Word from Rich McKay--NFL considering

Beerball

expanding the playoff pool by two teams. Caught this on the radio this AM. Personally, I wouldn't want to see the NFL do this. How bout you?

Edit--add linky

linky

Also some interesting thoughts about revising what is considered (called) offensive holding.

The committee also is considering recommending to officials that they make sure there was holding on a play before throwing a flag.

"We want to make sure they actually see the foul," McKay said.

Gee, ya think?

Two predictions that I think will happen in the next 10 years:

Regular season will expand to 18 games

Two more teams in the playoffs

Why?

$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$

639800[/snapback]

They want compensation for the 4% they lost in the CBA. Expansion of the playoffs would do it for them. Nice catch. :ph34r:

expanding the playoff pool by two teams.  Caught this on the radio this AM.  Personally, I wouldn't want to see the NFL do this.  How bout you?

Edit--add linky

linky

Also some interesting thoughts about revising what is considered (called) offensive holding.

Gee, ya think?

639796[/snapback]

Let's just expand it to thirty teams. Then football will be like the old days in hockey, when everyone except Hartford made the playoffs...

With the first pick in the 2007 NFL draft the New England Patriots select

But honestly folks it was a 1:1,000,000,000 chance.  The Pats are just lucky that way.

639821[/snapback]

Just like Pittsburgh, a team so down on its luck looking for a franchise player to save them and raise the team up from the ashes wins the NHL draft lottery to get Sidney Crosby. :ph34r:

Just like Pittsburgh, a team so down on its luck looking for a franchise player to save them and raise the team up from the ashes wins the NHL draft lottery to get Sidney Crosby.  :ph34r:

639897[/snapback]

And LeBron James staying in OH and playing for Cleveland. Though, a lottery would get teams to have to play 16 games, versus tanking it in the last 2 weeks because they get better draft positioning.

Expaning the playoffs by 1 team per conference would be stupid IMO. That would most likely mean 1 bye and 3 wildcard games per conference. Sure thats more TV games, but the 1 team with the bye would have such an advantage over the other 6 teams in the playoffs. The bye teams now have a huge advantage, but at least theres 2 teams.

If you are going to expand the playoffs, do it right and expand to 8 teams per conference.

Let's just expand it to thirty teams.  Then football will be like the old days in hockey, when everyone except Hartford made the playoffs...

639822[/snapback]

C'mon, Hartford made the playoffs a few times too. Every year they locked horns with Quebec with the winner getting the rights to get their ass kicked by Montreal in the first round of the Adams division playoffs. Man i miss those days. Of course i dont miss Boston toying with the sabres for 6 or 7 playoff games every year before beating us.

Ahh, but the 4-0 sweep in '93 was oh so sweet!

I'm fine with more playoffs. But I agree with Ramius that adding just one playoff slot per conference is dumb. Work it so no one gets a bye, or maybe everyone gets a week off between the season and the playoffs. All the conference winners play a wildcard team the first week.

I'm fine with more playoffs. But I agree with Ramius that adding just one playoff slot per conference is dumb. Work it so no one gets a bye, or maybe everyone gets a week off between the season and the playoffs. All the conference winners play a wildcard team the first week.

640003[/snapback]

Might let the Bills in. After all, making one playoff game is what it's all about, no matter how you do it.