valuable, and I have a hard time picturing Holcomb being okay with being the 3rd QB. (I suspect they'll want Losman to start and Holcome as backup, but if Losman is hurt or pulled, Nall gets the next start, with Holcomb still the backup).

Don't get me started... I analyze and attack!

QB: 3

Craig Nall

Kelly Holcomb

JP Losman (scrub)

RB: 4

Willis McGahee

Anthony Thomas

Shaud Williams

Lionel Gates? If anyone, cut him...

FB: 1

Shelton OR Goldsberry

WR: 6

Lee Evans

Peerless Price

Andre Davis

Martin Nance - The guy is 6'4" and very talented, Red Zone guru?

Roscoe Parrish

Sam Aiken

Dear GOD get rid of Josh Reed.

TE: 3

Tim Euhus

Robert Royal

Kevin Everett

O-Line: 4 Tackles, 3 Guards.

C: 2

Fowler

Preston

K: 1 duh

Lindell

P: 1 duh

Moorman

DT: 3

Larry Triplett

Kyle Williams

John McCargo

DE: 4

Aaron Schobel

Chris Kelsay

Ryan Denney

(pulling the upset) Mark Word

LB: 7

London Fletcher

TKO

Jeff Posey

Josh Stamer

Angelo Crowell

Mario Haggan

Wendell Hunter

CB: 5

Nate Clements

Terrence McGee

Ashton Youboty

Eric King

Kiwaukee Thomas

S: 4

Matt Bowen

Troy Vincent

Donte Whitner

Ko Simpson

(sorry Coy and Rashad, your time is up)

LS:

Mike Schneck.

Meh, I'm off, but that's who I'd keep.

OFFENSIVE COMMENTS!

I think one surprises will be George Wilson (WR) stealing Aiken and/or Reed's spot.

I love the Martin Nance pick in the Red Zone IF he can gain separation down there and our QB can get him the ball up top.

Most everyone's saying Euhus-Everett-Royal for our TE's. I agree.

And with this Line, we better keep 3 QB's.

DEFENSIVE COMMENTS!

I think we keep 7 LB's. Ezekial is dumb as a rock, and will go. Haggan isn't the player Crowell is, and will go. I think Ellison is one of the 53. The wild card is Stamer, as he's not very fast but is great at ST.

My other surprise would be Rashad Baker stealing Bowen's spot at Safety.

My other surprise would be Rashad Baker stealing Bowen's spot at Safety.

685436[/snapback]

I say Bowen and Baker are the starters Week 1 at New England.

Whitner will be starting for Bowen a few weeks later,

Simpson will be starting for Baker next year.

The major move I question with Marv is the re-signing of Josh Reed.  I'm sure he a nice guy and tries hard.  And he was a great college player and had a good first year.  But other than that, he has been a bust.  He drops way too many passes and wore one eyepatch (he should have been cut on the spot for that  :w00t: ).  Taken away his catch and run in garbage time against, can anyone remember a big play he has made.  I think it is time to cut bait and move on.

685327[/snapback]

Against NE last year he had a 40 + yard TD reception that was only 10 or 15 in the air the rest he ran for.. it was the most impressive YAC we had...was snowing if you remember

one of the beauties of having players that can play many positions on your offensive line is this, you'll suit up 8, maybe nine total.

My current starting line up

Peters-Reyes-Fowler-Villarrial-Gandy (i'd move gandy over to RT, as a LT he lacks the quickness, as a RT he is ideal)

with three suited back ups, maybe four if players are playing hurt. three main back ups are, Preston (guard or center) Gibson (guard of tackle, assuming he is healthy and in shape) or Anderson (either guard) and Jerman or a rookie tackle. If Peters gets hurt, move gandy to LT, and jerman in. and so forth

6 LBs, and they are Crowell, Fletcher, Spikes (when healthy) Haggan (special teamer) Ellison (special teamer) and Stamer (special teamer) notice no Posey, I'd make Posey a PRS, if I keep him.

CB 5, Clements, Youboty, McGee, King, Baker (or vincent)

4 safeties Vincent (or Baker) Simpson, Whitner, Bowen. i might consider moving Vincent back to CB if Simpson is learning fast enough, because he is the future of the FS spot. and Vincent is still quick enough to play in the cover 2.

DT 5, heavy rotation, Tripplett, McCargo, Anderson, Williams, and Jefferson (he has the size and quickness for the 1 or 3)

DE 4

Schobel, Denney, Kelsey, and Posey

WR 5 Evans, Price, Reed, parrish, Nance or davis

qb 3 Nall, Losman, Holcomb

RB 3 Mcgahee, Thomas (if healthy) and Williams or (if I were coach) Reed-reed started off at LSU as a RB, LSU RBs are typically good at catching the ball out of the back field and picking up blitzes at 5'10 210ish he has better 3rd down back size and creates issues, he also can run the ball (I hope)

TE 3 Royal, Euhus, Everett

lindell, Moorman, and the LS

didn't do the math, but remaining spots should be taken by players able to be Special teamers