Bills sign UDFA Martin Nance WR

This guy might be interesting. Football's Future had him as their #4 WR and a 1st day selection. :

Martin Nance WR 6’4 213 Miami(OH)

By: Robert Davis

NFL Combine Stats: 40-yard dash - 4.58

When people started to take notice of Ben Roethlisberger his junior year, people had no choice but to notice Big Ben’s top target, sophomore Martin Nance. He absolutely exploded onto the college football map that year with 90 catches for 1,498 yards and 11 touchdowns. As a junior, he was off to another fast start. In the first four games of the 2004 season, Nance had 25 catches for 337 yards, and a touchdown. On the first play of the 5th game that season however, Nance injured his knee and missed the rest of the season. He came back this season looking to re-establish himself. Nance did just that, finishing with 81 receptions, 1,107 yards, for 14 touchdowns.

Martin Nance is a flat out playmaker. At 6’5, with great athleticism, and jumping ability, he is nearly unstoppable in one on one situations. He’s not just big though, he has good straight-line speed. He can get deep, and make plays vertically. Some people questioned if his success in 2003 was due to Roethlisberger, but he showed early on in 2004, and has shown again this year that he is a talent.

Even though he is showing he is back from the knee injury in 2004, it is something teams will look into. Even though the MAC has gained some respect nationally, it still is not the most talented conference out there. With just over two years of experience on the field, he has not faced the most talented corners in college.

Nance fits the mold of the big, tall, athletic receiver teams have become enamored with lately. He has all the talent to develop in the NFL. Nance struggled at the combine, running a 4.58 40 and struggling to catch the ball in drills, and that hurt his stock. He should still hear his name called on the first day of the draft.

Bills | Team signs UDFA M. Nance

Sun, 30 Apr 2006 23:24:13 -0700

The Journal-News reports the Buffalo Bills have signed undrafted rookie free agent WR Martin Nance (Miami (Ohio)). "It's a done deal," Nance said Sunday night, April 30, from his home in St. Louis. "I'm headed to Buffalo on Thursday. That's when they'll have their minicamp."

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

That's awesome! He's pretty much considered by everyone to be the best UDFA out there. I still don't understand why he went from being a top 10 ranked WR on most sites to UDFA. Unfortunately for him, he'll REALLY have to be something special to make this squad and contribute:

Lee Evans

Peerless Price

Josh Reed

Roscoe Parrish

Andre' Davis

Martin Nance

Sam Aiken

Jonathan Smith

George Wilson

Top 50 Undrafted ( http://www.nfldraftcountdown.com ). #1!!! Good job Marv!

1. Martin Nance, WR, Miami (OH)

2. Spencer Havner, OLB, U.C.L.A.

3. Kai Parham, ILB, Virginia

4. Anwar Phillips, CB, Penn St.

5. Darrell Hunter, CB, Miami (OH)

6. Charles Gordon, CB, Kansas

7. Greg Lee, WR, Pittsburgh

8. Andre Hall, RB, South Florida

9. Brian Iwuh, OLB, Colorado

10. Hank Baskett, WR, New Mexico

11. Darrell Hackney, QB, U.A.B.

12. Eric Henderson, DE, Georgia Tech

13. DonTrell Moore, RB, New Mexico

14. Tim Day, TE, Oregon

15. Jahmile Addae, S, West Virginia

16. Marcus Vick, QB, Virginia Tech

17. Mike Bell, RB, Arizona

18. Adam Stenavich, OG, Michigan

19. Charlton Keith, DE, Kansas

20. Mike Kudla, DE, Ohio St.

21. Taurean Henderson, RB, Texas Tech

22. Mike Degory, C, Florida

23. Dion Byrum, CB, Ohio

24. Patrick Ross, C, Boston College

25. Derek Morris, OT, North Carolina St.

26. Dale Robinson, ILB, Arizona St.

27. Manaia Brown, DT, B.Y.U.

28. McKinley Boykin, DT, Ole Miss

29. Greg Threat, S, Miami (FL)

30. Miles Austin, WR, Monmouth

31. Troy Reddick, OT, Auburn

32. Darrell Brooks, S, Arizona

33. Gerald Riggs, Jr., RB, Tennessee

34. Copeland Bryan, DE, Arizona

35. Cameron Vaughn, OLB, L.S.U.

36. John Torp, P, Colorado

37. Tommy Jackson, DT, Auburn

38. Oliver Hoyte, ILB, North Carolina St.

39. Brett Basanez, QB, Northwestern

40. Quadtrine Hill, FB, Miami (FL)

41. Chijioke Onyenegecha, CB, Oklahoma

42. Steve Fifita, DT, Utah

43. Erik Meyer, QB, Eastern Michigan

44. Willie Evans, DE, Mississippi St.

45. Cooper Wallace, TE, Auburn

46. Justin Holland, QB, Colorado St.

47. Barrick Nealy, QB, Texas St.

48. John Busing, OLB, Miami (OH)

49. Scott Ware, S, Southern Cal

50. Manase Hopoi, DT, Washington

Strengths:

Has tremendous size and a big frame...Is a major threat in the red zone...Is underrated athletically...Good leaper who knows how to go up and get the ball...Has big, strong, reliable hands...Will make the acrobatic catch...Physical and knows how to use his body...Tough player who is more than willing to go over the middle...Solid route runner...Intangibles are top notch...Very productive.

Weaknesses:

May not always play up to his timed speed...Is not very quick...Isn't an explosive athlete...Could have trouble getting separation against pro defensive backs...Probably won't be a major deep threat at the pro level...Will lose focus at times...Has missed some time due to injury...If he doesn't run well in workouts teams may downgrade his upside to that of a #2 or possession receiver.

Notes:

Had a monster season in 2003 (90 rec. for 1,498 yards and 11 touchdowns) as Ben Roethlisberger's main target...Missed most of the 2004 season with an ACL injury to his left knee...Based on size, speed and production this guy has just about everything you look for and is potentially a #1 receiver at the next level.

Strengths:

Has tremendous size and a big frame...Is a major threat in the red zone...Is underrated athletically...Good leaper who knows how to go up and get the ball...Has big, strong, reliable hands...Will make the acrobatic catch...Physical and knows how to use his body...Tough player who is more than willing to go over the middle...Solid route runner...Intangibles are top notch...Very productive.

Weaknesses:

May not always play up to his timed speed...Is not very quick...Isn't an explosive athlete...Could have trouble getting separation against pro defensive backs...Probably won't be a major deep threat at the pro level...Will lose focus at times...Has missed some time due to injury...If he doesn't run well in workouts teams may downgrade his upside to that of a #2 or possession receiver.

Notes:

Had a monster season in 2003 (90 rec. for 1,498 yards and 11 touchdowns) as Ben Roethlisberger's main target...Missed most of the 2004 season with an ACL injury to his left knee...Based on size, speed and production this guy has just about everything you look for and is potentially a #1 receiver at the next level.

679323[/snapback]

Sounds a lot like Chris Burkett who had some very good seasons for the Bills until Andre Reed showed up in town. If so, Nance sounds like a great FA pickup.

Do we keep six WRs?  Evans, Davis, Parrish, Reed, Price, Nance

679330[/snapback]

I really don't know--Aiken has been pretty stellar on ST and one of the reasons that we have excelled in that facet of the game over the last few years.

I do like Nance's size and big play capability that he has shown. Hopefully he has a good camp and could push one of the WRs looking to be #5, #6 on the team.

I really don't know--Aiken has been pretty stellar on ST and one of the reasons that we have excelled in that facet of the game over the last few years.

I do like Nance's size and big play capability that he has shown.  Hopefully he has a good camp and could push one of the WRs looking to be #5, #6 on the team.

679344[/snapback]

Yeah, he'll have to beat out Aiken for that sixth spot, if it even exists. Then, we also have Jonathan Smith who's made plays on special teams as well.

Yeah, he'll have to beat out Aiken for that sixth spot, if it even exists.  Then, we also have Jonathan Smith who's made plays on special teams as well.

679347[/snapback]

I still think he will beat out Parrish who's shown not a whole hell of a lot and is fragile beyond belief.

I still think he will beat out Parrish who's shown not a whole hell of a lot and is fragile beyond belief.

679350[/snapback]

But...but...

What have the E$PN "experts" said about this?!?!?!

THEY KNOW ALL!! ;):D:lol:

But...but...

What have the E$PN "experts" said about this?!?!?!

THEY KNOW ALL!!  ;)  :D  :lol:

679355[/snapback]

it's ahrd to tell whether or not someone with less than 100 posts are bein sarcastic, but if you're insinuating that our 5'2" 105 pound wide receiver is somehow going to light the world on fire, I'd say you're mistaken.

it's ahrd to tell whether or not someone with less than 100 posts are bein sarcastic, but if you're insinuating that our 5'2" 105 pound wide receiver is somehow going to light the world on fire, I'd say you're mistaken.

679356[/snapback]

No what Im saying is that 70% of NFL fans now base their ENTIRE opinions on what the clowns in Bristol CT say about the draft 48 hours after it happens..."well if Sean Salisbury says it's good, then great, YES!! We had a GREAT draft!!!"

Oh and I am not a newbie...registered under a new name becauce after all the crap Donte has received so far, I am rooting for him more then any draft pick in recent memory

Do we keep six WRs?  Evans, Davis, Parrish, Reed, Price, Nance

679330[/snapback]

I think Davis has a tough time making the final roster. Didn't we only sign him to a 1 year deal? Also, I have no idea about this stuff but if we sign a guy and he gets cut he surely doesn't make all the $ he was due to make does he? Like say Peerless were to get cut, is there some clause in the contract that voids it (except for the signing bonus) ?

I say our recievers for week 1 are:

Evans, Aiken, Parrish, Reed, Price, Nance