FAST TUBS O' GOO!

Astrobot

The Remake of the Bills requires young, fast, quick, smart players, and that even applies to the DT's. You want a fat tub of goo, sure, but you also want their a$$es to move faster than molasses.

Here is a short list of players who "Fill The Bills" in the Big Middle:

(Round 1) Ngata--timed as fast as 4.84 in the 40, the biggest in the Top 10.

(Round 1 Tradedown) Bunkley--quick first step, penetrator, plays in backfield

(RD 3B/4) Jonathan Lewis--durable, tough, strong, athletic, quick. non-stop motor. Round 3B if you really want him.

(RD 3B/4) Kyle Williams--tough, durable, hard worker but another light guy. Outstanding technique, blue collar guy.

Best Later Pick:

(RD 3B/4) Dusty Dvoracek athleticism, tough, strength (lifted 1,555 lbs.) He has good intelligence and always took care of business in the classroom as well as on the field. He is a very good run defender who also can get after the quarterback on passing downs. He has a quick first step which allows him to beat most offensive linemen off the snap of the ball

Jesse Mahelona--If he's still there on Day 2, he's a good DT/DE tweener but not the Fast Goo guy. He's more like Sape. Strong, quick, fast, hard worker.

I didn't pick Wroten for Rd#2 only because he's undersized and inexperienced. He could end up being great, but maybe not as DT.

Gabe Watson is not on the list because he's the slowest of the Top 10. Conditioning and motivation are issues Levy won't pick.

Rodrique Wright--questionable work ethic as well as durability issues.

Orien Harris--Too light (lightest of the Top 15 DT's)

The Remake of the Bills requires young, fast, quick, smart players, and that even applies to the DT's. You want a fat tub of goo, sure, but you also want their a$$es to move faster than molasses.

Here is a short list of players who "Fill The Bills" in the Big Middle:

(Round 1 Tradedown) Bunkley--quick first step, penetrator, plays in backfield

(RD 3B/4) Jonathan Lewis--durable, tough, strong, athletic, quick. non-stop motor. Round 3B if you really want him.

(RD 3B/4) Kyle Williams--tough, durable, hard worker but another light guy. Outstanding technique, blue collar guy.

Best Later Pick:

(RD 3B/4) Dusty Dvoracek athleticism, tough, strength (lifted 1,555 lbs.) He has good intelligence and always took care of business in the classroom as well as on the field. He is a very good run defender who also can get after the quarterback on passing downs. He has a quick first step which allows him to beat most offensive linemen off the snap of the ball

Jesse Mahelona--If he's still there on Day 2, he's a good DT/DE tweener but not the Fast Goo guy. He's more like Sape. Strong, quick, fast, hard worker.

I didn't pick Wroten for Rd#2 only because he's undersized and inexperienced. He could end up being great, but maybe not as DT.

Gabe Watson is not on the list because he's the slowest of the Top 10. Conditioning and motivation are issues Levy won't pick.

Rodrique Wright--questionable work ethic as well as durability issues.

Orien Harris--Too light (lightest of the Top 15 DT's)

642028[/snapback]

There are a lot of 1-gap DT's in this draft, but Ngata is not one of them. Saw enough of him to know he is not real quick off the ball or fast in pursuit and plays very stiff. He is a Ted Washington type, his game is all about size and strength and I believe it will take 3-4 years for him to come into his own. By that time, he'll be nearing FA. He also has had knee problems. This guy will become a very stationary defender. IMO, he is the defensive equivalent of Fat Mike Williams. He could play in the league for 15 years, but would be a terrible first pick because he will end up playing his best ball elsewhere and many years from now and the fans of the team that drafted him will HATE him.

And fwiw, Gabe Watson is better suited for 1 gap. He is quicker(not slow by any means) and has very long arms to separate from OG's and make tackles. He is just very lazy like Pat Williams was at Texas A&M and anyone who pays him early round money is making a big mistake. Physically, he has the best combination of size, build and athleticism in this DT class.

Bunkley is the best bet to be good quickly in a 1 gap defense but is he worth the #8 overall in this draft for a team with about a dozen holes to plug? I don't think so. IMO, this team should draft the best player it can get early. All the DT's would be a reach at #8.

Just throwing out another name here

John McCargo- DT NC STATE 6'2 302lbs.- Comparative imo to Broderick Bunkley, strong, quick penetrator, had a tackle for a loss in every game as junior. Some people might be a little weary cause he played on a team with Mario Williams and Manny Lawson, but I think McCargo is good enough in his own right.

"(Round 1) Ngata--timed as fast as 4.84 in the 40, the biggest in the Top 10."

The only way Ngata ever timed a 4.84 is if he was running down a pretty steep hill...

642195[/snapback]

Obvioulsy the 40 means little for a DT. He ran an unimpressive 5.2 at the combine. Pursuit for a DT is about effort, Ngata doesn't work hard on wide running plays.

Just throwing out another name here

John McCargo- DT NC STATE 6'2 302lbs.- Comparative imo to Broderick Bunkley, strong, quick penetrator, had  a tackle for a  loss in every game as junior.  Some people might be a little weary cause he played on a team with Mario Williams and Manny Lawson, but I think McCargo is good enough in his own right.

642171[/snapback]

Love McCargo and what about Wroten from LSU?

McCargo is ranked 14th. I like Barry Cofield better for our needs.

And as I said, I didn't pick Wroten for Rd#2 only because he's undersized and inexperienced. He could end up being great, but maybe not as DT.

A guy I like as a possible mid or later round pick-up is that Peko kid from Michigan State. I watched him play a few times this past season and he impressed me. He's a load to move in the middle of the d-line and may have the potential to play both a 1 gap and 2 gap style.

I had to go do some research on that Peko guy. He's a Samoan with free-flowing hair (no word on which shampoo yet).

Here's an article that sounds like he's a fast tub:

"It's hard to decide what was more impressive. Was it when Domata Peko, Michigan State's 320-pound defensive tackle, managed to scoop up a fumble and race 74 yards down the sideline? Or was it that Peko, a Samoan with the distinctive, free-flowing hair, was able to hurdle the Wolverines' RB Mike Hart to reach the end zone on a play that -- after the extra point -- tied the score at 31. "

McCargo is ranked 14th. I like Barry Cofield better for our needs.

And as I said, I didn't pick Wroten for Rd#2 only because he's undersized and inexperienced. He could end up being great, but maybe not as DT.

642218[/snapback]

Cofield definately more of a two gap type player but there are questions as to why he isn't better. Though by most accounts McCargo is ranked much higher, yet the fact he did play with Mario leaves to wonder is he truly that good. In terms of Cofield he has all the tools to be a great D-lineman but hasn't shown to be one as of yet. As a result he might fall into Round 3 or 4 of the draft. As stated a few weeks ago this be a mock draft I could live with that has us taking Cofield in Round 4.

Thanks for providing an insight to the DT situation. It's getting tough to find some good posts around here over the last couple of seasons, making it all that much harder to follow the Bills from across the Pacific.

I like Bunkley and Dusty Dvoracek. I'm not thrilled with Jonathan Lewis, Kyle Williams or Watson

I'm not as down on Rodrique Wright and Orien Harris as some are.

I'm intrigued by Barry Cofield and Kedrick Golston.

Dvoracek may not fit into Marv's character ethic. In fact, I can find fault with virtually every DT rookie. I think it's an argument for a VERY early pick in the draft, AND still a FA (or released) DT coming here.

Dvoracek may not fit into Marv's character ethic. In fact, I can find fault with virtually every DT rookie. I think it's an argument for a VERY early pick in the draft, AND still a FA (or released) DT coming here.

642851[/snapback]

Dvoracek definitely had some issues with anger and alcohol...but who better to represent us Bills fans?

Honestly, everything I hear about him claim that yes, he's definitely kind of crazy, but he's the type of hard-nosed, lunch pail carrying monster in the middle that would look good next to Triplett. I'd be fine with taking him in the 3rd round.

Some additional information about Ngata you may not know:

(1) His full name: Etuini Haloti Moala Ngata ("NOT-ah").

(2) Defensive line coach Steve Greatwood called him "the most intelligent athlete I've ever coached".

(3) Has been clocked at 4.84 in the 40-yard dash.

(4) Loves to be in on the kick blocking team.

(5) Ngata was a supreme rugby player, and a very fine wrestler in high school.

(6) Power Clean: 385, Bench Press: 485, Squat: 585.

(7) Quickness has been compared to Randy White and Joe Klecko only much, much bigger, but just as quick.