In the end....Vernon Davis

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Did anyone here watch Vernon Davis run the receiving drills at the combine? Look I have no problems calling him an athletic phenom but besides "bodying" every catch in the drills, I don't think he has the greatest hands. If it's the receiving element you want, go after Fassano from ND or the kid from UCLA.

While I'm intrigued by Davis' potential, he ain't no "wide receiver in a tight end's body", more like an "insane athlete in a tight end's body". Very different. The delta between him and the great TEs in the league now are:

a. experience obviously and

b. they are all VERY good receivers - just watch how they catch the ball.

Speed kills but his hands don't warrant a top 10 pick. Me, I'd rather not get caught up in the hype and unless a Hawk or D'Brick fell to us, I'd be workin the phones like crazy to trade down and get another 1st day pick.

Davis is my pick as well.

The Pats drafted 2 first round TEs when they already had a good/better TE on the roster.

Sure those were luxery picks, but having two great TEs on that team surely helped Brady.

That being said, Davis to me is not a luxery pick because he is head and shoulders above any TE the Bills have on their roster. Seriously, Ehus is a walking ambulance, Everett is an unknown (and was a project BEFORE tearing his knee up) and Royal, even if he exceeds expectations, still only gives us one TE.

Either drafting him at 8 or trying to trade down a couple of spots if one of the QB's is still on the board......

But Vernon Davis is my pick....now with the departure of Moulds the pressure is all on Lee Evans....and I really dont like the sound of that.....

Davis has special written all over him.....

652895[/snapback]

I really HATE to agree with you...but if Davis is there we have to pick him. Not only is he a gifted player, but you could make the argument that he does make our OL better.

You hate to agree with me? 

What did I ever do to you..:lol:

653609[/snapback]

I agree. Let's draft TEs in the 3rd round or lower every season, forever. The lines are just fine, and we should pour all (or at least most) of our resources into TEs, as well as QBs and wideouts.

I agree. Let's draft TEs in the 3rd round or lower every season, forever. The lines are just fine, and we should pour all (or at least most) of our resources into TEs, as well as QBs and wideouts.

653618[/snapback]

And I really hate to agree with you Bill because I don't think picking high round offensive linemen is the path to greatness, however, I'm wary of picking phenom athletes unless they show great instincts in college (re: Urlacher vs Wire or Flowers or Mamula).

First of we can't compare Davis to any other rookie TE, because Davis will have to be our first option, and not just another option. Davis may be the new evolution of TEs, And I have seen the tape of the combines, I think I still have it Tivo'd and I recalled him catching everything with his hands.

also i feel your pains about blocking, however, a threat at TE trumps blocking, in these terms. What killed us the most last year was when teams would send 2 LBs or DBs overloading our line. Too many of our routes were long routes, and then they would jump our short routes, who ran our short routes, Campbell, euhus and other non threatening TEs.

I would hope that teams would blitz, because if they blitz from Davis' side, he is such a good athlete you could hit him on a short route, and he could take it 10, 15, 100 yards. if they blitz the other side, it would be smarter, however who can cover Davis, do they move up a Safety, allowing Evans one on one on the outside. a LBer that doesn't have the foot speed. he creates offense.

Bottom line, I like Winston Justice, and if we trade down and still get him that is great, however we need offensive threats, and like I said Davis could be a once in a lifetime TE. We are not even close to set at TE. the notion that Fairchild doesn't favor TEs is more the result of having Holt, Bruce, Jackson, Faulk, and Curtis, and not needing a threat at TE. we have Evans, Mcgahee.....

You hate to agree with me? 

What did I ever do to you..:P

653609[/snapback]

Nothing, I still love ya! :lol: I just spent the entire off season with thought that the Bills should draft the biggest meanest lineman they could find. (fix a big problem right now!) Now I'm forced to change my mind, Davis is a once in a decade player and if he falls to the Bills... they have to pick him. (although he will most likely not have an impact this year) Admiting that I difficult to do, and I don't like it because I want results now not later.

Which is a problem that most of the people on this board have. They want to improve the lines, but can't get past the fact that Davis might be the best player to draft if we look 2-3 years down the road. Which is what a good GM should do.

Not to mention as I've posted in another thread it doesn't appear that Fairchild favors the TE in his offense (click here for Rams' TE Brandon Manumaleuna career stats). So I truly question what impact Davis would have on this team both in the short and long term and that's why favor going a different way in the 1st Round.

653373[/snapback]

I agree with you but not with your assessment. I hate when people use stats of te's like that. Brandon Manumaleuna is primarly a blocking te, and they used him as such. I dont think this an indictment that fairchild doesnt use the te's as much as it is Manumaleuna was used in the role he was suited for. Given a receiving threat at te I believe fairchild would use him. Within the air coryell system which I assume fairchild will use a version of since thats the system martz used you can have a blocking te and a receiving te ala the chiefs jason dunn and then tony gonzalez. Royal could fill that jason dunn/manumaleuna and everett or vernon davis in that tony gonzalez esque receiving role. I dont think thats out of the question. You use what you have available to you.

I really HATE to agree with you...but if Davis is there we have to pick him.  Not only is he a gifted player, but you could make the argument that he does make our OL better.

653606[/snapback]

you could argue that- but you would wrong-esprecailly in 2006.

Davis doesn't block very well and would need considerable seasoning to become effective in the passing game as an NFL TE.

Being big and fast is only part of the formula for success.

Vernon Davis is the pic at #8 if he's there, if not, then there isn't much pressure on getting a TE cause the bills already have a rookie TE in Everett. Davis is projected and showed signs of being a very good TE in the NFL, but last pass cause a rookie linemen (who we are probably reaching a bit to draft) is going to immediately make us a condtendor. The Bills have 8 (atleast 9 if you count something from the Moulds deal) other picks in the other 6 rounds of the draft where we can find the best available Linemen (where the draft is supposedly pretty deep

you could argue that- but you would wrong-esprecailly in 2006.

Davis doesn't block very well and would need considerable seasoning to become effective in the passing game as an NFL TE.

Being big and fast is only part of the formula for success.

653836[/snapback]

Actually I was thinking that teams might have to double team him... and assuming that Lee E is double teamed that leaves no one left to blitz... which makes the line better! :lol:

I'll say this. Vernon Davis not only has the most upside of all the players we've talked about at #8, he also is the safest pick as well. He has that great work ethic and has been extremely durable during college.

Ngata takes plays off, is a potential weight problem, and has that rebuilt knee and other minor nicks during his career.

Justice has the adjustment that has to be made going from right tackle to the left side, and also his off-the-field incidents.

Huff is a tweener and will need to stick with a position and gain experience playing full-time there.

If Davis is available, I'd pick him. Tremendous upside, and the player with the least worries as well. Then start building the lines with the rest of the picks, obviously. But you can't eff around with a top 10 pick. Risk management-wise, it's a no-brainer.