Bills have more needs than quality draft picks

Mark VI

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

:)

Feel free if you want to, Drew's stats are always good for a cheap laugh. ;)

668519[/snapback]

I don't know about you, but at least for the 1st half of that season I was pretty excited about the Bills.

Bledsoe was on pace to pass Marinos yardage record, PP had stepped up, positive things were happening.....

then opposing defenses started to figure Bledsoe out. B-)

I don't know about you, but at least for the 1st half of that season I was pretty excited about the Bills. 

Bledsoe was on pace to pass Marinos yardage record, PP had stepped up, positive things were happening.....

then opposing defenses started to figure Bledsoe out.  :)

668525[/snapback]

Yep. Reality set in. ;)

Feel free if you want to, Drew's stats are always good for a cheap laugh. ;)

668519[/snapback]

For the record, then: Bledsoe's 4359 passing yards that season equaled the 21st-highest total since 1960. Of the 20 higher totals, only two of those QBs -- Trent Green (2004) and Lynn Dickey (1983) -- didn't end the season in the Pro Bowl.

Here, you want a cheap laugh? Try this number: 2852. That was Buffalo's total passing yardage last season, a mere 1507 yards behind Bledsoe's 2002 season.

I'm not about to wish Drewbie back in a Bills uniform, but that '02 Pro Bowl nod was no sympathy vote.

For the record, then: Bledsoe's 4359 passing yards that season equaled the 21st-highest total since 1960. Of the 20 higher totals, only two of those QBs -- Trent Green (2004) and Lynn Dickey (1983) -- didn't end the season in the Pro Bowl.

Here, you want a cheap laugh? Try this number: 2852. That was Buffalo's total passing yardage last season, a mere 1507 yards behind Bledsoe's 2002 season.

I'm not about to wish Drewbie back in a Bills uniform, but that '02 Pro Bowl nod was no sympathy vote.

668541[/snapback]

Thanks! :)

I agree with the original premise of this post. And with Huff and Cutler as the consensus #8 and #9 players, I see the Bills going down a few slots and picking up at least another 4th, and still getting Ngata or Bunkley. I don't think the Bills will be demanding a lot as they will still get one of the 2 DT's for a cheaper price. In a perfect world, Arizona or St. Louis would trade up for Cutler, Detroit would take Huff, and the Bills would get their 1st choice. However, the most likely scenario is St. Louis trading up for Huff, whom Detroit would probably take, then Baltimore going up to #9 to take Ngata. Arizona probably wouldn't take Bunkley at #10, but that prospect may tie the Bills hands from trading down to #11 unless St. louis promises they are taking Cutler.

The Pro Bowl deal was a sympathy vote to off-set Fat Sam's total and utter humiliation from being benched for poor performance & watching the Sapester & Jefferson play in his place. ...How embarassing! ;)

668478[/snapback]

Okeedokee have a nice day. :)

Oh, it's happened before... see Drew Bledsoe in 2002. ;)  :)

668488[/snapback]

If his selection as a reserve that year was based on sympathy then you should quite easily be able to name the several (or even 1 or 2 QBs) who deserved the slot more than he did and outrageously were passed over.

(Reader= The next sound you hear will be crickets chirping)

If his selection as a reserve that year was based on sympathy then you should quite easily be able to name the several (or even 1 or 2 QBs) who deserved the slot more than he did and outrageously were passed over.

668596[/snapback]

There were 6 playoff QBs in the AFC that year, none of whom suffered a 2nd-half meltdown that kept their team out of the post-season.... you can fill in any of those names that you please. :)

drew deserved in 02. adams flat out sucked last year. i challenge any one of you to name more than one game in which he was slightly more than adequate. he was hoooooooorible.

668523[/snapback]

Do you have the games on tape from last year? If not, has it occurred to you that you might be wrong? I've have yet to hear one specific play where somebody felt he was dogging it or that he looked worn out.

I actually don't think there are as many holes as most around here.  Their record was worse than their talent.  That team quit last season.

668360[/snapback]

I agree. I say we have "serious" needs at LT, DT and LG. Our D definately needs a DT but once Spikes went out we lost the heart of our Defense. Our offensive strategy must have been just not making mistakes and letting our D bail is out cause we were good for a couple years. Once the D imploded the season was over. I think Peters will make a good RT. Fowler will be decent under C. Villarial has a couple years in the tank of being serviceable. Plug 2 holes and keep Duke as an interior replacement and I'd give the offense a shot if our QB could just make reads and hit the open guy. I like Nall. I watch the packers a lot and I've seen him play (yeah I know it was limited). He never got a fair shake in GB and I think he could be a serviceable starter for us. Again, this is not gonna be a breakthrough year, but i think we could win 6-7 games and have a solid foundation to build on.

I like Deuce from USC in rd 2 being the guy to play the other G. If Brick fell to us we could field a decent line. 3rd round picks? DT and S/OL. 4th, S/WR.

We could wind up with 4 players (rds 1-3(2 3rd picks)) actually contributing for us this season and a few other providing depth. I WOULD like an upgrade at S though. Anyone heard of any possible June 1 cuts?

The only player cut that was questionable to me was Adams but please don't tell me Moulds was a mistake.

He was catching 3-5 yard slants 90 % of the time and immediately falling down. The guy had 81 catches and recorded about 220 yards after catching the ball. That's about a 2.8 yards average gain after catch. :) A shadow of his former self and being paid like Jerry Rice in his prime. Cya Eric.

Milloy didn't fit this D at all. Vincent should be gone no later than next January. Heartless Mike Williams doesn't want to play hurt. I wouldn't be surprised if someone beat out Posey for his job before the opener. Very few of our 30 something players were doing anything. The horrid coaching didn't help. Time to keep a few specific vets and become young.

I don't expect a TD draft at all because that would mean an obsession with a skill position player who has rebuilt his knee or is vertically challenged.

I think Marv will actually try some O and D lineman. I'm currently hearing Justice of USC is one of the guys they're targeting at #8, if they don't trade down. Fine by me.

Follow that up with a Guard and a rotation DT and your building a team, instead of watching a GM make niche picks like Roscoe Parrish. Dwight Adams stated to someone I know that TD made the draft picks and didn't accept draft day input from anyone, causing friction. Me thinks Marv is a little wiser than that, since he knows his limits. The Coaches will ID shortages and Modrak will try and find them players.

Next off-season, the Bills will have new worries with LB depth and other issues but one step at a time. We're not 2 players short of a run.... We're multiple players short. Hopefully, Fairchild and Fewell can Coach around some of the shortages and make Jauron the Delegator look good.

I'm being realistic in my expectations.

Regardless of who they draft, if Jauron can get 8 wins out of THIS team it will be near miraculous.  Every team, even the Texans of last year, has some talented players.  But these Bills have the numerous holes in the lineup and the suspect coaching that it takes to earn the top pick in the draft.  On paper, this is a 2-14 team.

668476[/snapback]

Sadly, I agree. Imo, for the Bills to win 6-8 games, they will need major breaks, such as a healthy TKO and a quarterback who doesn't suck.

That said, it appears that we should be able (if the desire is there) to pull 2 OGs and a DT out of this draft who can play. I also agree with a previous poster that an OT such as Trueblood could also be selected and groomed.

While I understand what you are saying in terms of the players that we cut, I can't help feeling that they wouldn't have been any part of any possible long term success the Bills that might await the Bills, especially Moulds who flat out quit on us. Frankly, I suspected that because of his age, Marv was going to try to make a fruitless move this year.

If you and I are correct about the 06 Bills, we will walk into 07 with a ton of cap space, early draft selections, and some young kids who can play.

Imo, this doesn't sound so bad.

Btw, NE or GB this season. :)

Feel free if you want to, Drew's stats are always good for a cheap laugh. B-)

668519[/snapback]

If Drew's stats are good for a "cheap laugh," stay away from ropes, because I would hate to see you hang yourself after reading the stats of YOUR savior, JP Losman.

You got your wish. How does it look right about now? :(;);)

We're going to suck this year but it'll be tolerable as long as we draft well and have some nice, young athletic talent in the pipeline to look forward to in the coming years. To me, the most important thing is to have all of our draft picks be athletic with good upside, even if that means they're raw to start with. I'm tired of low upside, you-know-what-you-get, high-motor white draft picks and hope that those guys are long gone from the team's draft plans now that TD has been axed.

We're going to suck this year but it'll be tolerable as long as we draft well and have some nice, young athletic talent in the pipeline to look forward to in the coming years.  To me, the most important thing is to have all of our draft picks be athletic with good upside, even if that means they're raw to start with.  I'm tired of low upside, you-know-what-you-get, high-motor white draft picks and hope that those guys are long gone from the team's draft plans now that TD has been axed.

668678[/snapback]

hey the Bills are the only team in the league that can field a 4 man DL with such high motor guys and still have some on the bench.

He should have spent more time finding those kind of guys for the OL.

I hope it is. The number 1 pick would be a nice thing to have.

668696[/snapback]

Well, if skip the draft & cut the good players we do have, I'm sure we could guarentee the number 1 pick. :)