New Clayton Article Rips Ralph

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Since returning to Buffalo from the Dallas meeting, Wilson has come off like a Bills fan who hasn't gotten over the Norwood kick. Ralph, it's time to get over it and move on and work within the system, not against it.

Clayton, some day when you own something worth millions and millions of dollars, and other people make decisions about your millions and millions of dollars, THEN you can tell people to "get over it."

How about this: get over yourself.

I think that's one of the better articles that Clayton has ever written and IMO he's mostly right. I love Ralph but at times he doesn't make much sense. At times he contradicts himself. At times he sounds and acts foolish. Again, I think Ralph is doing this for the right reasons, and in the end his little tirades will clear up a few little items that could have bit the Bills in the ass. So I don't agree with Clayton that Ralph shouldn't be doing this. But he's right. The new owners did agree to the revenue plan. The uncapped year probably would have sucked for the Bills. This allows for a good idea to be kept mostly in tact for several more years. And Ralph has no leg to stand on whatsoever when he decides not to name the satdium and then complains about not getting enough revenue sharing from other teams. he could get 2 million a year from some corporation and he could take that money and sign an extra player to get his team more competitive.

Clayton, some day when you own something worth millions and millions of dollars, and other people make decisions about your millions and millions of dollars, THEN you can tell people to "get over it."

658267[/snapback]

very well said.

658267[/snapback]

Daniel Snyder, McNair in Houston, and a couple other new owners were directly responsible for Ralph's investment skyrocketing in the last 7-8 years. It went from 200-300 million or so to 700 million or so just because of them. Clayton has a point.

I think that's one of the better articles that Clayton has ever written and IMO he's mostly right.

658269[/snapback]

It is one of the better articles that Clayton has written - just because I'm not sure that he has ever written anything terirbly intelligent.

Clayton keeps bringing up the new revenue sharing deal, but fails to point out that the new revenue sharing money is a paltry $9-10 million per team at a time when the gap between teams is around $100 million.

Clayton then goes on to be completely disingenious by not raising the topic of the qualifyers. Ralph went to the media this week because of the qualifyers. If Clayton is going to smack down Wilson in public, he could at least do the courtesy of mentioning the core of Wilson's argument. No surprise that Clayton blew it, though....

Clayton raises Green Bay as a successful small market without ever mentioning that Green Bay essentially controls the Milwaukee market, which is bigger, and has much more corporate wealth than, the Buffalo market.

JDG

I haven't read the article and I refuse to, because I wish to remain uninformed.

Clayton should eat a bowl of fuch and start paying Social Security and Unemployment Insurance for the wetback house keeper and lawn boys he has doing work on his Provincetown bungalow. Then give thanks to The Kennedys for moving next door and escalating the value of his property by tearing down that old Cape Cod and building a 5 story high-rise. Hey, if he can't afford the higher taxes in the "new" old neighborhood, he can sell the place to some investment banker with tons of bucks who'll do the same with his old place.

Check it out for yourself

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/columns/stor...john&id=2403502

658259[/snapback]

I think that Clayton makes a few good points, it really is time for Ralph to focus on working within the system and finding ways to keep the team competitive. It appears that Ralph is losing hard earned credibility on the national level by using the press to fight this battle.

However, Clayton totally loses credibility by bringing up Norwood. That comment has nothing to do with the subject at hand. Clayton is an amatuer.

not a bad piece by clayton - respectful, but not afraid to point out that wilson is on the verge of looking like a ranter who is sadly now out of his depth. the bills will make a ton of money in the next few years, and it sounds like wilson's only complaint is that the value of the ultimate sale might be less than he planned because of the way the revenue sharing might be structured for whoever his successor is. given that he stands to make something on the order of $799 million plus over his original investment (and the fact that the people who he is attacking are the ones who have done the most in recent years to drive up the value of nfl franchises), i'm hardly saddened by his plight.

not a bad piece by clayton - respectful, but not afraid to point out that wilson is on the verge of looking like a ranter who is sadly now out of his depth. the bills will make a ton of money in the next few years, and it sounds like wilson's only complaint is that the value of the ultimate sale might be less than he planned because of the way the revenue sharing might be structured for whoever his successor is. given that he stands to make something on the order of $799 million plus over his original investment (and the fact that the people who he is attacking are the ones who have done the most in recent years to drive up the value of nfl franchises), i'm hardly saddened by his plight.

658444[/snapback]

You can't seriously believe this. Ralph Wilson isn't worried about making *more* money *after* he's dead!!!! That's patently absurd.

What Ralph Wilson is pissed-off about is that the big-money owners apparently inserted some poison pills into their paltry new revenue sharing agreement that appear on the face of them to be targeted at making the Bills unviable in Buffalo. Its a shame that the national media, ala Peter King and John Clayton haven't recognized this. Its a tragedy that even some Bills fans can't see it.

JDG

You can't seriously believe this.    Ralph Wilson isn't worried about making *more* money *after* he's dead!!!!    That's patently absurd.

What Ralph Wilson is pissed-off about is that the big-money owners apparently inserted some poison pills into their paltry new revenue sharing agreement that appear on the face of them to be targeted at making the Bills unviable in Buffalo.  Its a shame that the national media, ala Peter King and John Clayton haven't recognized this.    Its a tragedy that even some Bills fans can't see it.

JDG

658475[/snapback]

You don't know that, I don't believe it to be true, and I am willing to bet you right now that wasn't the case. The language isn't clear, Ralph's lawyers showed him some discrepancies (as he surely didnt read the thing himself and then say hey, what about a, b and c as he parsed the legalese). The thing probably has some language that can be taken one way, or a loophole or something they didnt consider when they were hurrying to get the deal done and Ralph is rightly making his concerns public in order to clear them up. They will be cleared up. But I will bet it wasn't a sneaky poison pill designed to kill the Bills.

You don't know that, I don't believe it to be true, and I am willing to bet you right now that wasn't the case. The language isn't clear, Ralph's lawyers showed him some discrepancies (as he surely didnt read the thing himself and then say hey, what about a, b and c as he parsed the legalese). The thing probably has some language that can be taken one way, or a loophole or something they didnt consider when they were hurrying to get the deal done and Ralph is rightly making his concerns public in order to clear them up. They will be cleared up. But I will bet it wasn't a sneaky poison pill designed to kill the Bills.

658477[/snapback]

Why are you so sure that Ralph did not read the contract and ask his own questions? This man made about a thousand more times money than anyone on this board. Did you think he did this by luck? Why do you assume because he is older he is incapable to read a contract. I am 53, I am starting to discern prejudice from this board, that anyone over 30 is totally incapable. At least, anyone that uses the term "biotch" shoud be disqualified from be taken seriously by anyone with any life experience. Suburban kids who have never been denied anything with an attitude, yeah right.

Daniel Snyder, McNair in Houston, and a couple other new owners were directly responsible for Ralph's investment skyrocketing in the last 7-8 years. It went from 200-300 million or so to 700 million or so just because of them. Clayton has a point.

No it didn't. The NFL basically sells itself. And with networks like NBC, ABC, CBS, Fox, ESPN, TNT, and OLN falling over themselves and willing to pay tons of money to air whatever games they can, it's like taking candy from a baby.

And while we'll never know the inner workings of the "intense" negotiations that went on with the new TV contracts, what I DO know is that the NFL got BUFU'd BIGTIME by the NFLPA with the new CBA. It was actually embarrassing to see the billionaire boys club get sodomized by the millionaire boys club.

And what's going to be even BETTER is seeing the billionaire boys club take a kick to the throat by a "feeble" 87-year old man if they try and get cute with their revenue sharing plan.

You can't seriously believe this.    Ralph Wilson isn't worried about making *more* money *after* he's dead!!!!    That's patently absurd.

What Ralph Wilson is pissed-off about is that the big-money owners apparently inserted some poison pills into their paltry new revenue sharing agreement that appear on the face of them to be targeted at making the Bills unviable in Buffalo.  Its a shame that the national media, ala Peter King and John Clayton haven't recognized this.    Its a tragedy that even some Bills fans can't see it.

JDG

658475[/snapback]

read what i wrote - i'm talking about him selling the team while he's still alive, which is clearly an issue to him based upon his comments.

No it didn't.  The NFL basically sells itself.  And with networks like NBC, ABC, CBS, Fox, ESPN, TNT, and OLN falling over themselves and willing to pay tons of money to air whatever games they can, it's like taking candy from a baby.

And while we'll never know the inner workings of the "intense" negotiations that went on with the new TV contracts, what I DO know is that the NFL got BUFU'd BIGTIME by the NFLPA with the new CBA.  It was actually embarrassing to see the billionaire boys club get sodomized by the millionaire boys club.

And what's going to be even BETTER is seeing the billionaire boys club take a kick to the throat by a "feeble" 87-year old man if they try and get cute with their revenue sharing plan.

658483[/snapback]

do you seriously believe that the players rolled the owners? you must be reading the owners' deal postmortem propaganda. the owners will be making the most money, and stand to reap huge profits. as for the players, remember that they're not employees at a steel mill -- they're "talent," the reason we watch the games. without them, the league wouldn't exist. the same can't be said for steelworkers, who are functionally interchangeable with steelworkers in brazil and china. the players have a lot more leverage.

do you seriously believe that the players rolled the owners? you must be reading the owners' deal postmortem propaganda.  the owners will be making the most money, and stand to reap huge profits. as for the players, remember that they're not employees at a steel mill  -- they're "talent," the reason we watch the games. without them, the league wouldn't exist. the same can't be said for steelworkers, who are functionally interchangeable with steelworkers in brazil and china. the players have a lot more leverage.

I'd say the players taking just a 0.5% cut from their original stance of 60% of total revenues, while the owners caved-in to a 3.3% INCREASE in their original stance of 56.2%, is getting rolled BIGTIME!

And there was NO need to do the deal when they did, but they folded like Ralph said, because it was the eve of FA and they didn't want to have massive player cuts. The deal could have been done at anytime before the end of the 2006 season.

And while the uncapped year SEEMED like a windfall for players, it wasn't really. Increasing the years of service from 4 to 6 before you could become a FA would have restricted TONS of players. Also benefits would have been wiped-out, and there wouldn't be a minimum. At worst a team like the Bills spends little, pockets the money, and reloads for the next CBA and cap.