Craig Nall's contract

Packers | Contract breakdown: C. Nall

Tue, 21 Mar 2006 07:16:56 -0800

Jason Wilde, of the Wisconsin State Journal, reports Buffalo Bills QB Craig Nall's three-year contract contained base salaries of $600,000 in 2006, $1.1 million in 2007 and $1.25 million in 2008. Nall said he received a $1.3 million signing bonus as well.

They probably told him that he will have a chance to compete as a starter. He probably knows if Losman tanks, which is possible, he would have a good chance to unseat Holcomb as the starter. It's a decent chance for him. But Losman will be under center in September.

Which may add some credence to the suggestion yesterday that Holcomb was the odd man out.

637771[/snapback]

I don't think either is the odd man out. They will keep all three. I still think some of these moves are designed to send a message to the veterans that no job is safe and they all have to work to be the starters or they will be replaced. Guys like Posey and Kelsay and Shelton and Vincent, etc, who have been around the league a little.

So if they over paid for him, he would have had a better chance to become the starter... :P

637781[/snapback]

No, it means they didnt think THAT highly of him. It is clearly not a we must secure this guy contract. It's actually less than I thought it would be and I thought it wasn't going to be much.

They paid him what they feel he is worth as a third string QB with alot of potential who could quite possibly become the starter if given the chance

Just cause they paid him less then what your average starter makes or roughly what a backup makes doesn't guarantee he is going to be the starter or teh backup.

Kelly, I would have to disagree on the team not thinking that highly of him. I think the opposite, I believe they think very highly of him but are not going to overpay for a guy who only shows potetial and does not have much experience as the starter.

So if they over paid for him, he would have had a better chance to become the starter... :P

637781[/snapback]

No, they were making Nall take the gamble over whether he was to become the starter or not by accepting "backup" money. To put it another way, he was told "we'll give you backup money but an equal chance at earning the starting job." No risk on the Bills' part...if he does become the starter, you drop Losman (you don't keep him around to be a lifetime backup) and spend the cap money extending Nall with a bigger $$ (starter's) contract.

They paid him what they feel he is worth as a third string QB with alot of potential who could quite possibly become the starter if given the chance

Just cause they paid him less then what your average starter makes or roughly what a backup makes doesn't guarantee he is going to be the starter or teh backup.

Kelly, I would have to disagree on the team not thinking that highly of him. I think the opposite, I believe they think very highly of him but are not going to overpay for a guy who only shows potetial and does not have much experience as the starter.

637795[/snapback]

The point is the contract they offered is a VERY good indication, IMO, that he was brought here to compete and be a back-up, with the potential, like you say to start. If they really thought he was going to beat out Losman or Holcomb they would have offered him more. Even his incentives are lowball. It's a fair contract, and a good chance for the kid, and he could become a very good player. But that contract tells me they don't think he's going to start, or even has much of a chance, unless Losman gets hurt, or tanks sometime in the middle of the season.

The point is the contract they offered is a VERY good indication, IMO, that he was brought here to compete and be a back-up, with the potential, like you say to start. If they really thought he was going to beat out Losman or Holcomb they would have offered him more. Even his incentives are lowball. It's a fair contract, and a good chance for the kid, and he could become a very good player. But that contract tells me they don't think he's going to start, or even has much of a chance, unless Losman gets hurt, or tanks sometime in the middle of the season.

637824[/snapback]

Not to dispute your theory because, frankly, it makes the most sense to me, but the afternoon guys on WGR are drawing the exact opposite conclusion.

They didn't mention the specifics of Nall's contract, while I was listening, but said that Nall's contract was "clearly not third string QB money". The Bills, they seem to agree (not sure who "they" are, new to the GR on line thing) that Losman needs to clearly establish himslef as the #1 guy, or he will likely not be in the Bills future plans by the begining of the season.

Their conclusion is Losman will be given a shot during mini-camps, and early pre-season. They seem to think that all Losman has going for him, as of right now, is his status as a #1 pick. They also think that the signing of Nall is an indication that the Bills don't have a lot of confidence that Losman will be able to establish himself as the #1 guy, and are not going to give him the benefit of a doubt, like the previous administration did.

They also seem to think Holcombs' spot on the roster is secure, it is just a matter of where he ends up on the depth chart....FWIW!

A knowlegable party like Clumpy can tell us for sure, but the numbers we have are his cap hit numbers are not necessarily all the details of the contract which are relevant to why Nall signed or what we may pay.

For example,

1. There is a panel of contract reviewers with the NFL who look at incentives and determine whether they are easily made or true incentives. If Bills by contract agree to pay Nall a substantial bonus if he totals a huge amount of yards, throws fo a certain # of TDs or even appears in a certain # of games, but the levels set are ones he never achieved before they certainly would not be relected in the cap and I do not think we would even know unless either party told us.

Likewise if his incentives were for numbers he achieved before or easily obtained roster bonuses there is a cap hit decreed by this secret committee for that player.

2. When bonuses are paid they must be reported but until they are made and paid they can be a secret to us.

For what they are Nall's #s are reasonable back-up #s we can afford to pay for reasonable back-up.

They probably told him that he will have a chance to compete as a starter. He probably knows if Losman tanks, which is possible, he would have a good chance to unseat Holcomb as the starter. It's a decent chance for him. But Losman will be under center in September.

637600[/snapback]

That is a pretty hefty SB to give a backup QB.

Not to dispute your theory because, frankly, it makes the most sense to me, but the afternoon guys on WGR are drawing the exact opposite conclusion.

They didn't mention the specifics of Nall's contract, while I was listening, but said that Nall's contract was "clearly not third string QB money".  The Bills, they seem to agree (not sure who "they" are, new to the GR on line thing) that Losman needs to clearly establish himslef as the #1 guy, or he will likely not be in the Bills future plans by the begining of the season. 

Their conclusion is Losman will be given a shot during mini-camps, and early pre-season.  They seem to think that all Losman has going for him, as of right now, is his status as a #1 pick.  They also think that the signing of Nall is an indication that the Bills don't have a lot of confidence that Losman will be able to establish himself as the #1 guy, and are not going to give him the benefit of a doubt, like the previous administration did. 

They also seem to think Holcombs' spot on the roster is secure, it is just a matter of where he ends up on the depth chart....FWIW!

637846[/snapback]

I still don't get why the GR personalities are saying this is possibly the end of JP. Right from the start Levy and Jauron said that they would bring another vet in to compete for the starting QB position and no position is safe. To me, its all radio blather, something to stir up conversation and controversy. I believe all three QB's are going to get the same opportunity at the start and by training camp we should see who the top contenders are going to be. My money is on JP and Nall.

That is a pretty hefty SB to give a backup QB.

637862[/snapback]

Not in today's NFL. Not at all. If you want a guy that is a total project and makes the league minimum, sure. But his salary and bonus, as well as the cap hit for this year is about the same money they paid Matthews. A million per. He makes 1.1 mil this year counting his bonus. For a Qb that is peanuts. Holcomb was brought here specifically to be a back-up and his contract is for more money.

Not in today's NFL. Not at all. If you want a guy that is a total project and makes the league minimum, sure. But his salary and bonus, as well as the cap hit for this year is about the same money they paid Matthews. A million per. He makes 1.1 mil this year counting his bonus. For a Qb that is peanuts. Holcomb was brought here specifically to be a back-up and his contract is for more money.

637882[/snapback]

I was just looking that up and came across some detail here. Even says he'd rather be backup here than starter there. His 4 year, $6.6 million contract came with a $2M signing bonus....and that's before the salary cap went up $20M...

637882[/snapback]

My bad...

I don't think either is the odd man out. They will keep all three. I still think some of these moves are designed to send a message to the veterans that no job is safe and they all have to work to be the starters or they will be replaced. Guys like Posey and Kelsay and Shelton and Vincent, etc, who have been around the league a little.

637777[/snapback]

And if one of them goes down with a major injury, I'm sure Shane Matthews could be talked into coming back one more time. :P

I still don't get why the GR personalities are saying this is possibly the end of JP.  Right from the start Levy and Jauron said that they would bring another vet in to compete for the starting QB position and no position is safe.  To me, its all radio blather, something to stir up conversation and controversy.  I believe all three QB's are going to get the same opportunity at the start and by training camp we should see who the top contenders are going to be.  My money is on JP and Nall.

637877[/snapback]

I think it is possible that the Bills signed Nall, because they needed a third QB! Rather than go with a complete project/nobody (which they sort of alread have in JP), they went with someone they thought had potential to be okay, should JP flame out...Holcomb is there, as the backup, just in case we are actually a decent team, and either Nall or Losman (whoever is the #1 guy) gets injured. Nall has even less playing time than Losman, but he has more time in the leauge, coming from a system that has produced some decent NFL QB talent over the last 15 years. I think the GR guys are just running with this, and it really is just pure conjecture on their point. Sure, it doesn't look as good for Losman, as it would be if Marv, or Jauron just came out and said "JP is our guy, rain or snow, thick or thin." Losman had that chance once, and wasn't yet up to it...

Nall gets $1.9 million this season, with incentives average over $2.0 million a season.  3 year deal with ability to re-negotiate if he's the starter.  Sounds a lot like when Carolina signed Jake Delhomme.

637962[/snapback]

Where is that number from? According to the report that I quoted above, he makes less than 1.1 mil this year. It says Nall himself said he got a 1.3 mil bonus, and his salary is 600K.