Redskins in trouble now

Frez

Redskins | Team still under the salary cap

Tue, 21 Mar 2006 22:44:46 -0800

David Elfin, of the Washington Times, reports after numerous signings and contract changes, the Washington Redskins' salary cap number is at $97.574 million, leaving $4.426 million to spend on signing their draft picks and filling other needs.

David Elfin, of the Washington Times, reports after numerous signings and contract changes, the Washington Redskins' salary cap number is at $97.574 million, leaving $4.426 million to spend on signing their draft picks and filling other needs.

638575[/snapback]

Goody!

I hope they have to sell off their draft picks. :P

Goody!

I hope they have to sell off their draft picks. :devil:

638576[/snapback]

I don't think they have many draft picks for this year.

I was just kidding about them being in cap trouble. Can anyone explain to me how they stay under the cap? :P

I don't think they have many draft picks for this year.

I was just kidding about them being in cap trouble. Can anyone explain to me how they stay under the cap?  :devil:

638577[/snapback]

Heard on the radio awhile back that the Skins continue to redo contracts and push the big cap hits back a few years. They reported that Gibbs defended the practice and said any other team could do it as well if they so wanted.

One of these years the Skins are going to be so far over the cap that they'll only be able to afford 30 players and most will have to play both ways. But of course the NFL will probably help them out because, well, they're the Skins... :P

638575[/snapback]

Why do we even care. They'll just restructure six more contracts and be fine, just like they always do.

What the Skins do is look at contracts and say, ok, we owe you $1.5 million this year, we'll convert $1 million to a signing bonus. The player get guarented money and the team gains some cap room.

Do the Skins end up with dead money, yep, but they don't care, so why should we!

The new CBA was a godsend for teams like the Washington Native American People and the Dallas Brokeback Mountain Sheepboys. They all got about an extra $20million to spend so instead of armageddon happening, their credit ceiling was raised on their Amerian Express Titanium accounts.

No wonder Ralphie thought the small market teams got hosed in the deal. They ended up with their old Visa card and no glut of talent on the market willing to listen to less-than Movie Star money for journeyman talent.

Screw Snyder. I hear after he renovated the first building he bought, he had his mother evicted from it.

Can anyone explain to me how they stay under the cap?  :P

638577[/snapback]

They would have been royally screwed if it weren't for the CBA getting done as the last minute. So that is how Snyder gets it done, and we get to laugh when he grabs washed up players for rediculously high contracts.

Note also that the Redskins really do not even need to save much cap room for the draft, since they've traded almost all of their picks away.

638777[/snapback]

And so, they relegate themselves to a constant state of trades and UFA signings to fill their gaps. Because once you start it, it's hard to stop. So instead of paying the rookie minimums and finding talent, they sign others' monetary/performance ca$toffs to whopper contracts.

The N.Y. hockey Rangers finally learned two years ago that this practice does not pan out even when there isn't a salary cap.

I would say that one day it'll catch up to them, but I know better.

I read something recently that stated the Redskins have only one pick(I believe is was #53) in the first FOUR rounds of the draft.

638597[/snapback]

I believe you are right. Their #1 this year got traded to denver during last years draft. They then just traded 3rd and 4th rounders to SF for brandon lloyd. So unless they have extra picks from somewhere or get a comp pick (no way in hell) their 2nd rounder is the only pick they have until the 5th round.