I'm just curious. How many posters have ANY Div I

This board sucks.

I'll start with me first. None. Zip. Nada. Zilch. I'm sure that this doesn't come as a shock to the masses on this board. I go thru spurts with my posts. It's usually is based on how I'm feeling that particular day. The majority, if not all, of my information comes from the internet, newspaper, that damn addictive ESPN and it's scroll, idiots at work and from some of our fellow posters. Surprised? Just a gut feeling but I'm sure you're not. I'm just an armchair QB wannabe who lobs on the couch agonizing over the misfortunes of my favorite team, the Buffalo Bills. I'm ALWAYS trying to devise and conjure up any conceivable way to help to improve MY team. I'm sooo sick and tired of the last several years. I tried to see the good of what this organization and it's administers were doing. I even disagreed at times, matter of fact, I was even right once in awhile! By the way, did you ever play pin the tail on the donkey? I won that once or twice too! Even when I don't enter a post I still read this board faithfully. I'm not intending to offend anyone but I do see alot of posters like me on this board. So before we all burn Marv, Jauron and the first born of our newly aquired "depth" FAs, can we let this thing play out alittle bit before we write this season off? Thanks, I appreciate your time to read this much too honest confession.

PS. For the ones who REALLY do have the experience that I asked for in the title of this post, could you be nice enough to give your professional input? Us diehards really need to have some accurate perspective. Thanks again everybody and I hope that WE all have a very satisfying season.

635401[/snapback]

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Right. Because my opinion doesn't match yours I must not be a fan :doh: You must be Republican.

I don't have a coaching back ground. But I'll tell you what I do have. I have as much NFL GM experience as Marv does. From what I see. The only thing Marv has that I don't which got Marv the job was Ralph's phone number. 

Come on Pro-Marv guys. Bring it on baby. Instead of attacking the posts and the posters. Bring the reasons why Marv should be GM. I have yet to see one other then Ralph's friendship. You know why? There are none.

If I'm a fan how can I question what the Bills are doing? Because I am a fan. I Care. I care enough to point out the flaws in this team. When a completly unqualified man is given control of the team. Your damn right I'm going to raise some hell. It was time for this franchise to go forward. You can't go forward when your looking behind to your past. Let the past go.

635539[/snapback]

I wish there was a gun to your head smiley.

I'll start with me first. None. Zip. Nada. Zilch. I'm sure that this doesn't come as a shock to the masses on this board. I go thru spurts with my posts. It's usually is based on how I'm feeling that particular day. The majority, if not all, of my information comes from the internet, newspaper, that damn addictive ESPN and it's scroll, idiots at work and from some of our fellow posters. Surprised? Just a gut feeling but I'm sure you're not. I'm just an armchair QB wannabe who lobs on the couch agonizing over the misfortunes of my favorite team, the Buffalo Bills. I'm ALWAYS trying to devise and conjure up any conceivable way to help to improve MY team. I'm sooo sick and tired of the last several years. I tried to see the good of what this organization and it's administers were doing. I even disagreed at times, matter of fact, I was even right once in awhile! By the way, did you ever play pin the tail on the donkey? I won that once or twice too! Even when I don't enter a post I still read this board faithfully. I'm not intending to offend anyone but I do see alot of posters like me on this board. So before we all burn Marv, Jauron and the first born of our newly aquired "depth" FAs, can we let this thing play out alittle bit before we write this season off? Thanks, I appreciate your time to read this much too honest confession.

PS. For the ones who REALLY do have the experience that I asked for in the title of this post, could you be nice enough to give your professional input? Us diehards really need to have some accurate perspective. Thanks again everybody and I hope that WE all have a very satisfying season.

635401[/snapback]

I almost coached little league once.

I don't have a coaching back ground. But I'll tell you what I do have. I have as much NFL GM experience as Marv does. From what I see. The only thing Marv has that I don't which got Marv the job was Ralph's phone number. 

Come on Pro-Marv guys. Bring it on baby. Instead of attacking the posts and the posters. Bring the reasons why Marv should be GM. I have yet to see one other then Ralph's friendship. You know why? There are none.

635539[/snapback]

I believe that Marv filled the GM role for awhile while with Montreal in the CFL. Addiionally, he has a head coach in Div I college football so he has recruitung experience too.

Actually, Marv is more qualified as a GM that Mr. Polian was when he got his first GM job. By your own admission, he worked out OK.

- Bob

Well I'm not sure if this is supposed to prove knowledge. I played in high school and one -year of Junior College. At 5'10 180 and only 4.8 speed I think I reached my potential !!

Many of the friends I had in High School that didn't play FB were more knowledgeable than the guys who did. There isn't really a corrolation. I have two friends who played Pro Ball.... Terry Tautolo (Seahawks, Dolphins) and John Tautolo (Pats, Giants,..camp with the Raiders) and they don't even follow the game. In fact, I knew more than John did about the guys on the Patriots... when he was there.. Stanley Morgan, Rick Sanford, Steve Grogan.. that era.

Not sure if someone is trying to make an argument that playing the game should mean your views hold more weight. I think that premise is completely fall.

When I told John that I was concerned the Bills would waste a high pick on a workout warrior like Brodrick Bunkley, like the Bills did a few years ago (Erik Flowers), he had never heard of either guy. So we talked about our kids instead !!

No the idea was to get some input from people who were involved in aspects like scouting talent, filmrooms, player and coach associations and just some general knowledge on how organized operations would operate. I realize that there are many players who really don't know or even care what is going on around them, that it's just a business for them. People would be shocked to know that there is more players than you would think that don't even have a clue on past greats who have played the game less than 20 years ago. Some of these current players are just great athletes, nothing more and they don't care to be. If they are satisfied with that then that's great. I don't see anything wrong with that. I just wanted to hear from anyone who might of had or has some inside insights, opinions and input who has/had the interest and passion of the intricacy of this sport and league.

Mmmm, no football experience for me either.

In fact, I got my butt kicked doing the pugil sticks in basic training at Fort Dix. Pugil sticks are the giant Q-tips which men use to pummel each other now and then.

My opponent had played HS football, while I was more the science club type...

Bam! A couple quick belts, and I'm done.

But I digress...

To answer the question/point of your post. D-1 no, probably could've with out a doubt. Started playing football at age 8 in full pads. Wanted to follow in my big brothers footsteps. All together I have about 10 years of football playing experience. But, a diving (yes swimming) accident fugged my neck up really bad. This devistated my family and I. I knew it was over for football. I didn't sit around and mourn though, I got on with my life. The passion to play was gone and the thrill of the sound, smell and intensity disappeared. I love the game and I love my Bills. People on this board are intitled to say what ever they want. Some of you I know. Some of you are new here. It is a great place to shoot the sh-- (so to speak). And that's what makes this board so great. Were the biggest underdogs in the league and sometimes it's frustrating but we all hang in there. Keep your heads up guys and gals it's a new beginning for all of us.

I don't have a coaching back ground. But I'll tell you what I do have. I have as much NFL GM experience as Marv does.

635539[/snapback]

Cool, which team were you the GM of for two months?

I never played, or coached football. I have always thought if I had tried out in high school I would have been good, because I am a big guy. Then I would have gone division 1. After an excellent college career I would have gone pro, but would have gotten bored with it and walked away after my first two championship rings. My sheer potential makes me an expert, and a valuable asset to this board.

While I'm thinking about it, I just thought of another (more funny than informational) situation where this knowledge helped out: in pick-up football I play with my residents here at Pitt on Saturdays.

Usually, there's about 20+ of us, so we can play a full 11-on-11 game with subs. From about early Jan or so, when I play with em, I usually run the defense and a little of the offense of our side. On D, which shocked the heck out of me, we ran a cover two in the tampa mode we want to run here. I was quite amazed to see that with a bunch of 18 and 19 year olds we were able to not only run it effectively (with relatively balanced teams against each other) and get a number of turnovers that "just happened".

After the first week we ran it I thought it was just coincidence, but since we've used it the games went from being lopsided depending on who got the "good qb" out of the 20+ of us, to my team winning 4 straight with a revolving qb.

Now, this is just silly backyard football with a bunch of kids (me at 24 being the oldest) messing around and enjoying a sport we love. But I can now imagine how well an "offensive" defense like that can work for a lean mean fighting machine like TKO, or Fletch or heck even Posey (though I think Crowell may be more of a better fit should we use more zone than last year) will look in this. Or for someone like me with only marginal speed being able to play safety or mlb because I can read where the Qb's going to throw.

I think on Defense, once the coaches finish looking at each player and then evaluating how they fit or who they need to get to fit, we'll see a very fast, very aggressive team like Marv's been saying. The only problem as I see it is over-aggressiveness, or like Gray used to say "trying to do someone else's job". If our safeties play smart and don't bite on the playaction, that goes a long way to stopping the plays that make Brady (and Manning) thorns in the side of defenses, either over the middle or deep.

635510[/snapback]

im a freshamn at pitt

Over 3,000? Wow. You should get together with the other guy and talk about someday kissing a girl.  :doh:

635813[/snapback]

I kissed a girl once. Must've been a mistake.....I ended up marrying her.

Next thing I know she's showing me her "thing". Then her belly started getting

big and she had to go to the hospital. She came back with a baby!

I wonder what happened.

Cool thanks for the post. I enjoyed reading about a new and more informed position of our coaches.

Well Tipster, thanks much for the well-wishes! I can give you one that jumps right out at me - the Pitt / ND game from last year. Essentially it was the Patriots' O vs the Dolphins' old D. Throughout the game, Charlie Weis and his staff kept Pitt reeling with screens and draws, that we had not a clue how to defend against. Or so I thought until I met with these guys. I can't say entirely for the NFL, but for college the following were obvious to me:

1) Preparation - These guys have awesome technology at their disposal. With that tech, we were able to dissect the game from 8 or so different angles, focusing on everything from the play itself, to how the refs were situated, to what hand signals were being called out.

The main facet of this prep was the labeling of plays - before each video we knew (based on the various abbreviations) what formation ND started out with, any formation shifts/motions that were performed and their final set formation before the snap. We also knew how many times they called a play out of said formation, based not only on that game, but three games prior to that game (since it was ND's first game, we looked at the AFC Divisional, Championship and Superbowl - which, let me say was sweet!).

Which may lead one to ask, if you have all that data, how the heck do you let the same play go on over and over? Well, this part coincides with the Bills, so you guys'll love this:

2) In-Game Adjustments - DC's like our former DC Gray and Pitt's current DC Rhoads enjoy "being in the trenches" with their players. As a result, they're on the field and cannot see offenses to the level that you can in the booth, as in the booth you see things much like you see coach-cam video - with a heck of a lot more detail. As a result, there are at least 6 or 7 voices chattering over the headsets, giving him an idea of tendencies, formations and situational play calling, which the DC then has to interpret on the fly and call a play. While I can see the morale boost this would be to your players, having that many voices at once in your head while a game is going on has to be a bit daunting. Coupled with a Defensive Minded HC that tunes in and out of that system like Wannstedt (or Jauron in our case) that's got to be even worse.

Finally, 3) TV vs Coach Cam: I think this is the biggest thing, which I've alluded to in both 1 and 2. For a great idea of the difference between TV and Coaches' views of plays, I'd refer to Rod Marinelli's PC on the Lions' website, which I now see in hindsight as very astute. To put it simply (as he did), "the film doesn't lie". Sure, we complain about Josh Reed's drops or Gandy being out of position (particularly in that NE game with the Sack of Doom), but to see that Gandy actually had his man blocked and Anderson stumbled in his read of blocking or Reed dropped it not because of a bad throw but because he a DB made a very sophisticated bump right before he caught it is amazing. It's one thing to make an excuse with tv footage - but when you look at the overhead and sideline coach cams you see who jumped offside, who missed a block, who indicated that it was a run or pass and who doesn't break out of their routes quick enough.

For an example that also pertains to us, as some would like him drafted by the Bills, we looked at Spencer from Pitt and his play at guard. When coaches say someone graded out as the best player on the line I understand what they mean now - as there are 2-3 (or tons more in the NFL) assistants that go through every snap the player is in and grade them based on those factors. As I'm learning all of this myself, it is changing how I view players - I am trying not to rely solely on people just saying "Josh Reed has terrible skills at WR" I want to see the plays he's in, in particular that TD he got vs NE when he ran around like 5 or 6 people.

Sorry for the long wind and lack of humor, but feel free to ask anything else! Hope I helped!

635490[/snapback]

Over 3,000? Wow. You should get together with the other guy and talk about someday kissing a girl.  :doh:

635813[/snapback]

It's pretty easy to sit behind a computer and pretend you're something you're not. You make all these quotes which seem like you're dealing with little man syndrome.....ya know when the runt of the litter barks at anything passing by because they're too insecure with themselves. Making comments about kissing girls and whatever other crap fills your adolescent mind destroys your credibility and is best left at 7th period lunch. You are on this self-serving crusade against a hall of fame coach because he has no prior GM Experience.

Would you have considered Mike Holmgren as equally unsuitable as a GM because he made the transition from coaching to personnel as well? The only way to gain experience is through doing something...every great GM was once a rookie GM. I'd say a Hall of Fame coach with a well-known reputation for evaluating character and the intangibles it takes to be a successful NFL player make a pretty solid resume.

"Most general managers keep a list of people they consider up-and-comers in their desk drawer," says Polian, who was the Bills' general manager from 1985-1992. "It's based on your own impressions -- people you've met or people you've seen work over time. (Former Buffalo Bills coach) Marv Levy was a great believer in having your scouts scouting coaches as well as players. "He trained me to do this many years ago". "Marv was a great mentor to me for evaluating talent and character".- Bill Polian

I think it's time you gave it a rest and come back in October when the proof's in the pudding.