The Bills WONT Draft Bunkley because he doesn't

If the Bills draft Bunkley then Marv will be contradicting himself because he stated that he's looking for high character guys and smart football players. Bunkley is dumber than a box of rocks (sorry rocks) and has had issues off the field.

:lol:

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My guess is that the character assessment and intelligence assessment are semi-related but are in completely separate boxes.

Pro football is conplex but not brain surgery. If a player exhibits football smarts and is a good guy who backs up his teammates then even if he dumb as a bag of rocks when it come to the rest of life he will probablt be fine for us.

Football smarts and life smarts are different thngs. No one would accuse Jim Kelly of being one of the brighter bulbs in the intellectual pack, but he was one of the greatest football decision-makers to play the game and probably will be the last QB to call hiw own plays.

In addition, no one would accuse him of being an example for all in terms of character given the various reports of run ins with law and with women (I imagine most are not true some transgression among the many rumors.

Add to these rumors the way he handled things back in the day when he was a leader in creating the bickering Bills label.

Nevertheless, if someone is a productive player like Kelly was then we will here any nimber of qualifiers on building a high chatacter team. Character will likly be a strong marginal factor. However, just as I doubt they will pick an athlere they assess to be a bad layer merely because he is also assessed as behaving high character. Likewise doubt they will bnmp a guy whom they have on their board as the best pick avaulable.

Character will matter it simply will not likely be the only thing which does matter.

bunkley is dumb as a box of rocks? prove it. Tell me what information has formed that opinion in you. And as far as character goes, he stole a CD or something like that. That's not exactly a major concern in the larger scheme of character issues in the NFL. If you can read between the lines of Marv's comments about character when he was hired, it wasn't necessarily "we want guys with no police records." That's just one aspect of how character plays into personnel evaluation. Then there's passion for the game, desire to be the best, and work ethic. Mike Williams had no police record, no passion for the game, no desire to be the best, and no work ethic.

I'll take a Bunkley over a Mike Williams any day.

Betcha we take him.

I really dont have any problem with Bunkley's "character" problems, as nod was saying, he stole a video game from a Wal-Mart 3 years ago but thats not going to make me get the vapors and start calling for the smelling salts.

I'm more concerned with how in every report I've read about them, all of them use the word "soft" when they describe him. Not very tough at all, and that scares the hell out of me. Also, the fact that he only was good for one season and before that he was just another backup DT in the FSU rotation. It makes me think he hyped up his game because he knew a big time NFL contract depended on it...and without that carrot dangling in front of him, he'll go back to just simply not producing. I'm very reluctant to give a big-time contract to someone who has only on year of solid play under his belt.

ProFootball Weekly has Bunkley getting a 31 on the wonderlic, thats one smart rock.

667598[/snapback]

Link?? Prove it!

In 2005 he was ruled academically ineligible during the spring. Attended summer school and was not allowed to participate in fall camp until his grades were posted.

bunkley is dumb as a box of rocks? prove it. Tell me what information has formed that opinion in you.

I've read it on numerous draft sites.

One example:

2005: Was ruled academically ineligible during the spring. Attended summer school and was not allowed to participate in fall camp until his grades were posted.

And as far as character goes, he stole a CD or something like that. That's not exactly a major concern in the larger scheme of character issues in the NFL. If you can read between the lines of Marv's comments about character when he was hired, it wasn't necessarily "we want guys with no police records." That's just one aspect of how character plays into personnel evaluation.

The concern should be that not only is he dumb but what direction will he go when he's handed all the money thats associated with a top 10 pick.  He also has anger management issues.

I'll take a Bunkley over a Mike Williams any day.

That's not saying very much!

Betcha we take him.

How Much? $$ 

667622[/snapback]

I'm more concerned with how in every report I've read about them, all of them use the word "soft" when they describe him.  Not very tough at all, and that scares the hell out of me.  Also, the fact that he only was good for one season and before that he was just another backup DT in the FSU rotation.  It makes me think he hyped up his game because he knew a big time NFL contract depended on it...and without that carrot dangling in front of him, he'll go back to just simply not producing.  I'm very reluctant to give a big-time contract to someone who has only on year of solid play under his belt.

667631[/snapback]

Great reply!

He also has an injury history:

1998: Suffered a torn anterior cruciate ligament in his left knee as freshman and had surgery one year later (11/99).

2002: Tore his left knee medial collateral ligament in the Florida game (11/30) when a Gators offensive lineman was penalized for a personal foul after delivering a dive block at Bunkley's knee following the play.

2004: Suffered a severe right ankle sprain that would force him to miss the Syracuse (10/09) and Wake Forest (10/23) games. The injury would limit him throughout the second half of the season.

The difference being he recognized he was missing out on a great opportunity and by recent ( meaning last year ) accounts he pulled himself up and not only had a very good year in football but also pulled his grades up dramatically. There is a difference between a barin dead slug acting in said fashion and a KID that looks at himself and says OH S$$t I better get my act together or its' Do you want FRies with that for me. I'll take the guy that falls down and gets back up over the one that never stumbles and never pushes himself evry time.

If the Bills draft Bunkley then Marv will be contradicting himself because he stated that he's looking for high character guys and smart football players.  Bunkley is dumber than a box of rocks (sorry rocks) and has had issues off the field.

:lol:

667581[/snapback]

Just another jerk trying to bring someone down.

I really dont have any problem with Bunkley's "character" problems, as nod was saying, he stole a video game from a Wal-Mart 3 years ago but thats not going to make me get the vapors and start calling for the smelling salts.

I'm more concerned with how in every report I've read about them, all of them use the word "soft" when they describe him.  Not very tough at all, and that scares the hell out of me.  Also, the fact that he only was good for one season and before that he was just another backup DT in the FSU rotation.  It makes me think he hyped up his game because he knew a big time NFL contract depended on it...and without that carrot dangling in front of him, he'll go back to just simply not producing.  I'm very reluctant to give a big-time contract to someone who has only on year of solid play under his belt.

667631[/snapback]

Bunkley is far from "soft". But you arent very high on him, so we'll agree to disagree. :lol:

At least you have reasonable reasons for not being sold on bunkley.

If the Bills draft Bunkley then Marv will be contradicting himself because he stated that he's looking for high character guys and smart football players.

Marv just gave 10 million dollars to Gearless Price, a lazy, whiny gutless malcontent who is utterly and completely devoid of any character whatsoever.

So you can pretty much throw Marv's quote on character right out the window.

ProFootball Weekly has Bunkley getting a 31 on the wonderlic, thats one smart rock.

667598[/snapback]

I don't know what he did at the combine, but his 1st Wonderlic was a 15, so if he scored a 31, he did it by studying for it before the combine. I prefer a non "coached up" Wonderlic:

Campus: 4.92 in the 40-yard dash...1.76 in the 10-yard dash...4.7 20-yard shuttle...365-pound bench press...365-pound squat...277-pound power clean...28-inch vertical jump...33 ¾-inch arm length...9 7/8-inch hands...Right-handed...15/24 Wonderlic score.

Marv just gave 10 million dollars to Gearless Price, a lazy, whiny gutless malcontent who is utterly and completely devoid of any character whatsoever.

So you can pretty much throw Marv's quote on character right out the window.

667662[/snapback]

You have a point!

That's are HOF GM overpaying for another free agent reject!

I guess Marv would be dumb enough to take Bunkley and continue the mess that he's making over at One Bills Drive.

I don't know what he did at the combine, but his 1st Wonderlic was a 15, so if he scored a 31, he did it by studying for it before the combine.  I prefer a non "coached up" Wonderlic:

Campus: 4.92 in the 40-yard dash...1.76 in the 10-yard dash...4.7 20-yard shuttle...365-pound bench press...365-pound squat...277-pound power clean...28-inch vertical jump...33 ¾-inch arm length...9 7/8-inch hands...Right-handed...15/24 Wonderlic score.

667666[/snapback]

Most guys take the wonderlic twice. And the fact that if you take it once and get around a 15 and then study for it a little bit and take it again and get a 25 or 30, which a lot of players do, it seems like a complete waste of time determining a player's intelligence.

Most guys take the wonderlic twice. And the fact that if you take it once and get around a 15 and then study for it a little bit and take it again and get a 25 or 30, which a lot of players do, it seems like a complete waste of time determining a player's intelligence.

667688[/snapback]

The wonderlic is as good as an intelligence measurement as the SAT. Both of the tests simply determine how well someone can take that test. Both are a joke, and in both, a person can be coached to improve their score.

667688[/snapback]

So was Ngata too stupid to take it the second time or did he get an 8 on it the first time? :lol: Personally I favor Bunkley is he's a more complete player. Ngata to me a guy who was able to do well in college because of his sure athleticism and as reports have come out needed a fire lit under his belly to perform by coaches. Where Bunkley had a fire lit under for academics, injuries and had one helluva senior season and than had questions about his size and bulked up for the senior bowl and combine and made a rise up the charts. Where Ngata stood pat and didn't do much to improve his stock, I mean if Ngata was really committed to be a better player one could argue he should have stayed for his senior season at Oregon and proved to be the great player everyone thought he'd be coming out of high school like Bunkley did this past season.

By the way, the 15 that Bunkley first scored on his wonderlic is more accurate then the 31 he supposedly scored. Agents have a way to try to get their clients to score higher on the wonderlic and it goes like this:

The wonderlic has 50 questions in the test.

Everyone that takes the test has exactly 12 minutes to answer as many questions as they can.

The Agents instruct their players to quickly scan through the easy questions and answer as many as possible while skipping over the tough questions. After scanning through the 50 questions and answering the easy ones, they are then instructed to fill in an answer for all of the multiple answer questions as in either A,B, C or D. In other words guess on the tough questions and fill in an answer.

Thus in the 12 minutes a player with average intelligence might score a 18 out of say 25 questions he answered. If he then takes a shot at the other 25 questions and gets 7 right his score becomes a decent 25. :lol: