Its Not Like Marv is Prone to Panic....

JDG

Before the draft, I noted that Marv Levy seemed to have really played the free agency process well - landing a likely starter in Tutan Reyes and a backup who will likely receive significant playing time for us this year in Anthony Thomas in the week before the draft. That's a pretty nice move if you can pull it..... almost any veteran wants to be signed before the draft, and just based on the timing of the signings it is clear that the Bills had all the leverage in the world in negotiating whatever contracts Reyes and Thomas signed. Even though we had interviewed them earlier, we wanted until the terms were right for us.

All I'm saying is that Levy isn't afraid to play poker, and so if he made his move on Whitner and McCargo a little early, I'm inclined to give him the benefit of the doubt....

Why do you think Anthony Thomas will get significant carries? I don't think he'll even make the team...He couldn't even get on the field in Dallas, and they didn't have a good rushing year at all. Then again neither could Peerless Price.

Why do you think Anthony Thomas will get significant carries? I don't think he'll even make the team...He couldn't even get on the field in Dallas, and they didn't have a good rushing year at all. Then again neither could Peerless Price.

682136[/snapback]

Dallas has two quality backs in Julius Jones and Marion Barber. The fact that Thomas didn't get much work there doesn't mean he won't be the primary back up here. Neither Shaud Williams nor Lionel Gates are anywhere near as good as either of those backs.

I have no idea what type of shape Thomas is in but if he's anywhere near the back he was a few years ago he's light years better than any backup the Bills currently have on their roster. I haven't been happy with a lot of the things Levy and Co. have done thus far but A-Train was a good signing.

682136[/snapback]

He may not get a signifcant number of carries if we overuse WM as we done the past two years. However, I think he is likely a better runner than Shaud Williams even having lost a step from his 1000 yard days.

If this turns out to be the case (which i think it will unless Shaud has improved a lot which can happen with a youngster) then we will go to Thomas as our primary #2. Do you have a lot of faith in Shaud Williams?

Overuse WM??????? I think we underuse him...how can you say we overuse him? He comes out every 3rd down. I have more faith in Shaud than I do in A-Thomas. Shaud was good in the limited carries he got last year. I mean, when the only carries he gets is on 3rd and 15 and he gains 12...that's not too bad. Anyway, bottom line for me is whoever can get it done should be in there when Willis needs a rest.

I think Shaud played well last year, but he is not a reliable #2. The Bills looked at the game tape last year when Willis was out and realized they needed a guy who has proven he can play on Sundays, even if he hasn't done it a lot. Thomas was a very good back in Chicago and he is still a skilled player and a reliable back up. Willis will get a lot more playing time this year on third downs than he did last year, mainly because I think he proved towards the end of last season that his hands were good enough to catch some passes. However, Thomas is a versatile back and will be able to come in and perform consistently when Willis is taking a breather. Good signing. And with an improved core of lineman in Fowler, Reyes and the return of Villarial, I think the Bills will have much more success running the ball between the tackles this offseason.

I think Shaud played well last year, but he is not a reliable #2.  The Bills looked at the game tape last year when Willis was out and realized they needed a guy who has proven he can play on Sundays, even if he hasn't done it a lot.  Thomas was a very good back in Chicago and he is still a skilled player and a reliable back up.  Willis will get a lot more playing time this year on third downs than he did last year, mainly because I think he proved towards the end of last season that his hands were good enough to catch some passes.  However, Thomas is a versatile back and will be able to come in and perform consistently when Willis is taking a breather.  Good signing.  And with an improved core of lineman in Fowler, Reyes and the return of Villarial, I think the Bills will have much more success running the ball between the tackles this offseason.

682158[/snapback]

There is next to nothing that would lead me to believe, 4 years removed from his last even mediocre season, and 6 years removed from his one good season, that Anthony Thomas is going to be any good at all. He may not make the team. He is not really a good receiver. No one wanted him. He signed for league minimum.

Overuse WM??????? I think we underuse him...how can you say we overuse him? He comes out every 3rd down. I have more faith in Shaud than I do in A-Thomas. Shaud was good in the limited carries he got last year. I mean, when the only carries he gets is on 3rd and 15 and he gains 12...that's not too bad. Anyway, bottom line for me is whoever can get it done should be in there when Willis needs a rest.

682147[/snapback]

Actually you are correct in terms of last season where quite frankly the entire O was underused because they were so ineffective they were not on the field alot abd I was wrong to talk about him as being overused last year..

However, my sense of him being overused was developed during our winning streak the year before where we pounded the ball because we were ahead and ran WM over 30 times in several games as we burned clock. it was neat to watch as we were winning but it was during this streak I began to lament the lack of a reasonable #2 RB, Shaud did little last season to build on the 1 at nea 100 yard game he had as a riookie.

In someways the sitting of WM on 3rd down occured because the best part of Shauds game was as a third down back. I liked Shaud in 3rd don but you can't be saying what your post implies that 12 yards per carry was anywhere neat the norm for Shaud

I have no problem signing Atrain for the min. I think it's pretty likely that he doesn't make the team. In fact, I'm kind of hoping he doesn't. It means one of the kids outplayed him. GREAT!

It was a good signing. Competition for spots on our team is a good thing.

I'm not saying that A-T will start or anything. Quite the contrary. Willis is obviously number one in the RB camp hands down. All I'm saying is that having a seasoned veteran who can do an adequate job when Willis needs a play or two off on a long drive is a good thing.

Further, just because he hasn't had playing time does not mean he can't play. Big difference. A-T was brought into Dallas last year when Julius Jones was hurt, because they needed a reliable veteran to back up Marion Butler in the event that he too got hurt. He didn't, and so A-T was not going to get any playing time.

If nothing else he can provide some competition for the young guys behind McGahee, particularly Gates who is more in the big bruising back mold. Also, A-T is a better pass blocking back than Willis, so he could help him improve there. Not saying anything more than this is not a bad signing.

I think that Thomas gets a significant number of carries for us. For one, he has ties to Jauron, and I think that Jauron likes him. Secondly, based on our draft, other offseason moves, and Jauron's history I think that we are building (rather than paying lip-service to) a conservative, physical, defensive-minded team. Thus, I think that Jauron wants to bring in a physical change-of-pace back to spell McGahee, rather than the finesse guy in Shaud Williams. So, I see us running McGahee as the feature back, and then bringing in Thomas to keep up the physical pressure on defenses when we need a change of pace.

JDG

I think you are exactly right. He will spell McGahee for short periods and will be expected to do so with consistency. He is never going to be a feature back for us or anyone else, but he could be a very reliable back up for us over the next few years. This is still a good signing.

A-Trains knees are shot. Everyone forgets that he went ot the saints last year and was there 4th string runner I believe. He wont make the team. I have hope in most players that the Bills bring in....but there is no chance for A-train. Shaud and Gates are way better than him already. Seriously......I'm surprised he passed the physical.

I think you are exactly right.  He will spell McGahee for short periods and will be expected to do so with consistency.  He is never going to be a feature back for us or anyone else, but he could be a very reliable back up for us over the next few years.  This is still a good signing.

682518[/snapback]

There is nothing reliable about him. He hasn't started since being in Chicago. He is very injury prone and he hasn't even been a backup since his days in Chicago. We all need to remember that RBs dont last long in the league. A-train is a prime example.

The A-Train signing is actually a pretty good signing IF he makes the team and can handle 7-10 carries a game or more depending on the situation. Nothing against Shaud Williams but when given the chance last year to get some carries for WM, he didn't get it done. Granted, the offensive (both from the Offensive point of view and Offensive as in stinking) play calling was horrible and SW wasn't used properly when given the chance. I do recall a couple games where WM was taken out on 3rd and short and SW was brought in. MM called a draw or delay to SW which was stuffed for a loss, which I think anyone watching the game knew that MM was calling that play instead of maybe using SW on a swing pass or something better suited for him.

Regardless, SW isn't going to be an every down back if WM goes down for half a game or longer and the Bills went out and signed at least someone who will compete for the spot as the primary backup to WM. Sure, Gates is on the roster and will also be competing but AT does have experience and training camp competition never hurts.

There is next to nothing that would lead me to believe, 4 years removed from his last even mediocre season, and 6 years removed from his one good season, that Anthony Thomas is going to be any good at all. He may not make the team. He is not really a good receiver. No one wanted him. He signed for league minimum.

682160[/snapback]

3 and 5 (not 4 and 6), but who's counting? he's a credible backup who should be able to follow a gameplan and not mess things up. one thing about did surprise me: only seven fumbles in his entire career, and five came in his second season.

http://www.nfl.com/players/playerpage/235248

assuming mcgahee stays healthy, if A-train ends up with 375 yards, averages 3.7-3.8 yds a carry, gets 3 tds, and doesn't fumble, we should all be happy. those are credible backup numbers, and the best we will have had since the days of jonathan linton.

3 and 5 (not 4 and 6), but who's counting? he's a credible backup who should be able to follow a gameplan and not mess things up.  one thing about did surprise me: only seven fumbles in his entire career, and five came in his second season.

assuming mcgahee stays healthy, if A-train ends up with 375 yards, averages 3.7-3.8 yds a carry, gets 3 tds, and doesn't fumble, we should all be happy. those are credible backup numbers, and the best we will have had since the days of jonathan linton.

682766[/snapback]

just to add:

look at the record of woe that is the bills #2 running back in this century. thomas surely is an improvement on what we've had in that regard in recent times. click on the link, go down to running backs, then go up again and click on the previous year. keep doing it -- it's grim statistical evidence, but worth knowing.

http://www.pro-football-reference.com/teams/buf2005.htm

3 and 5 (not 4 and 6), but who's counting? he's a credible backup who should be able to follow a gameplan and not mess things up.  one thing about did surprise me: only seven fumbles in his entire career, and five came in his second season.

682766[/snapback]

My bad. When I checked his stats they listed two different teams under 2005 and I didnt notice it. :doh: So it looked like 4 and 6.

http://profootballreference.com/players/ThomAn01.htm

Still he hasn't played a lot or well in 5 years. No one wanted him. The Bills looked at him before and didn't sign him under the same circumstances. He's not that great a receiver so he is not going to be a third down back. So that means one less game day roster spot if you're going to dress him. So a special teams ace like Joe Burns doesn't play. Frankly, I am thinking and I am hoping that perhaps Gates beats Thomas out. Not necessarily betting on it but I think there is a good to decent chance of it.