Kiper on tonight's Sportcenter..first round mock

For what its worth, I seem to recall hearing that bunkley has had some character issues--something about shoplifting while in college..more than once--granted it is not on the winston justice "I got buster trying to buy a hooker" level but non the less, I don't think he is a "character" type guy marv is looking for. I think the "Ngata doesn't fit our scheme" thing might just be a smoke screen.

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I still think they might take Ngata. "He doesn't fit into our scheme," might just be a smoke sceen. Sending out false information was the MO during the Polian/Butler days, Marv might be doing the same thing.

Remember a smallish RB (I can't recall his name), he lasted 3-4 years in the league. I think the Bills were drafting 21st and someone asked John Butler about him. Butler said if a RB of that man's talent fell to 21st there was no way the Bills would pass him up. He fell to the 21st pick and Butler passed on him. (I think he got drafted by Arz in the 2nd round?)

If AJ Hawk falls to 8th, I'd like to see the Bills draft him. I think he's going to be a great player. If he's not there, then the best D lineman.

649159[/snapback]

Great Scott, a Leeland McElroy reference.

Assuming... Bush, Leinart, Williams, Ferguson, Hawk, are the "gimmies" to be gone before we pick...

I'd say take Ngata. If he's there you do not pass him up. Bunkley is a workout wonder and we know what happens when you take those guys to high. I also still have flashbacks of the Cowboys massive OL pushing our DL off the ball 10 yards in the superbowls and I think that Ngata would prevent that more than Bunkley. If he's gone...forget about either line until rd 2. No one else on either side of the line is worth it at #8. I would be very satisfied with Vernon Davis (especially since Moulds will be gone), I can see alot of coverage sacks in the Bills future if Evans is the only consistent option.

Others that I would not mind...

Huff- although 8 is probably a little high for him. Talent wise he is not quite Sean Taylor or Roy Williams. You can usually get a decent safety in the later rounds.

Jimmy Williams- May as well groom Nate's replacement now. We are only borrowing him this season.

Cutler, Young, Leinart- If we are truly shopping JP, I would not mind any of these 3 QB's although I would prefer not giving up on JP that quickly.

Or a trade down for Santonio Holmes, or Marcus McNeill.

Would love to see the Bills end up with Nick Mangold or Eric Winston in the 2nd.

We need a RB, & WR or TE in the 3rd assuming we don't address them with our first 2 picks.

Great Scott, a Leeland McElroy reference.

649167[/snapback]

I think you're right, it was McElroy. Thanks Lori.

I can't believe that was 10 years ago. It's the draft where we took Moulds. If you want a good laugh, check out who's rated #1 and compare it to where Ray Lewis and Donnie Edwards are ranked.

1996 Draft

Great quote from John Butler, also.

I agree that Bunkley is a reach at 8. I mean with Vince Young coming out early and the emergence of Cutler as possible top 8 talent we do not to to reach for a guy. Why reach when talent should be falling? Every year someone falls and with the depth of talent available someone is going to drop. In the past Sapp, Moss, and so on have dropped. This draft just seems so different from years past. There is such an uncertainty at the top of the draft this thing could play out in so many ways.

We should be getting an instant impact player at #8. I realize we need a DT, but they take a year or two to really start being productive. In 2003 you had Dewayne Robertson, Jonathan Sullivan, Kevin Williams, and Jimmy Kennedy taken in the top 12 picks and none of them have really become elite players at the position. A year later Ryan Sims taken at #6.

Maybe I'm just tired of drafting guys early that do not contribute immediately. McGahee had to wait a year. Losman has started like 7 games in 2 years. Parrish taken with what was our first pick last year, missed half the season. Everett although taken in the 3rd missed the entire year. Mike Williams, I don't even want to go there. Lee Evans has been the exception.

my issue with Bunkley is, he might fit into the cover two, but Ngata fits into all defenses. and lets face facts here, is Juoron and his cover two going to be here for Bunkley's entire career, assuming he stays in Buffalo?

Ngata is a safer pick, and when Jouron is fired one day, and a new coach moves in and wants to play another defense we won't have to figure out what to do with Bunkley.

my issue with Bunkley is, he might fit into the cover two, but Ngata fits into all defenses.  and lets face facts here, is Juoron and his cover two going to be here for Bunkley's entire career, assuming he stays in Buffalo?

Ngata is a safer pick, and when Jouron is fired one day, and a new coach moves in and wants to play another defense we won't have to figure out what to do with Bunkley.

649239[/snapback]

Ngata will be the pick over Bunkley.

Although he is big, Ngata is exactly the type of disrupter that fits inthe cover 2. The bonus is that he is big and could play 2 gap in a 3-4 look.

Although Bunkley is strong, not so sure if he could handle nose tackle in a 3-4.

It should be about flexibility in your defense.

I don't know, I'm starting to like this pick more than Ngata...I place a lot more value on what a player does on the field, but Bunkley's combine was pretty damn impressive (44 lifts of 225lbs is a ton).  I haven't watch him play that much but he did have a lot of tackles for a loss last year and seemed to put up really good numbers for a penetrating DT.  I don't think we'll really be able to trade down anymore and draft Bunkley, his stock has been rising as of late.  Huff would be sweet at this pick also.  Anybody get to watch a lot of Bunkley last year (Ramius)?

649041[/snapback]

4.95 tons to be exact.

I really dislike Broderick Bunkley at #8, I'm not comfortable with a guy who soars up the draft boards AFTER the season is done, based on being a workout warrior.  Too many teams have been burned by players like that.

649227[/snapback]

Mike Malula ring a bell.. (not sure of spelling).

And for those who said Bunkley was first round talent at seasons end , I beg to differ. I made copies at work on 12/17/05 of eight draft services (for what it's worth) and one had him 19... the next highest was 28 and the average was 33.7.

I'm not too interested in reps of 225 lbs. since the weights are not a target with a football in its hand and a desire NOT to be lifted. I believe we had a great weightlifter from UTEP who, unfortunately, wasn't much of a football player.

I really dislike Broderick Bunkley at #8, I'm not comfortable with a guy who soars up the draft boards AFTER the season is done, based on being a workout warrior.  Too many teams have been burned by players like that.

649227[/snapback]

I see your point, and my counterpoint id that bunkley was a mid to late first rounder who jumped into the upper half of the 1st round. He wasnt some nobody who came out of the third round. The guy would have been drafted by #25 even without his monster combine.

For what its worth, I seem to recall hearing that bunkley has had some character issues--something about shoplifting while in college..more than once--granted it is not on the winston justice "I got buster trying to buy a hooker" level but non the less, I don't think he is a "character" type guy marv is looking for.  I think the "Ngata doesn't fit our scheme" thing might just be a smoke screen.

649165[/snapback]

No it wasnt more than one. Bunkley got in trouble for stealing a video game back in 2003.

LB Ernie Sims got in trouble for "pinning his girlfriend down in the middle of the road and refusing to let her up", but no charges were pressed. BTW, Sims ran a 4.4 40 at the pro-day workout.

LB AJ Nicholson has gotten arrested for beating some guys ass in a bar fight, and mroe recently he was in trouble for the possible assault case before the orange bowl, but i dont tihnk charges were ever pressed.

Mike Malula ring a bell.. (not sure of spelling).

And for those who said Bunkley was first round talent at seasons end , I beg to differ. I made copies at work on 12/17/05 of eight draft services (for what it's worth) and one had him 19... the next highest was 28 and the average was  33.7.

649267[/snapback]

Your work has copies of draft services? Where do you work?

Your work has copies of draft services? Where do you work?

649422[/snapback]

British Petroleum... I wish... No made copies on that day. My boys( 16 yr. old twins)and I fly to the draft and they are into it even more than me. Unfortunately, ones a Chiefs fan and one's a Bucs fan. Probably didn't need to preface that I had copies made at work. Sry

No it wasnt more than one. Bunkley got in trouble for stealing a video game back in 2003.

LB Ernie Sims got in trouble for "pinning his girlfriend down in the middle of the road and refusing to let her up", but no charges were pressed. BTW, Sims ran a 4.4 40 at the pro-day workout.

LB AJ Nicholson has gotten arrested for beating some guys ass in a bar fight, and mroe recently he was in trouble for the possible assault case before the orange bowl, but i dont tihnk charges were ever pressed.

649390[/snapback]

Even so, Bunkley doesn't sound like one of "Marv's guys." On college production alone (so ignoring his Flowers-esque workouts and Larsen-esque strength and RJ-esque body fat percentage), he'd be a reach at #8.

Ngata seems to be able to do everything Bunkley can do and more. He'd sometimes command triple teams in college games. He'd even drop back in coverage on occasion. He has the speed to rush the passer with the best of 'em if needed. He had the stamina to play every down. If we go DT, we go Ngata...just my opinion...I know you've watched a lot more Bunkley games than I...but you also may be a hopeless FSU homer :D .

I think you're right, it was McElroy. Thanks Lori.

I can't believe that was 10 years ago. It's the draft where we took Moulds. If you want a good laugh, check out who's rated #1 and compare it to where Ray Lewis and Donnie Edwards are ranked.

1996 Draft

Great quote from John Butler, also.

649184[/snapback]

I remember this draft vividly as it was the first one where I really studied it. I felt at the time we should of taken Amani Toomer because of his working with Todd Collins at Michigan.

Quote by Butler was great in retrospect as we landed Dusty Ziegler and Jay Riemersma in the 6th and 7th of that draft. Of course we also took Leon Neal and Dan Brandenburg in those rounds too but I felt our best pick that was Matt Stevens (one pick after the legendary Tedy Bruschi and two picks before Terrell Owens).

I remember this draft vividly as it was the first one where I really studied it. I felt at the time we should of taken Amani Toomer because of his working with Todd Collins at Michigan.

Quote by Butler was great in retrospect as we landed Dusty Ziegler and Jay Riemersma in the 6th and 7th of that draft. Of course we also took Leon Neal and Dan Brandenburg in those rounds too but I felt our best pick that was Matt Stevens (one pick after the legendary Tedy Bruschi and two picks before Terrell Owens).

649640[/snapback]

Bunkley or Ngata could be our pick if we stay at #8, but we need to stick to two rules: don't reach, and don't overfocus on need. Is Ngata a better football player as we project him over the next five years than Davis? I personally don't think so. Is Bunkley or Ngata a better football player? I like Willis as a premier back, and I don't see a QB solution that makes sense (and still like JP), but other than those two positions take the best player. Is Bunkely or Ngata going to be a better player? That doesn't seem to be the focus of this thread, and that seems like a mistake. I hope that the scouts know more little things about Davis and Huff and Ngata and Bunkley than we do, but whether it is them before draft day, or us here wasting time, I still wish people would talk about who they think the best player is.

Undersized, oversized, lazy, high motor, are Ngata and Bunkley going to have similar impacts over the next 5 years, or is one better? I am having a tough time seeing Ngata as better than Sam Adams, but I can certainly see Davis as better than anybody we would have cut this off season, and same with Huff. Bunkley interests me because of his motor and strength, as being more versitile and having a higher impact than some expect, but I don't know if that makes him better than Ngata. All four interest me, but I think Bunkley has the best chance of just being average, while Ngata has the best chance of being a bust (but potential upside).